Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b16a2)
    Sorry to hear about the shin splints, never thought about skipping causing shin splints!
    When I run it's fine - when most people run they strike with their heel first, but when I was skipping I was more on the balls of my feet - same with sparring. I wonder if that makes a difference?

ReputationRep:
    I'm no expert on shin splints but I believe there are different types depending on the area that is being put under pressure!?
    Bleeding things haha
    I have slightly slowed down my training, so if I am accepted to start IOT, I dont risk injury, but I'm hoping to increase fitness slightly, but more or less maintain where I am now.

ReputationRep:
    The effect of martial arts on VO2 Max.

Well back in May at OASC I got a rather lousy 6.01 on the bleep test - combination of not being fit enough and too nervous for breakfast. This translates to a VO2 Max score of about 33.2. I had my VO2 max done today and the only thing I've done since OASC is kickboxing (padwork, sparring, skipping and press-ups/sit-ups). My score was 40.9 - translating to 8.4 on the bleep test. Plus a resting pulse rate of 67 bpm. Gives me hope as I've until May to really improve it.

So the moral of the story is - Martial arts very good for fitness. I would heavily recommend it (just wear trainers if there's skipping involved!). Imagine how fit you could get if you did that and the gym/running/cycling. Excellent advice to try martial arts b16a2.

ReputationRep:
    Tips for the bleep test.

I had a fitness assessment at the gym today and we discussed ways to improve my bleep test result and apparantly one thing that can seriously help is something called 'agility training'. For example - running small figures of 8 marked on the ground as fast as you can, improving your foot work, running around some kind of marking on the floor making sharp turns at specific points etc. People who do this will therefore improve their ability to turn at each end and it will seriously improve your score.

ReputationRep:
    A good piece of advice there, its important to remember that doing the bleep test isnt ALL about the VO2 max... technique plays an important part.

ReputationRep:
    I put the bleep test onto my mp3, found myself a basketball court and set off every day or two trying to improve my score, after a week or two my friend duly told me that a basketball court is roughly 26 to 28 metres (doh!) I was a little concearned before I found this out as I was only getting to Level 6 before collapsing in a heap

ReputationRep:
    Good man!! Thats what i call dedication... although if you can push yourself to level 10 on a basketball court then who knows what level you'd do on the real one!

Just out of interest, where did you get the bleep test from? Just downloaded it?

ReputationRep:
    When running, try relaxing your shoulders, and run with your arms relaxed almost down the side of your body, I found this helped to a) get any tension from nervousness etc.. out of my system and b) reduce the amount of energy wasted on using arms to 'pump' at lower levels of the bleep test. I may have looked a bit silly, but I found I had a bit left at the end of the bleep test for the press-ups and sit-ups and went to 13-4.
    May not work for everyone but just something I found helped.

ReputationRep:
    hey folks,
    I'm a newbie and everyone here seems to know each other but i'm doing my degree in sports at stirling so is it okay if i offer a few tips?

ReputationRep:
    Okay anyway basics first

FIDWOPRS the acronym every one who is training for anything should use!

Frequencey
    Intensity
    Duration
    Workload
    Overload
    Progression
    Reversibility
    Specificity

Everyone knows the basic 3 times a week 45 mins at a time at 80% is best right? Wrong.

The latest out of the academic types is 5 times a week 3 times at 70% and twice all out breaking your Neck. Believe me from the evidence i've been shown it's effective.

Workload. MUST BE TAILORED TO YOU! Just cos the guy or girl next to you is doing it doesn't mean you have to! It's a simple mathematical process. Do your one rep max and work it from there. Or for CV stuff it tends to be a mental thing. We all know when we are going at 50 60 or 70% of our capacity but honesty is key here. You cheat and it's your career on the line make no mistakes fate is but what we make.

Overload. When doing free or machine weights the principle of overload applies if going for sheer strength is the goal. Overload your muscles. You shouldn't be able to get out those last few reps of the third set. If you can do it comfortably it's time to apply. . .

Progression. Programs must progress or they become stale and your development stops. Obvious eh? You'd be surprised how many people don't believe this. Howver gradual progress is needed. It aint a sprint. Its long and hard but its rewarding!

