Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are your favourite bands? are why?

ReputationRep:
    Death Cab For Cutie - musically; brilliant, and lyrically; genius.

Modest Mouse - amazing sound. Clever lyrics, but they have a really unique, boppy sound!

Turin Brakes - I like the older stuff. A little depressing, moodier. :p:

My favourite three. Many more, but I don't want to list 'em all!

Oh, and Coldplay (goes without saying!).

ReputationRep:
    Oasis - were at their peak when I was growing up, the first proper music I liked, the music being genius and the attitude is amazing.

Muse - 'intelligent' music, Matt Bellamy is a King, put on one of the best live shows i've seen...

Blink 182 - Just the ultimate 'Pop Punk' band, they are funny blokes and are a million miles ahead of other bands in that genre, the early stuff is catchy and fun, the new stuff is genius. Even though my music taste has moved on a little bit from the Poppy Stuff i'd still call Blink one of my favourite bands.

Sum 41 - They change their style with every album, each album has been progressivley better than the rest and they are so talented at their instruments. Most People wont realise it but they are bloody good.

I'll give mentions for Dasboard Confessional and Straylight Run as well cos i'm listening to them non stop at the minute:cool:

ReputationRep:
    favourite bands at the moment:

The Arctic Monkeys - goes without saying for me at the moment really...
    Bright Eyes - Still listening to 'Digital Ash...' loads, still one of my favourite albums of the year...
    The Arcade Fire - same as Bright Eyes
    Death Cab For Cutie - Plans...'nuff said.

ReputationRep:
    Coldplay, Travis, Hard-fi, Kaiser Chiefs, The Killers, Oasis, . Why? Cos they're awesomeness.

ReputationRep:
    the kinks, blur. they made awesome music and didnt seem to take themselves too seriously

ReputationRep:
    Favorite bands

NIN and Tool - Somewhat moody and depressing, but good! :rolleyes:

Muse - someone summed it up nicely earlier!

QOTSA - Fantastic live!

Oasis - first album i brought

Also Nirvana, Led Zep, Incubus, Audioslave, Greenday, The Clash, A Perfect Circle, The Bluetones - to name but a few!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.last.fm/user/timeforheros/

belle and sebastian, arctic monkeys, milburn, athlete death cab for cutie, oasis, british sea power hope of the states

i could go on like that for hours.

ReputationRep:
    Since I could potentially go on forever, i'll limit myself to 4 that I haven't seen mentioned earlier on here:

Alkaline Trio - Cynical and dark humor to their lyrics, very appealing to me, because I'm evidently a twisted and horrible person

Interpol - Um, how about because they're absolutely amazing?

Ambulance LTD - I think there is something very subtle in their sound that is reminiscent of 1950s-1960s rock music (Best example = "Stay Where You Are") that I just adore.

Spoon - Impossible to get sick of their sound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grave_dreams)
    In Flames - 1. Swedish 2. Melodic 3. Death Metal... anything else?
    Apulanta - the whole band is crazy. excellent songwriting skills and play songs of all (most) genres. oh, and they're scandinavian so nobody else understands them
    HIM - songs of doom with great (sometimes cheesy) lyrics...
    Anthrax - EVERY album is almost perfect. they're also the best ever live band...
    System Of A Down - like nobody else...
    Rob/White Zombie - you can never have enough zombies...

i could go on...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Hehe that's what I should be posting, not you!

ReputationRep:
    The Replacements - Broke up in 1990 amidst alcoholism, divorce and ego. Ripped off by plenty of people since. If you want to know where Ryan Adams gets his hairstyle, mannerisms and attitude Google, Paul Westerberg. You'll thank me later.

50 Foot Wave - Kristin Hersh's new outfit. Very loud and very good.

American Music Club - I'll keep typing it until someone listens to 'em. Sheer genius.

