The Student Room Group

Residence Eligibility

Please Please can someone help me.. sudden dilemma.

Okay so it says that I must have lived in the UK 3 years before I start the course. Im not sure how this is going to effect me.

I was born and have lived in the uk all my life aside from this.

I have already completed the first 2 years of the course and in my third year I took a trip to the states in November, ended up getting married and not returning til the June, anyhow, while I was back in the UK my marriage couldnt survive the distance and so we ended up separating.

Anyway, I am now trying to get sorted again so Im applying to finish my final year when I read this part of the elibility. I was out of the country for a total of 6/7 months, does this mean I have to wait 3 years before I can get funding, and which part of my funding does it effect? Fee payments or loans?

Sorry Im in such a panic. I dont know what Im gonna do if I can get funding.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Residency criteria affects everything (loans and fees-they're worked out on the same rules).

However if going to the states was essentially an extended holiday, then it shouldn't affect it; it also shouldn't have an affect if it was because of a temporary work contract (as temporary absences, particularly for work, are ignored). If there were other reasons it might be more complicated but if it wasn't for a great length of time (and especially if it was intended to only be temporary) you probably won't have any problem.

The rules are not you have to have lived in the UK (or EU/EEA or Switzerland too actually) but must be 'ordinarily resident' there which kind of has different connotations. It is why people are fine going on long trips (like a gap year) without it having an effect because even though during that time you might be physically out of the country, you're still 'ordinarily resident' in the UK; you can also be ordinarily resident in two countries in some cases (for example, people can spend half the year in one country and half a year in another and be considered equally 'ordinarily resident' in both).

However, clearly it depends on your original purpose for going to the States and the links you maintained in the UK (for example, did you keep a flat or move all your stuff into a mate's/friends/parents house or upsticks with everything?) might also be a factor.

You might find it helpful to look round the UKCISA website; they have lots of info about the rules, particularly what counts as ordinarily resident and temporary absences, and they also have an advice line (at the bottom of the page): http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_sheets/tuition_fees_ewni.php

Latest

Trending

Trending