Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hence why I'm also doing strength training with the cardiovascular stuff and have plans to get walking up hills with a nice heavy backpack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Stop concentrating on running fitness!!!

A decent degree of "running fitness" is worthwhile at IOT, but it's not the be-all and end-all. Success at IOT does not mean getting the PTIs to worship you!
    I agree Wzz - genuinely! If you re-read my posts you'll see I was recommending getting up to about 10K standard, not marathon. I believe anyone who starts IOT, who knows they can comfortably finish a 10K run will start with a bit of confidence in their own abilities. I can't imagine the PTIs run anyone further than 10K during their time on IOT, so it would seem a sensible distance to aim for.

Having said that, I also recognise that the first week in January is typically a time when people hit the gym/roads with renewed vigour - I didn't want to see anyone prepping for a Feb/May IOT going out there and injuring themselves!

Your comments are, of course, quite correct. The PTIs don't want to see anyone injured either - hence all the pool beastings

ReputationRep:
    The longest 'run' (in pt kit and trainiers) on IOT is about 6.5 to 7 miles.

I'm going to find the person who invented new years resolutions, strap them to the back of an acme rocket and blast them to the moon! My gym is packed :mad: Anyone else having this problem?

ReputationRep:
    My Gym is terrible its actually a fitness suite for fat ppl wanting to get fit
    Nothing I really want so I concentrate on non-gym exercise. It's all good, unfortunately I go running at night and often in pitch black (I wish the countryside had more lights). Scary stuff, I might break my ankle. HAHa. But seriously it's more enjoyable jogging when you casn see

--------------

Can anyone tell me what an X-trainer is?

--------------

Also (I'll attach this to my post), is thye pre-rcb done at westbury also or can you do it elsewhere (ie in Scotland Wales or Ireland)?

ReputationRep:
    Gyms are always awful in January.

They need to invent beginners gyms and seasoned gym goers gyms. It really irritates me when I go and can't get on a treadmill because there are 6 people taking up 6 treadmills walking on them because they are too unfit/large to run. Or people who don't understand the sharing system on weights who sit there inbetween sets or who just clog up the weights area in general. It wrecks my workout when I go to the gym and can't use it freely! I try and go when it's quiet but in Jan...it's always busy!

Beginners...get some fitness up! Walk outside it's far better for you!
    Seriously though, they do need a gym geared towards beginners - simple treadmills, saving all the gucci programmable ones for the experts

Elliptical Cross Trainers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daibhidh)
    Can anyone tell me what an X-trainer is?
    http://www.jnj.com/images/content/co...mplant_one.jpg

--------------

Ah, sorry InaSpin, didn't see you'd explained already.

ReputationRep:
    That's a cross trainer! So they are better than treadmills then? I never saw them as being that useful. That's cool, they have them in the fitness suite

ReputationRep:
    yeah, they can be good (not necessarily better than a treadmill mind) if you work very hard on them. Intervals using the hill settings or something similar - maybe level 10, 75 cycles per minute on the hills and 65 on the flats. Just a suggestion

ReputationRep:
    yes sure. Anything to imrpove that VO2 max

ReputationRep:
    I use a cross trainer most of time (in my room!) - just exercise in accordance with your max heart rate. Mine's 200 bpm, so I do 'hill' cycles that vary from 140 bpm (70%) to 190 bpm (95%). I can assure you that it works you equally as hard a 'running' on a treadmill !(which is actually about 15% easier than real running)

ReputationRep:
    Yep you do have to work hard on them; as it can be easy to slack!! (Although also at the same time you can think you are working hard when really you aren't!) The interval programs as mentioned by Gem are very good. They work well combined with a HR chest strap so you can read your heart rate accurately on screen (The grippy heart rate monitors on the machines are pants) and measure accurately whether you are pushing yourself. They are good if you have knee issues when running or shin splints type thing. You can work different muscles groups through forwards or backwards peddling. I enjoy them and find they work well.

ReputationRep:
    I see about getting a heartrate monitor then. meanwhile I'll just enjoy the x-trainer and see what i can do without one

ReputationRep:
    When im doing CV, i like to do a session on the treadmill for for 20-30 mins, then do Xtrainer for 15-20 mins. the running gets ur heart rate up, and the xtrainer keeps it up. This is because ive noticed that its hard to get your heart rate up on the Xtrainer! just something i do.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. I hear the bleep test is all you have to do at the briefing so I will concentrate on it with this X-trainer

thanks
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by GemmaLS)
    Hence why I'm also doing strength training with the cardiovascular stuff and have plans to get walking up hills with a nice heavy backpack.
    Good to hear! Unfortunately, the MSFT and streaming runs are thrown in people's faces and they think that's it. They don't give a minute's thought to the strains involved with something like FLC, or the different strains involves in an exercise like PEACEKEEPER.

General fitness is important. Being able to run is 30% of it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Huxley)
    I agree Wzz - genuinely! If you re-read my posts you'll see I was recommending getting up to about 10K standard, not marathon. I believe anyone who starts IOT, who knows they can comfortably finish a 10K run will start with a bit of confidence in their own abilities.
    You're half right. So many people will label 10k as a decent level to pass; so if they can run 10k, they're "alright." They won't realise that walking 4x the distance over a day carrying 25kgs plus a rifle is harder; and they'll become yet another person who managed to sneak into A stream fitness then wound up on Holding Flight with leg injuries as soon as they got towards the FLC stage.

People here are often obsessed with numbers; a lot of people think that a certain time for the mile and a half, or a certain bleep test level, are all that matters. It's not like that!

Get as fit as you can with a sensible split between CV and resistance training. I'm not a personal trainer, so I won't try to give you ideas; but I will discourage you from all doing the typical pre-IOT thing of ***tloads of CV work and no effort on weights.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by GemmaLS)
    The longest 'run' (in pt kit and trainiers) on IOT is about 6.5 to 7 miles.
    7 miles, and if they haven't changed it, it's a "greens run." So it's done in a PT shirt, CS95 trousers and trainers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    <snip>

Get as fit as you can with a sensible split between CV and resistance training. I'm not a personal trainer, so I won't try to give you ideas; but I will discourage you from all doing the typical pre-IOT thing of ***tloads of CV work and no effort on weights.
    Good points Wzz - thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but the thing is that is ALL you need for the pre, one bleep test to a high level, pressups, situps, strength and general fitness are for the main board. I see yuor point and agree so much but it is still a game of numbers at the selection stage.

ReputationRep:
    im from fife aswell.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.