The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Maybe we should celebrate all our immigrants national saints holidays too. The monachs are all German anyway
Renner
Part of the reason we are as developed as we are today is because of the competition between nations, technology always shoots forward in times of war. Your view is a bit short sighted

That's competition is driven by the pursuit of profit, not patriotism. Your view is misinformed.
It would be very good if it was a public holiday, but to put it bluntly I couldn't care less if it was ever made into one or not
ak56
"Cross party support resulted in the National Assembly voting unanimously to make St. David’s Day a public holiday in 2000"

Prehaps you'd like to get your facts right taffy.

It is not a public holiday. Fact. The Assembly voted for plans to make it a public holiday, but as of the moment, it still is not.
So perhaps you'd still like to double check your facts (and check the sources of wikipedia comments).
Reply 44
ChaoticMaster
That's competition is driven by the pursuit of profit, not patriotism. Your view is misinformed.

On an individual level its profit, but in a national level its patriotism. When people invent things to defeat the enemy its not so profit driven, radar for example.
Reply 45
It is very unfair.

I don't even celebrate St Georges day, but do celebrate St Patricks ('cos a lot of my family is irish). But I am English so a public holiday would be nice :smile:
Because there's no tradition of English patriotism. Patriotism is vulgar and a sign of insecurity.
Reply 47
I think we should just make up a new national holiday. Something a bit more relevent to modern society.

How about "religious apathy day"?
Simon Cowell presents "England's got a national holiday factor"?
"St Beckham's day"?

Or maybe not.
Reply 48
One the best traits of the English is that we don't make a big deal of being English, and so the most appropriate way to celebrate this fact is to completely ignore our national day, and celebrate St Patrick's Day far more enthusiastically. Oh the wonderful ironies of this little island.

If we do want an extra bank holiday, it should be togive something we already celebrate official recognition. It would be a million times better if they made the first Monday in November a bank holiday in honour of bonfire night.
Maybe if George was given a more catchy name... :rolleyes:
Reply 50
manic_fuzz
Maybe if George was given a more catchy name... :rolleyes:

Like Jeffrey perhaps.
Howard
Like Jeffrey perhaps.

Oh yes, perhaps so :rolleyes:
St. Jeffrey's Day. Sounds better already :yep:
seems as we celebrate our immigrants st patricks day we should celebrate our other immigrants and ethnic minorities days with as much passion like jamaican,nigerian, pakistani, indian independance days & saint casmir day (the polish patron saint).
Reply 53
UrbanJockey101
seems as we celebrate our immigrants st patricks day we should celebrate our other immigrants and ethnic minorities days with as much passion like jamaican,nigerian, pakistani, indian independance days & saint casmir day (the polish patron saint).

Hell yeah. If each one is a bank holiday, we'll get loads of days off:p:
Renner
On an individual level its profit, but in a national level its patriotism. When people invent things to defeat the enemy its not so profit driven, radar for example.

There is a difference between patriotism and desiring the survival of your culture and freedom. WWII was driven by a desire to maintain our freedom and liberty, not by patriotism.
Howard
Like Jeffrey perhaps.

How about Marmaduke?

Or Ignatius?
Reply 56
Noone cares about it.
I think we should though, everyone become England lovers this St. George's day nowww and have many parades.
Then they might let us have one.
Am not sure who St.George is!!
Genocidal
Because I don't think that many people give a **** about St.Georges day?

i thought this too :moon:
Reply 59
ChaoticMaster
There is a difference between patriotism and desiring the survival of your culture and freedom. WWII was driven by a desire to maintain our freedom and liberty, not by patriotism.

That is patriotism, being proud of ones nation and its cultural achievements and being willing to defend them. Patriotism played a very big part in WW2, look at the propaganda and general public thinking of the time; an awful lot of King, Country and Empire.

Latest

Trending

Trending