Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mankyscot2)
    I think I have been doing too many press-ups. My right hand wrist hurts constantly and even after a few rest days it has not fully healed. I do roughly 50 press-ups a day but spread out so I do 10 before breakfast, after a jog and 20 at night time with a further 20 after doing 50 sit-ups. I also swim just about every day and do weights when I feel like it.

I think I need to give my wrist a break but I'm not sure if its the best thing to stop doing press-ups all together, any thoughts?

I have not tried any thing like deep heat and it is not sore enough to go to the doctor so it is only a mild injury but it may be a recurring one.

I also find that doing press-ups properly, i.e. hands a shoulder with apart and body completely straight is an awful lot harder than hands being a bit further spaced, and it also puts more pressure and tension on my wrists.

I use push up bars. i found they help with wrist pain. my wrist hurt wen i put my palms flat to the floor cos of the bend but using bars has strengthened them and now all is cool lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toonarmy)
    I use push up bars. i found they help with wrist pain. my wrist hurt wen i put my palms flat to the floor cos of the bend but using bars has strengthened them and now all is cool lol
    Yeah I think that is what is making my wrist hurt is the bend on my wrist and the strain it puts up with. So did you used to use push up bars and now you do them just do normal push ups with palms to the floor? How long did it take for your wrists to strengthen? Also, if you use push up bars currently, do you think it will affect your performance at OASC when you have to do it 'hardcore'?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think that is what is making my wrist hurt is the bend on my wrist and the strain it puts up with. So did you used to use push up bars and now you do them just do normal push ups with palms to the floor? How long did it take for your wrists to strengthen? Also, if you use push up bars currently, do you think it will affect your performance at OASC when you have to do it 'hardcore'?

I use them now from time to time, but normal push ups did use to hurt my wrist, but since using the bars they have stregnthen after a few weeks and now i can do normall ones quite happily.

ReputationRep:

I also find that doing press-ups properly, i.e. hands a shoulder with apart and body completely straight is an awful lot harder than hands being a bit further spaced, and it also puts more pressure and tension on my wrists.
    Mix it up, further apart, neutral and inner. The former will work your chest more and the latter will work your tricep. I find mixing it up keeps my attention on the job and ultimately increases your strength in different areas (contributing to the neutral).

ReputationRep:
    If your wrist hurts, then stop! Even minor pain indicates something is wrong, and if ignored can lead to more serious injury. We have dozens of bods in our gym on rehab because they carried on training through injury- no pain, no gain attitude. Take a trip to the docs, he'll probably give you some anti-inflammatory drugs and a little peace of mind.

As for press-up bars... yes they're good, but only for ensuring that you get a full extension of the triceps. If you're not used to training they should be used with care to prevent over extension and further injury. An alternative to press ups could be tricep dips - either on the parallel bars (hardcore) or against a chair with feet flat on ground. Admittedly, these won't work your chest as much, but they may alleviate some of the pain in your wrist. And as Erk said... mix it up a bit. Go for balanced training so all muscle groups develop at similar rate.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Erk and REME-Bod, thats great advice.

One question for Erk is, what is the difference between further apart, neutral and inner? I have an idea what further apart is and I think inner are the ones I am doing at the moment (shoulder width apart) but what is neutral?

ReputationRep:
    neutral is shoulder width (standard pushups) inner is closegrip (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exerc...epspushups.htm), wider is just that, further than neutral. You may find the close grip version harder at first so you may not want to have your hands touching.

Oh and Dips, both tri and chest, flare your elbos to hit your chest more, keep them parallel to hit the tris. If i were you guys i'd be concentrating more on the pull/chin-ups, mix them up too. Overhand (pams facing away) are what most people find harder, you can do this wide grip, neutral and close too. Underhand (palms facing).

ReputationRep:
    Why should we be concentrating on pull-ups if they are not required of us in the fitness tests?

ReputationRep:
    I thought they were?

scrap that then, but if you want functional strength, do them.

ReputationRep:
    Why should we be concentrating on pull-ups if they are not required of us in the fitness tests?
    Cos press ups and sit ups are not the only exercises you will come across once in training. Cycling isn't in the test either, but that doesn't mean you should preclude it from a training program.

The key is variety to ensure even development, minimal strain or injury, whilst keeping it interesting enough to ensure you carry on.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I understand that, but Erk said that we should be 'concentrating' on pull-ups, I was just wondering why. But now I understand that it was because they thought they were a part of the fitness tests.

ReputationRep:
    Just a thought, but you might be over training. My body shape is totally wrong for push ups and I find them absolutely murderous, so when I first got into training I was trying to do about 40 a day, much like yourself spread out over 3 sessions. The results were a permanently sore chest and little strength gains. I consulted a few trainers and physios I know and they all said that individual muscle groups need at least a day to recover after a work out. I now alternate a day of push ups, sit ups and general weights training with days of no strength training, and I've found the benefits have been enormous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    When's your date? 100 full press ups a day? You're either very butch or will end up having weak hips. You get to do it against a bench at OASC.
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silly Wench)
    100 full press ups a day?! I wish I could do half or even a quarter of that! Girls do press ups against a bench (about 12 inches high if I remember correctly) I think, which does make it easier for us. We have to give a best effort of at least 10 in a minute. I recon you'll ace it though, seeing how much you are capable of doing! Well done!
    wot do you mean against a bench?

ReputationRep:
    by the way on the subject of wrist trouble, it could be tendonitis. you get that from the tendons swelling in your wrist when you do too hard work. my bro in law can't lift heavy stuff any more cos he did too much when he was younger. you should take it easy. i got a bad wrist too, and it's sad cos it stops me doing stuff. :-(

ReputationRep:
    I base my training all on that site, shame I can't place a chinup bar in my room, could really do with one.

About resting; obviously you should rest your muscles whenever they feel strained or sore, but what if it's been going on for 5+ days? I went for an extended session recently and it feels bad not having to excercise them for more than a couple of days. Will light work be ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluetooth)
    I base my training all on that site, shame I can't place a chinup bar in my room, could really do with one.

About resting; obviously you should rest your muscles whenever they feel strained or sore, but what if it's been going on for 5+ days? I went for an extended session recently and it feels bad not having to excercise them for more than a couple of days. Will light work be ok?
    Why can't you put a chin-up bar in your room? Have you thought about a door frame type?

As for muscular soreness, this can be dramatically reduced by doing a proper warm up, followed by some good controlled stretches aftwerwards.

Jim

ReputationRep:
    I've just installed a chin-up bar in my doorway and was wondering which type of grip works which muscles. I have tried searching the net but for some reason I just can't pinpoint the info I'm looking for. Anyone got any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmaLS)
    I've just installed a chin-up bar in my doorway and was wondering which type of grip works which muscles. I have tried searching the net but for some reason I just can't pinpoint the info I'm looking for. Anyone got any ideas?
    Underarm (palms toward you) works mainly the biceps, lats, obliques and abs... the closer the grip isolates the biceps to a certain degree.

Overhand grip works biceps, trapezoids, deltoids and pecs (and abs)... pretty much shoulders and upper arms. Again, moving the grip wider/closer has more effect on different muscles.

I'll see if I can dig out a link to an abs/upper body training programme I used to use.

ReputationRep:
    Uhmmm, overhand pull ups don't work your pecs mate, they work predominantly exactly the same muscles as underhand grip, a slighter greater emphasis is put on the biceps with underhand grip however.

I'd stick to what they want you to do in the test as to which ones to do, if its underarm, do underarm, its overarm, do overarm.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.