malteser12345
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi,

I was curious as to whether self-teaching AS Philosophy is a good idea and if it is too difficult to do? I am also curious as to whether me doing philosophy at AS would help in my application for medicine. Also, is there any difference between Philosophy and Ethics or Philosophy (as a single subject)? Wich one would be better for applying to med? I know that AQA offer philosophy, but OCR seems to offer P&E in their RS course (im not sure though)?

Thanks for your time, it is highly appreciaited.

(btw, i am completely new to philosophy and i have barely any knowledge of the subject)
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm on AQA philosophy and many of our class have practically taught ourselves from the textbook, this seems to work better than listening to our teachers unfortunately.

It is very do-able but you cannot take a romantic approach to the subject. You must simply consume the text book. Extra reading comes into play for getting good grades to a very small extent so try not to wander from the spec.
sophie_snail
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi.

I don't know about AQA philosophy, but OCR's Philosophy & Ethics entails just that; half of the course if Philosophy of religion and half is on ethics. Being under the guise of Religious Studies yes it is very religion based, especially the Philosophy paper.
Look at a specification to see what would be covered, but it's pretty simple.
And yes, if you have the motivation and dedication, then you should be able to teach yourself it fine.

I don't know about it being relevant to medicine but you can write a lot about it in a personal statement, i.e. teaching myself philosophy taught me invaluable skills such as sustaining an argument, determination, perseverance etc.
It all looks good :]

Good luck if you do go ahead with it!

xx
NiallHoran12345
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hey does anyone have the 2015 paper for rs philosophy - on cosmological argument or religious experience? Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (56)
29.02%
No - I have already returned home (24)
12.44%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (44)
22.8%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (18)
9.33%
No - I live at home during term anyway (51)
26.42%

Watched Threads