Is it unfair that St George's Day isn't a public holiday?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
ak56
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I find it incredibly unfair, and almost discriminatory that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland's national days are public holidays, and encouraged by the government to be celebrated, while St. George's Day, the national day of England is almost white washed, not celebrated, not a public holiday, almost as if it's taboo to even mention it.

I fail to see how it's not double standards that it's not a public holiday in England.
Rosie_Rockafella
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What is the public holiday for Northern Ireland? Isn't St Patricks day for all Irish, whether from Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland?
Genocidal
Badges: 19
Report 11 years ago
Because I don't think that many people give a **** about St.Georges day?
ak56
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rosie_Rockafella)
What is the public holiday for Northern Ireland? Isn't St Patricks day for all Irish, whether from Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland?
Yes, but I was just stating Northern Ireland, as the Republic of Ireland is a foreign country.
ak56
Rep:
?
(Original post by Genocidal)
To be honest, I'm not sure if I want it. Left wing, apologist drips like you is why I detest England and its people.
Rosie_Rockafella
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
St George wasn't even English, but anyway I guess it would be nice. A bit of patriotism would do us good.

And making it a national holiday might make it all more....festive.
Genocidal
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ak56)
To be honest, I'm not sure if I want it. Left wing, apologist drips like you is why I destest England and its people.
First of all learn to spell. Second of all that dosen't make me a left winger at all. When was the last time you ever heard public protests because St.George's day isn't widely celebrated in England?
IceDiveFresh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ak56)
To be honest, I'm not sure if I want it. Left wing, apologist drips like you is why I detest England and its people.
Well shut up and stop whining then?
thetroll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
When was the last time you ever heard public protests because St.George's day isn't widely celebrated in England?
Predictably, about a year ago.

http://barthsnotes.wordpress.com/200...ges-day-event/
ak56
Rep:
?
St George wasn't even English
Nor were the patron saints of 90% of countries.
SiaSiaSia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You should really.
Installation
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Frankly, it is unfair. However I think Britain should be proud that it can do away with its own customs in order to "help" others. It's remarkable progressive.
Genocidal
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SiaSiaSia)
You should really.
Why?
Danielle89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
To be honest, no-one really celebrates st andrew's day. We all tend to just celebrate st patrick's day with the irish because they all go out drinking all day and its fun to join in.
Cirsium
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
St George wasn't even English, but anyway I guess it would be nice. A bit of patriotism would do us good.

And making it a national holiday might make it all more....festive.
:dontknow: St. Patrick was English, St. Andrew (being one of the Apostles) was from Galilee like Our Lord... St David was actually Welsh tho :p:

Tbh I agree it's inconsistent, but I don't see why there's a need for yet another bank holiday, especially since it falls so close to Easter.
WelshBluebird
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ak56)
Wales national days are public holidays
Not sure about the other ones, but St Davids day is not a public holiday. So perhaps you'd like to actually get your facts right first.
ak56
Rep:
?
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
Not sure about the other ones, but St Davids day is not a public holiday. So perhaps you'd like to actually get your facts right first.
"Cross party support resulted in the National Assembly voting unanimously to make St. David’s Day a public holiday in 2000"

Prehaps you'd like to get your facts right taffy.
NyLonEd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Even if it was a public holiday I still wouldn't care about this crappy day.

How about Hellen Mirren day? After all she is our un-official Queen
Deadly Lightshade
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's probably a nice idea.

They hung decorations up along the street near my house and couple shops and pubs put England flags up. It'd be good if they made it into a bit of a cultural event (which must, by law, include Morris Dancing), and I'm sure people would turn up.

It doesn't have to be massive posters of Nick Griffin hung up over the Town Hall and games of Repatriate the Immigrant.
RNBen
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not until St. Ahmed Day is too.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (37)
21.89%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (83)
49.11%
I'm unsure (49)
28.99%

Watched Threads