The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1
Hi

Although I don't go there (will do in Sept) I think it is actually minimal - below 10% at least. If there are people from private schol there aren't any rah-ry cliques. In fact it is quite a northern university in my opinion, I'm form berkshire so love the mixture of accents - my friends at exeter and bristol don't have anywhere near as much diversity.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Do you know, I was there for three years and I have no idea where people went to school. It really doesn't matter at Lancaster, no-one cares where you come from or what your background is. I did find out over time that a lot of my friends were privately educated, that may be down to the circles I moved in and the societies I joined. But it did not matter in the least. Certainly I never met any Rah's, and no-one ever looked down on me because I came from a very down-market state comprehensive.
I've met quite a lot of people who are private school education alongside many who are not. No one really minds what school you went to and the only "rah" type people I know [all 3 of them lol] actually went to state schools.

I think the newspaper 'reviews' of the university tend to stress that they reach their state school intake targets but not so much the 'class' based targets, with the working classes being slightly under represented. [Of course, class is a very difficult thing to define etc etc.]

In other words, don't worry about it. :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks guys, I come from private school and people can be fairly judgemental about it, so would be slightly concerned going somewhere where I was totally outnumbered and people had the stereotypical veiw of private school students.
I'm privately (boarding) educated... no one cares. There aren't enougb of us here for people to have negative views of us for longer than about 30 seconds.
Reply 6
I went to a private boarding school but im no rah rah type lol I grew up on a tough council estate in London. 2bh everyone at Lancaster is pretty friendly and will accept you for who you are so no need to worry.
Reply 7
xxHarrietxx24
Thanks guys, I come from private school and people can be fairly judgemental about it, so would be slightly concerned going somewhere where I was totally outnumbered and people had the stereotypical veiw of private school students.

Then don't tell anyone? It's not an issue unless you make it one.

Most of us 'sane' people don't differentiate or care of this trivial attribute, and I'm sure most of the students at Lancaster are the same.
Reply 8
Got a lot of mates who were educated in private schools but only found out by coincidence. Definitely no upperclass snobbery in lancs!!

Latest

Trending

Trending