Reversibility. Your progress will stop and even reverse if you stop training! Is it worth all those weeks of hard work for a few nights on the beer and a two day hangover? Hell No!!! Keep it up and you'll be fitter healthier than you've ever been!

Specificity. Perhaps the most important. Don't train in a gym for an outdoor activity! bye all means use weight machines etc but not treadmills,! Run outside on the grass on hills on the road, in the rain! Let your body get used to the stresses and strains it'll do you the world of good.

sorry if that rambled a bit!

ReputationRep:
    hey guys hope your all well. as for the advice with fitness, most of its great! im a personal trainer/fitness instructor and listening/looking at the advice here, surprises me how knowledgable people are here with regards to fitness, its great! as for advice on the bleep test, i cant stress enough that alot of it is to do with technique and preperation. i found that if you get into the swing of it then you can just keep on going like a duracel bunny, whereas if your trying to find your rhythm all the way thru it due to lack of practice then its a uphill struggle all the way. also preparing your breathing makes your running and oxygen intake alot more efficient. when i did my bleep test at oasc i prepared my breathing by taking very deep breaths and holding it for about 7-10 seconds and slowly releasing it so that more oxygen can get into and around the muscles. i did this for 5 mins before the bleep test and another tip is to try and keep your arms low so not to expend unnecessary ebergy but also to allow your diaphragm to open up and contarct to its fullest potential in order to allow greater intakes of breath and oxygen. i managed to hit 14.1 and could of kept going for atleast a few more beeps so just proves it works. however, everyone is different and can have different techniques which works for them. hope this helps guys and gals. sorry for waffling if it seemed that way :rolleyes:

regards
    rogue

--------------

DOOOOHHHHH!
    please go easy on the spelling mistake! EBERGY! why didnt i see that one. idiot . oh well, that was obviously meant to say energy. a great officer i'll make with spelling errors like that lol!

rogue

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any idea how big a part swimming has at IOT? I manage to get through RTS at Halton with my swimming. I think I could do with some lessons though, not my strongest form of phys!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for all the advice; loads of good stuff.
    (Original post by stirlingboy)
    hey folks,
    I'm a newbie and everyone here seems to know each other but i'm doing my degree in sports at stirling so is it okay if i offer a few tips?
    We like people on here who have knowledge and experience so 'tip' away! Thanks for taking the time to do it

ReputationRep:
    Top tip! most has already been said but remember only one foot has to touch the line, if you pace yourself you can save yourself around abouts a metre each turn depending on how tall you are and then push off with the trailing leg. Breathing as already mentioned and technique is very important but above all else determination and agood level of cv fitness will see you through to the pressups and situps!

ReputationRep:
    Rumour has it that there isn't a 1.5 mile run on the fam visit for IOT. Just at the start of IOT for streaming purposes:

http://www.mfat.co.uk/forums/viewtop...5a5a9772ea3f78

EDIT: I can confirm this on my letter too after digging it out. It also says that there will be a fitness circuit giving instruction on ways to prepare for IOT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveyBoy84)

Just out of interest, where did you get the bleep test from? Just downloaded it?
    The PTI at work. I can try to send it to you if you want, when I finish my nights

ReputationRep:
    It says on my IOT provisional acceptance letter that the bleep test consists of 25m shuttle runs - I always thought they were 20m shuttle runs.

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmaLS)
    It says on my IOT provisional acceptance letter that the bleep test consists of 25m shuttle runs - I always thought they were 20m shuttle runs.

Any ideas?

My provisional acceptance says 25m as well but in the gym at OASC they said that it was 20 metres. (seemed a lot longer though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reggie_boy)
    My provisional acceptance says 25m as well but in the gym at OASC they said that it was 20 metres. (seemed a lot longer though).
    Typo?

ReputationRep:
    My provisional acceptance says that the shuttle run is 25m (like yours) Although at OASC the instructors in the gym said that it was 20m.
    What I meant to say was that the shuttle runs seemed more like 50m to me my fitness is not too hot (sorry working nights and my brain isn't working too well)

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.