Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    'lo all

Got a checklist here for Imperial mathematics which shows me the basic techniques I should know when I arrive. There's a section A - stuff which I apparently should already know with just single maths - and a section B - stuff which I should know if I've done further mathematics.

I have completed the Edexcel specification up to Pure 6 and was just checking if this covers all that they wanted from section A and B. However, there are two parts which I do not remember doing. So I was wondering if anyone could confirm if these are found in the Edexcel Heinemann Pure 1-6 text books. If anyone else has the checklist too, it’s the bits in bold.

1) Sum of series: arithmetic and geometric progressions summed to n terms; sum of geometric series; exponential series

14) Sum and product of the roots of a quadratic equation
    I'm not even sure if that means sum of exponential series or just "exponential series"!?

So should I have covered those two bold bits in the Edexcel Heinemann Pure 1-6 course?

Thanks
    All the best

ReputationRep:
    If exponential series are power series, then you should've met them in Edexcel P6: Taylor and Maclaurin series.

As for #14, it's basically:
    Let the roots of the quadratic equation x^2+ax+b be s and t. Then s+t=-a and s.t=b. To prove this, you know that: (x-s)(x-t)=x^2+ax+b. So just equate coefficients. The same follows for cubic, quartic, etc. equations. I think this is properly introduced in MEI P5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dvs)
    As for #14, it's basically:
    Let the roots of the quadratic equation x^2+ax+b be s and t. Then s+t=-a and s.t=b. To prove this, you know that: (x-s)(x-t)=x^2+ax+b. So just equate coefficients. The same follows for cubic, quartic, etc. equations. I think this is properly introduced in MEI P5.
    just expanding on this...

really you should consider ax^2+bx+c, not x^2+ax+b :santaclau

let the roots = s & t

(x - s)(x - t) = 0
    x^2 - x(s+t) + st = 0

ax^2 + bx + c = 0

so

x^2 + (b/a)x + c/a = 0

so

s + t = -b/a

st = c/a

introduced on page 150 of my big red book. woohoo.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 12, 2005

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.