Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What does this mean to you?

I'll wait for some feedback to the thread before i give my insight.

ReputationRep:
    i think everyone wants to be rich. it's the whole thing about money buying u happiness, which most of the time, is true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

Erm, sorry to be stupid but what exactly do you mean?

I mean, for me it means having a lot of money, but is that what you intended when starting the thread?

I suppose being rich can help in many ways, but it's not the be-all and end all.

ReputationRep:
    Being rich blurs the difference between friends and enemies...

ReputationRep:
    But what exactly does being rich mean to you?

Is it having a car for every single day of the week, a house in every continent and holidays whenever you want or is it something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

Is it having a car for every single day of the week, a house in every continent and holidays whenever you want or is it something else?
    having enough ,money t0 be able to do what you want, when you want to (goes with being an A-list celeb -see post: "do you want to be famous")

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    Erm, sorry to be stupid but what exactly do you mean?

I mean, for me it means having a lot of money, but is that what you intended when starting the thread?

I suppose being rich can help in many ways, but it's not the be-all and end all.
    Just what does the word "rich" mean to you. When someone says "i'm rich" what do you think they mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Being rich blurs the difference between friends and enemies...
    i know what u mean. if i won the lotterly (a large sum) i expect that all the girls i fancyed in high school would SUDDENLY be interested in me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

How about cash, used, in £50 and £20 notes, non sequential. In a bank account under your name to the value of £500 million pounds.

Not to forget the gold ingots of course...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

I think you can use 'rich' in two ways:

1) in financial terms: having more money than most people in your society and having more money than you need

2) in general terms: having everything you need to lead a contemplative lifestyle, be wise and reach something like happiness (money, friends, family, education, cuture, experience)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    i think everyone wants to be rich. it's the whole thing about money buying u happiness, which most of the time, is true.
    Ahh, but money can't buy true happiness.
    My definition of being rich envolves a fufilled life, freinds and family, in other words being truley blessed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)

1) in financial terms: having more money than most people in your society and having more money than you need

2) in general terms: having everything you need to lead a contemplative lifestyle, be wise and reach something like happiness (money, friends, family, education, cuture, experience)
    agrees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Ahh, but money can't buy true happiness.
    My definition of being rich envolves a fufilled life, freinds and family, in other words being truley blessed.
    but you cant deny tha money owuld help you do this...?

ReputationRep:
    Rich, to most people, means having enough money to afford luxuries and more.

Yes, being rich can make you happy but isn't essential to be happy. You can be happy without having large amounts of money.

Money can get you a lot of things, house, car, good clothes etc. Most people's aim in life if to get a good job giving them good money so they can afford these things. But, money isn't the most important thing. You need it to live, of course, but if you have enough to suit your everyday lifestyle then it's sufficient. Money can't buy you real friends, or real love. People may be attracted but it's for the wrong reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Just what does the word "rich" mean to you. When someone says "i'm rich" what do you think they mean?
    if somebody would say that only that i would think of money but you can be rich in other ways as well maybe the person feels fortunate because of his/hers family. my answer would be that it depends on the situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)

Good answer. I was on some religious tour a few summers ago and i was posed this question. To which i replied, cars, money, mansion in UK, switzerland etc.

To which the person quoted something from a jewish book called the Talmud.

"Who is considered rich? One who is happy with what he has."

I'm not trying to preach at all, but who here is really happy with what they have? I think our society always encourages us to want more possessions. I don't find myself feeling complete and having no desire for anything else- i am also a victim.

But it's just something that does make you think. A millionaire in his home with no family may be financially "rich" but is he really rich using the terms of the Talmud. Whereas a man who has a loving family and he does a job he enjoys without getting paid millions a year and is able to put food on his table may consider himself to be "rich".

ReputationRep:
    A teacher once told: 'Money alone won't make you happy. You also have to own it!'.

But seriously, I think that obviously money alone won't make you happy. But, although it's not a sufficient condition for happiness, it is a necessary one. You need money to cover your basic needs. If those needs are not covered, it is nearly impossible to be happy.

Besides, it is certainly easier to be happy, if you can afford to only pursue the really important activities in lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Good answer. I was on some religious tour a few summers ago and i was posed this question. To which i replied, cars, money, mansion in UK, switzerland etc.

I'm not trying to preach at all, but who here is really happy with what they have? I think our society always encourages us to want more possessions. I don't find myself feeling complete and having no desire for anything else- i am also a victim.

But it's just something that does make you think. A millionaire in his home with no family may be financially "rich" but is he really rich using the terms of the Talmud. Whereas a man who has a loving family and he does a job he enjoys without getting paid millions a year and is able to put food on his table may consider himself to be "rich".
    In your case tehn noone is truely rich...people will alyaws want more money, a easier life, a better wife etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

Yes, it's a very good quote. Very true as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

when i have enough money to buy my own island in the carribbean then i will be happy

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.