ReputationRep:
    The Ataris - quite possibly the best pop punk you'll ever find, yeah, their new stuff is not pop punky but their older work is pure genius - Kris Roe managed to write intelligent smart and deep pop punk tunes, and we also have old skool pop punk fun like Teenage Riot. Anyway, IMO one of the greatest bands ever, every album they have released is different musically, but they all sound great!

Jimmy Eat World - Another band that can put a lot of emotion and thought into their music, they have some awesome slow paced tracks, but can also rock with stuff such as Sweetness, Blister and Crush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Hehe that's what I should be posting, not you!
    :hmmmm2:
    me no get that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tidasquall)
    The Ataris - quite possibly the best pop punk you'll ever find, yeah, their new stuff is not pop punky but their older work is pure genius - Kris Roe managed to write intelligent smart and deep pop punk tunes, and we also have old skool pop punk fun like Teenage Riot. Anyway, IMO one of the greatest bands ever, every album they have released is different musically, but they all sound great!

Jimmy Eat World - Another band that can put a lot of emotion and thought into their music, they have some awesome slow paced tracks, but can also rock with stuff such as Sweetness, Blister and Crush.
    what do you make of them getting rid of Chris and Mike, it's basically kris left from the original bunch isn't it. Sorry state of affairs........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious narb)
    what do you make of them getting rid of Chris and Mike, it's basically kris left from the original bunch isn't it. Sorry state of affairs........
    Yeah, I have to say I loved the original Ataris line up, theyre like a 7 piece band now for the new album (Welcome the night) and whilst Kris Roe is an excellent song writer, I think the ataris are heading in the wrong direction for the new music- Chris and Mike were essential to the ataris IMO, my favourite album would have to be Blue Skies..., its genius! Even if the new stuff is good, I will always prefer their older music, I know Kris wants to move away from pop punk, but being a huge fan of theirs, I just naturally love their old music as well as the So Long Astoria stuff...

nirvana - evidently i'm at the age...:rolleyes:
    blink182 - they're the greatest punk pop rockers atm for meh
    jimmy eat world - their music and lyrics(particularly) are heavenly
    Guns N' Roses - Slash's guitar work...:love:
    Everclear - whiny melodies and feel good tunes.shallow yet enjoyable:o:
    The Killers and Oasis - cos i love their songs

ReputationRep:
    Switchfoot
    Hanson
    The Beatles
    The Vines
    The White Stripes
    Rooney
    The Clash
    James Taylor
    The Goo Goo Dolls
    Sum 41
    Fuel
    Jonny Was
    Blondie
    Michelle Branch
    Saves the Day
    Everclear
    Wallace
    The Kinks
    Millencolin
    The DropKick Murphys

ReputationRep:
    Fair few-

Led Zepellin - To be expected, lots of energy, lots of variety, countless tracks I'm absolutely obsessed with
    Pink Floyd - Interesting tacking the changes through their career, lovely guitar sound, emotional, and one of my favourite tracks ever for being spooned (Marooned)
    Thunder - Put on a fantastic live show, not musically or lyrically stunning but great fun
    Levellers - Another awesome live act who got me in to a lot of alternative political ideas
    Kings of Convenience - Soundtrack to so many events of my life, beautiful music
    Clutch - Keeping me amused and having incredibly catchy riffs
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Music that accompanied some of the most emotional times of my life, the whole of Californication and Under the Bridge.
    Quireboys - Music to drink to with friends
    Royksopp - I didn't stop listening to Melody AM for weeks after buying it, atmospheric and absorbing
    Iron Maiden - Starting off my interest in guitar and still pouring energy in to their shows
    Faithless - Great blend of dance and chillout and another awesome live act
    Deep Purple - Lovely dirty organ sound and Steve Morse

And, while not strictly "bands",
    Leftfield - For providing the soundtracks to some more of my best experiences and creating Melt and Afro-Left.
    Infected Mushroom - For turning me in to a psytrance nut and keeping me dancing through so many nights

Oh, I suppose Matchbox 20 too for getting me through my troubled teen years

I must've missed so many here. No matter.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.