Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do oxford and cambridge ever give offers of say 2D's if they really want a candidate like other universities do? im sure ive read somewhere that that can happen. it would be great wouldnt it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah)
    Do oxford and cambridge ever give offers of say 2D's if they really want a candidate like other universities do? im sure ive read somewhere that that can happen. it would be great wouldnt it?
    They used to give EE offers, but I think this was when there was an exam. Not any more I'm afraid!

ReputationRep:
    I like how we have just replied to each others questions what helpful people we are!

ReputationRep:
    I like how we have just replied to each others questions what helpful people we are!
    Lol, I know. I noticed that too. What course did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    my tutor at skools best mate got a EE offer from teddy hall Ox. for physics 5 years ago

ReputationRep:
    They do still do it!! For example, Fitzwilliam college, Cambridge still give out EE offers to strong candidates. One person on this thread got a BBB offer from St. Hughs, Oxford...apparently all History offers there are lower than AAB offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    Lol, I know. I noticed that too. What course did you apply for?
    Experimental psychology at St johns i got an offer of AAA hence my longing for an EE offer. Did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    Experimental psychology at St johns i got an offer of AAA hence my longing for an EE offer. Did you apply?
    Yea, History at Somerville. Hopefully see you there. Somerville and St. Johns are on the same road aren't they?

ReputationRep:
    I think so we'll have to have a drink in the lamb and flag!

ReputationRep:
    I think so we'll have to have a drink in the lamb and flag!
    Lol, hopefully. I still need to get 3As tho, and I really can't be bothered to do much revision in the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, History at Somerville.
    Ah cool Somerville ! Was it your first choice college? I was assigned Somerville for another interview (uniform practice for all medical applicants) - lovely atmosphere, really laid back, the students were all lovely/helpful! Good luck with getting your grades (I have to get 3As too)

ReputationRep:
    yer i have to get AAB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Ah cool Somerville ! Was it your first choice college? I was assigned Somerville for another interview (uniform practice for all medical applicants) - lovely atmosphere, really laid back, the students were all lovely/helpful! Good luck with getting your grades (I have to get 3As too)
    Yea it was. Was it Somerville that gave you your offer? It was really nice wasn't it. Maybe a bit too laid back: they hadn't organised me any interviews when I got there. Good luck to you too with the Grades!

ReputationRep:
    Yea it was. Was it Somerville that gave you your offer? It was really nice wasn't it. Maybe a bit too laid back: they hadn't organised me any interviews when I got there. Good luck to you too with the Grades!
    Nah, it was from my first choice college Worcester I think I would have been happy to go to Somerville though (although it is supposed to be one of the more expensive colleges) just because I really liked the relaxed atmosphere there (don't think I would have appreciated such disorganisation in respect to my interview there though :eek: !)

Ah, january modules coming up... pure hell ! Have a happy new year and good luck with everything

ReputationRep:
    EE is the minimum required to meet Oxford matriculation requirements, and English language and Maths GCSEs at C grade.

Whether they ever offer them is another matter, as a side note my mum got into Wadham in 1974 with a DE. But she had good scottish highers and had tried to do the alevels via correspondence course... and aced the written essays. So maybe they thought there she was good enough anyway *shrug*
    I still think she's stupid though

'Tisn't a good plan to rely on a matric level offer though

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Nah, it was from my first choice college Worcester I think I would have been happy to go to Somerville though (although it is supposed to be one of the more expensive colleges) just because I really liked the relaxed atmosphere there (don't think I would have appreciated such disorganisation in respect to my interview there though :eek: !)

Ah, january modules coming up... pure hell ! Have a happy new year and good luck with everything
    You too. Hope to see you there in October

ReputationRep:
    Christ's college Cambridge is famous for giving a third of its offers as EE or matriculation offers. It's also got a reputation for being a ***** to get into and for having a very pressurised atmsophere, but if you're a genius and want Cambridge, Christ's might be the way to go!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Christ's is the College to go for if you're after an EE offer, although the kind of people who get them are not likely to be the ones who go on holiday for nine months Would you want EEU at A Level spoiling a degree from Cambridge? Or what you want AAA *and* a first from Cantab?

Peterhouse also offers a few EEs, mainly for history (being the best history college there is!).

The concept behind the EE grade is that it is simply the lowest A Level grades one is allowed to attain and still proceed to University.

ReputationRep:
    A girl from my school who left to do maths at oxford got a DD offer i think and she ended getting an EED...but she's a maths genius.

I dont know much on the story but i could find out and post feedback.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.