lower predicted grades? Watch

This discussion is closed.
rt6
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Quick question; If your predicted grades do not match the required grades of a course and uni's still give you their standard offer, does that mean they expect you to actually achieve that offer, or would they be slightly more lenient if you don't?
Thanks
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If they give you an offer, they expect you to satisfy that offer. In some cases, people who missed the offer by a grade still got the place.
MC
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You have to meet the course requirements, if you don't, and especially for the more popular and competitive courses, you may lose your place.
rt6
Rep:
?
Oh well, fingers cross things go to plan . I was just hoping that since the predicted grades mightve been considerably lower than the actual offer grades, the university might be a bit more lenient.
lorrybeep
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
woo...whoever gave you a lower prediction than the actual requirement is just mean..
rt6
Rep:
?
(Original post by graduate_kc)
woo...whoever gave you a lower prediction than the actual requirement is just mean..
Tell me about it. I tried to ask them for a higher one but they just refused
lorrybeep
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rt6)
Tell me about it. I tried to ask them for a higher one but they just refused
ouch.....thats even meanerrrrrrrrr...
did you burn down their house or wha......
terrible :eek:
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
my predicted grades were above both bristol's and aston's typical offers. However, the stupid admissions gave me a higher offer despite me taking a levels all in 1 year.

They do it so you get a grade below it and if they don't have enough people on the course they can select you. If they have too many, they can reject you. They are kinda playing with you to an extent.
rt6
Rep:
?
(Original post by graduate_kc)
ouch.....thats even meanerrrrrrrrr...
did you burn down their house or wha......
terrible :eek:
I kinda burnt it down BEFORE the actual predicted grades.....whoops

They do it so you get a grade below it and if they don't have enough people on the course they can select you. If they have too many, they can reject you. They are kinda playing with you to an extent.
:mad:

Hopefully I do get the grades though
lorrybeep
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by nas7232)
my predicted grades were above both bristol's and aston's typical offers. However, the stupid admissions gave me a higher offer despite me taking a levels all in 1 year.

::sigh:: bunch of gamers..
its all about strategic planning
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah that's the best way, that'll teach them if they over subscribe :cool: . If you are applying for a moderate competitive course it'll be good to be predicted somwhere near the actual typical offer than AAA, that way you will get a lower offer. Bit risky though!
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Universities can vary the standard offer set out in their prospectus according to an individual's profile, so if they like you, you may get a lower offer than normal and if they're not sure, you may get a higher one so they can be sure you're capable. Whatever offer they give you, you'll be expected to meet and they don't have to accept you if you miss the grades, but they might anyway if it's not a popular course and you only narrowly miss them. I hate to say this, but if your predicted grades are lower than their standard offer and you miss the grades, they might be less likely to give you a place anyway if others who've missed their grades had higher predicted grades. I'm only speculating though, and if they give you an offer they must think you're capable of meeting it, so you should be fine.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads