The Student Room Group

any ideas?

hey, this is a question for the girls. sorry about this and i know i should have got this sorted out a while ago but...the thing is i havent had a period in a couple of months, i know i'm definately not pregnant and i took a test to make sure. The week before it starts i usually get really moody and upset, feel generally grumpy as well as putting on weight and feeling bloated, but i've had none of this showing there are little signs of any change :confused:

also i've lost a little bit of weight and feel thinner...and i'm sure my boobs have got smaller?!?! any help would be appreciated...xx
Uhh how old are you and for how long before this were you having normal, regular periods??

Might help people understand your situation better and make it more likely they can help :smile:
Reply 2
Are you underweight? Are your periods normally irregular?
Reply 3
Have you had any pain around the area of your ovaries? Are you on any contraceptive?
Reply 4
*Jess*
hey, this is a question for the girls. sorry about this and i know i should have got this sorted out a while ago but...the thing is i havent had a period in a couple of months, i know i'm definately not pregnant and i took a test to make sure. The week before it starts i usually get really moody and upset, feel generally grumpy as well as putting on weight and feeling bloated, but i've had none of this showing there are little signs of any change :confused:

also i've lost a little bit of weight and feel thinner...and i'm sure my boobs have got smaller?!?! any help would be appreciated...xx

yes this is called amenorrhoea

It's not normal for women to have no periods, and there will be something at the root of the problem. I have come across many women whose periods have inexplicably stopped. When they visited their doctors, they were told that it was 'more convenient' to go without periods, and that there was no reason to look into it unless they wanted to conceive. Drugs could be then be offered at that time to stimulate ovulation.

There is no doubt that periods can be inconvenient, but the plain truth is that it is unnatural not to have them. Your body is designed to have menstrual cycles when you are not pregnant, and if you are not having periods there is something out of balance or unnatural happening in your body. This needs to be investigated and treated. For one thing, if you are not having periods, your risk of osteoporosis is greatly increased.

If your periods stop for no apparent reason or you have come off the pill and your periods have not come back then you should ask to be referred to a gynaecologist.

Its important you get this checked.
Reply 5
thanks, i'm 18, they are usually really regular and have been for...since i can remember. I'm not underweight no, though i've always been quite thin. I was about 9.2 stone and now i'm 8.10 ish...
I'm not on any contraception and haven't had any pain. ah, i had the morning after pill a few months ago but had a period after that, i know it can mess them up but i thought it'd be sorted by now :frown:

ah okays...i'll go to the doctors after results day, thanks
Reply 6
It may be due to vitamin definiecies, get some multi-vitamin tablets and try out agnus castus, the herb which will encourage periods.
Reply 7
Have you started doing lots of exercise out of the blue or anything? My friend did that (she went a bit extreme going to the gym for hours a day) and her periods stopped.
Reply 8
I was thinking it could be PCO but thats pretty unlikely I'd think? I'm not a medic at all, just a person who's interested in health.

Magomaz makes a good point, a change in exercise habits or sleeping/eating patterns might cause your periods to stop. Are you going through a period of extreme stress or change in your life at the moment?
Reply 9
hmm i havent changed the amount of excercise i do....i am a bit stressed about exam results but it's been a long time for that to affect it i'd have thought....deary me, i'm sure some people would think i was mad to be annoyed at not having them but tis worrying. thanks for all your ideas though
How tall are you? And how quickly did you lose that half stone? x x x
Reply 11
i thought pco too....but if you've had a dramatic change in sleep/eating even increased stress...it could all lead to it.
Reply 12
I think a visit to the doctors is a good idea, you can always ask for a female doctor if you wouldn't like a male one. Take the date of when your last period was with you and try and think of any changes that have happened to you physically or emotionally since then :smile:
Reply 13
Sophdoph
I think a visit to the doctors is a good idea, you can always ask for a female doctor if you wouldn't like a male one. Take the date of when your last period was with you and try and think of any changes that have happened to you physically or emotionally since then :smile:

thanks i will do :smile:
Reply 14
*Jess*
hmm i havent changed the amount of excercise i do....i am a bit stressed about exam results but it's been a long time for that to affect it i'd have thought....deary me, i'm sure some people would think i was mad to be annoyed at not having them but tis worrying. thanks for all your ideas though

Last year, my friend was stressed out and her periods went completely out of sync.
i havt had a period for three months now. Defo not preganant, last about a stone in weight. went to doctors and he said the pill i'm on has stopped me ovulating and evething is fine!

Latest

Trending

Trending