Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    has any one done an electronic markbook in excel for their project?? if so wat did u include? im really stuck. also how do the if functions and vlookup work? how can they be integrated inthe system?

ps.i did try posting on the homework page. but too few of us view it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleone)
    has any one done an electronic markbook in excel for their project?? if so wat did u include? im really stuck. also how do the if functions and vlookup work? how can they be integrated inthe system?

ps.i did try posting on the homework page. but too few of us view it
    We did this in year 9.

=IF(condition, value if true, value if false)

condition needs to be something like "A3=9" which will return a true/false value

if that turns out to be true then "value if true" is displayed, other "value if false"

I haven't used vlookup in ages, it's in the help system, it's not something you tend to use much you certainly don't need it for GCSE coursework

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    ..you certainly don't need it for GCSE coursework
    i know i used it. i suppose it depends on how far you take it, and how you do things.

and how good at IT you are

ReputationRep:
    its for an a/s project. ive set up variuos macros but just dont no how to have grades put in automatically or set up report sheets,where each students achievements can be printed for a grade sheet.

ReputationRep:
    its for an a/s project. ive set up variuos macros but just dont no how to have grades put in automatically or set up report sheets,where each students achievements can be printed for a grade sheet.
    you *shouldnt* need macros for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    i know i used it. i suppose it depends on how far you take it, and how you do things.

and how good at IT you are
    I know what yours was like... What mark did you get for coursework in the end?

And no need for the *shouldn't*, you can use proper formatting here at least if you have "Enhanced mode" checked above

ReputationRep:
    For my AVCE I had to produce a spreadsheet that calculated:

1) The amount of drivers needed
    2) The amount of coaches needed
    3) Total fuel cost
    4) Total maintenance cost
    5) Amount of stop offs
    etc etc

for a coach company. It was quite a hard assignment as it was very time consuming. I mainly used IF statements and macros. I also had to a spreadsheet that worked out the standard deviation for some statisitcs we collected then displayed it on a graph.

ReputationRep:
    you *shouldnt* need macros for that
    the aqa spec ses u do. ive got sum to switch between pages, print, an autorun one that does various things wen u open the system. any ideas on how i do the rest of it?

ReputationRep:
    you could do it the way fish said, with an IF formula for the grade, but then you would have to change every cell with that formula if the boundaries change. so, the best way is a vlookup.

i cant remember of the top of my head how they work, but look in excel help for VLOOKUP, and the article you want is VLOOKUP_worksheet_function, or something like it.

for it to work, you will need a little table to one side, with grades and the boundaries, eg:
    grade | boundary
    a | 99%
    b | 80%
    c | 65% etc.

hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    the aqa spec ses u do. ive got sum to switch between pages, print, an autorun one that does various things wen u open the system. any ideas on how i do the rest of it?
    oh right then. i thought you meant you'd used a macro for the grades

ReputationRep:
    umm Dickie,

She wanted a general explanation of the if function.

Also notice that guy is doing AS level ICT so the specification probably requires him to find a suitable place to use macros.

ReputationRep:
    umm Dickie,

She wanted a general explanation of the if function.

Also notice that guy is doing AS level ICT so the specification probably requires him to find a suitable place to use macros.
    she wanted, but the spec requires him to?

wow

ReputationRep:
    hope this helps!
    thanx i will try to put that in. also (gosh ur gonna think im a pain in the rear), how do u add students that are automatically done in alphabetical order

ReputationRep:
    she wanted, but the spec requires him to?

wow

she............i think.......

ReputationRep:
    thanx i will try to put that in. also (gosh ur gonna think im a pain in the rear), how do u add students that are automatically done in alphabetical order
    theres sort, but to so that you have to do it manually.
    I think you'll need another macro

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about automatically in alphabetical order. Surely a database would be better for that. Or you could make a macro that selects all the people and sorts (just record one to do it!) but you'd need something to trigger it.

ReputationRep:
    she............i think.......
    Yes she, sorry, I thought the person with the problem (you) and the person talking about their AS level IT were different, sorry!

And Dickie, please stop being so pedantic, that's spamming and we all hate that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes she, sorry, I thought the person with the problem (you) and the person talking about their AS level IT were different, sorry!

And Dickie, please stop being so pedantic, that's spamming and we all hate that.
    im really bored...no1 good is on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    im really bored...no1 good is on!
    Ah well. Why don't you start a controversial discussion on something you feel strongly about? Have you added your details to the official Who Are You Thread? It's a good idea and should be stickied I think.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about automatically in alphabetical order. Surely a database would be better for that. Or you could make a macro that selects all the people and sorts (just record one to do it!) but you'd need something to trigger it.
    i no!stupid skool rules n all that...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.