Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    AEAs, or advanced extension awards, are supposed to replace the old special paper. However, not that many people take them, and not that many people know about them. I had to tell my teacher about them, rather than her recommending it to me.

Still, I took it and got a distinction. When I went for interview at Oxford, the tutors seemed fairly impressed.

However, I don't know many other people who have taken them.

Do you think its worth taking another 3 hour exam, especially if someone is doing a lot of subjects?

Do you think that the concept of the AEA is any good in general?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good idea, especially for people who normally wouldn't be challenged as much in their A-Levels. I took STEP I last year (in preference of the AEA) in maths and got 2, and whilst it's not the greatest grade, I thouhgt it was really worthwhile and beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayzd)
    AEAs, or advanced extension awards, are supposed to replace the old special paper. However, not that many people take them, and not that many people know about them. I had to tell my teacher about them, rather than her recommending it to me.

Still, I took it and got a distinction. When I went for interview at Oxford, the tutors seemed fairly impressed.

Do you think its worth taking another 3 hour exam, especially if someone is doing a lot of subjects?

Can you explain what they are / point me to a link with info please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayzd)

What type of questions are on it?

ReputationRep:
    Incidentally, did you get into Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    I will be taking AEA Latin, although I don't know much about it. Apparently there isn't any extra work directly for it, and having a merit or distinction in AEA certainly can't do any harm on CVs/application forms!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I will be taking AEA Latin, although I don't know much about it. Apparently there isn't any extra work directly for it, and having a merit or distinction in AEA certainly can't do any harm on CVs/application forms!
    I might do AEA latin as well, just for the challenge

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why AEA'S are useful because you take them after you get offers from Universities and offers are based on Alevel results.

ReputationRep:
    AEAs are intrinsically worthwhile because they challenge able students beyond their A-Levels and encourage them to become better. They also help bridge the gap between A-Levels and University in the more 'sciencey' subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering taking AEA English but to be honest it doesn't really seem worth it. No teacher has suggested it and I don't think anyone from my school has ever entered for it. Also, none of the unis I've applied to for English Lit. seem interested in whether you have AEA or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    Incidentally, did you get into Oxford?

Yep, i did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayzd)
    Yep, i did!
    Congrats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    I don't see why AEA'S are useful because you take them after you get offers from Universities and offers are based on Alevel results.
    but if you fail to meet a required offer grade, you can use the AEA as a backup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acid_Rain)
    I'm considering taking AEA English but to be honest it doesn't really seem worth it. No teacher has suggested it and I don't think anyone from my school has ever entered for it. Also, none of the unis I've applied to for English Lit. seem interested in whether you have AEA or not.

I took it in english. I actually really enjoyed the paper, its not really any extra work before hand, it just challenges you at the time.

None of my unis seemed interested in their literature.

Although cambridge said somewhere that a B at A level plua an AEA at merit/distinction is equal to an A. or something!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    I think it's a good idea, especially for people who normally wouldn't be challenged as much in their A-Levels. I took STEP I last year (in preference of the AEA) in maths and got 2, and whilst it's not the greatest grade, I thouhgt it was really worthwhile and beneficial.
    I took it too. i really liked the questons, and im amazed i did so well, because i had thought i had done badly. for one of the questions i just wrote out about 3 pages of weird combinations and somehow managed to get the answer they wanted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    but if you fail to meet a required offer grade, you can use the AEA as a backup

Good point. Are offers ever made on AEAs do you know, e.g. AAB and such and such in an AEA for the subject you wish to study if you are a bordeline candidate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I took it too. i really liked the questons, and im amazed i did so well, because i had thought i had done badly. for one of the questions i just wrote out about 3 pages of weird combinations and somehow managed to get the answer they wanted
    so what questions do they ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Good point. Are offers ever made on AEAs do you know, e.g. AAB and such and such in an AEA for the subject you wish to study if you are a bordeline candidate?
    i have know people to get offers like "AAA including maths or AAB and AEA merit maths"

ReputationRep:
    i might do AEA geog for the fun of it -looked at sample papers on the internet and they seem quite easy. don't know if i'll bother tho as it is on the final day of my exams in the afternoon after chem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    i have know people to get offers like "AAA including maths or AAB and AEA merit maths"

But I would imagine it is quite rare.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.