Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It does seem like a long distance when you're nervous anyway! I'm going to assume it's a typo on the letter.

ReputationRep:
    They may well do it on purpose to put the fear of bejesus into you a bit more!! it worked with me. More than likley you are right and it is a typo.

ReputationRep:
    I'll choose to see it as a 'challenge' then.....

ReputationRep:
    I will remain a coward and hope that it was a typo.

ReputationRep:
    The distance is the same for pre-IOT as it is at OASC. When I was doing my bleep test at OASC a few weeks ago, there were people on the fam visit, and they were doing the test alongside us. So don't worry they don't put an extra 5metres on hehe. It's either a typo, or 25m is the standard distance.

ReputationRep:
    I've read everywhere that it's 20 so I'll assume typo. Doesn't make any difference really I guess - it's still the same as the one at OASC.

Thanks for clearing that up

Also, I'm just trying to get an idea of the streaming times for the IOT fitness groups. Is it under 9 minutes roughly to get into A? Or maybe 9.5, 10, any takers? Anyone know of any women getting into A stream?

ReputationRep:
    Hey folks back again, the 'beep' test or the Multi Stage Fitness Test (MSFT) is always a standard 20 m test in order for the results to be directly comparable to the scale and others. hope that helps. Whats the required level at OASC any way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stirlingboy)
    Whats the required level at OASC any way?
    For a 17-24 yr old male, you need to reach 9.1

ReputationRep:
    Ok cool shouldnt be a prob then! Any one know what the standard of rugby is like in the RAF then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveyBoy84)
    For a 17-24 yr old male, you need to reach 9.1
    I know that females (17-24) have to achieve between 6 & 10 on bleep test but is there an optimum?

ReputationRep:
    As I understand it the bleep test is now maximal (ie you run until your little legs will carry you no more) the levels you need to reach still remains the same which if memory recalls are situated earlier in this sticky. if I am wrong I do apologise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stirlingboy)
    Ok cool shouldnt be a prob then! Any one know what the standard of rugby is like in the RAF then?
    Ask Rory Underwood... I believe he's played a game or two. He even made the 1st team on occasions. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I rang the Physical Education Flight at Cranwell today and asked how best to prepare for IOT PT sessions. There wasn't an awful lot they could tell me but I did get the following:

Disclaimer: these notes are taken from things I scribbled down during the phone call so do not blame Cranwell if they're inaccurate - it'll be my fault if they are.

Running, the max distance will be about 6.5 to 7 miles. There won't be any specific runs with weight on your back, but there will be walks and 'double time' with weight. I reckon getting on the treadmill, with a backpack, on an incline and walk/slow jog would be helpful. If you're lucky enough to live in a safe, hilly area get oustide and do it in your boots to break them in. Digressing slightly, I went into a running shop the other day and found out that orthotics are about £15 each (£30 per pair); worth it to put into your boots.

They really couldn't give me an answer for the 1.5 mile run times for the 3 PT streams other than 'max effort'.

Best way to prepare for the bleep test is practising it, Fartlek training & Anaerobic training.

Lots of press-ups and sit-ups. Women will have to do full press-ups at some point so get practising (it'll be kinder on your knees too). I asked if it's worth being able to do chin-ups and they said yes - but basically try and really build your upper body strength.

There will be swimming so it's worth making sure you can do the basic strokes fairly competently (mainly so that you don't drown).

I hope some of this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Rugby in the RAF is played to a high standard both League and Union.

I play for the RAF Vets (Vultures-old gits) and have played for the RAF. To equate it to civilian rugby it is probably National one level.

I have played all over the world with the RAF on some wonderful tours and for those Rugby league boys out there, they are probably touring Moscow next year!

Station rugby is a bit hit and miss depending on which station you are at but whilst on IOT you will have the opportunity to play or possibly represent the service if required.

Ladies rugby is picking up with a growing squad and will prove to be a good side in a couple of seasons.

The RAF under 21's are the current defending inter service champions with a game against the Navy at RAF Halton this weekend.

see www.rafru.com for more details.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest (as it maybe only me that didn't know) on the OASC fitness test your hands have to be shoulder width apart on the press ups, not out by your elbows. I practiced press ups the normal (i suppose easier way) and was somewhat shocked to find out I'd been doing them wrong. If you already know this then I apologise for saying things you already know.

ReputationRep:
    I was told, prior to OASC that the press-ups had to be performed with the hands at shoulder-width and the elbows tucked in, which as you say, is a lot tougher.

However, i got to perform them with my arms spread wider i.e. nothing like the stated fashion.

The PTI's blatantly saw me doing this as i had to do mine on my own as we had an odd number and i didn't have a partner to count and place a fist down for me - so the whole board saw me do it ! There were no complaints and everyone did the same.

I even had one of the board officers - a Sqn. Ldr - counting my sit-ups and he was more than happy to count a couple of the one's i failed to perform properly, i.e where the elbows failed to meet the knees correctly.

I suppose the moral of the story is, depending on which staff you get, don't worry too much about the specific details of any exercise - just concentrate on performing as many as you can and getting good scores.

At the end of the day, one of your fellow 'boardees' will be doing the counting for you and whilst I don't expect anyone to cheat, i'm sure that whoever does it for you will be human.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I found this. The wider the spread of the hands, the more it works your chest muscles. The press-ups at the RAF are (I think) are tricep press ups. When I was there, they were quite strict about the technique employed, so I wouldn't go there thinking they may let you off with a few dodgy ones. If they do though, all the better!

ReputationRep:
    All I can remember is that once you started, you weren't allowed to reposition your hands.

ReputationRep:
    The hands cannot leave the mat or be re-positioned. Similarly, you are allowed to rest on your knees but this must be done from the up (arms fully extended) position, otherwise your test stops there.

ReputationRep:
    This may sound stupid but I do press ups with clenched fists (due to an old rugby injury) it seems to make it easier, try it, just a little bit of a different technique can make a big difference. I have never had any problems with the PTI's using this technique, as it is percieved to be harder.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 11, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.