Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Borish)
    but you cant deny tha money owuld help you do this...?
    You don't need money to be rich in the way I'm referring to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    In your case tehn noone is truely rich...people will alyaws want more money, a easier life, a better wife etc...
    Maybe. But that's society imposing itself on someone's life. Someone who is happy with what they have are rich. I'm sure there are people who are like this.

ReputationRep:
    I would hate to be rich. I am a man of simple pleasures, I don't need a car to make me complete, I need humour, intelligence and education to feed my mind. (education is food).

I would however like to be well off, I would like a nice modern flat with all mod cons, an even better HIFI system, even more music but I don't need to be rich to afford all that.

However it dosn't matter how many things you own if you have no friends or girl/boyfriends then what is the point? How can you truly be happy if you're a loner?

Having money seems to go peoples heads but that does not mean I want to be poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    when i have enough money to buy my own island in the carribbean then i will be happy
    But will you?

After a year, you'd probably have a desire for the bigger island however many hundreds of miles away. A faster helicopter, a better yacht, there will always be something next on the list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Maybe. But that's society imposing itself on someone's life. Someone who is happy with what they have are rich. I'm sure there are people who are like this.
    Then that would mean that person would have to be very stupid or does not know what the power of money can do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    You don't need money to be rich in the way I'm referring to.
    if you can reach a state of happyness without money, i really think thast something that demands huge respect, but in a way, i also think oyu're right, im just avaricoius and shallow *sob*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Good answer. I was on some religious tour a few summers ago and i was posed this question. To which i replied, cars, money, mansion in UK, switzerland etc.

To which the person quoted something from a jewish book called the Talmud.

"Who is considered rich? One who is happy with what he has."

I'm not trying to preach at all, but who here is really happy with what they have? I think our society always encourages us to want more possessions. I don't find myself feeling complete and having no desire for anything else- i am also a victim.

But it's just something that does make you think. A millionaire in his home with no family may be financially "rich" but is he really rich using the terms of the Talmud. Whereas a man who has a loving family and he does a job he enjoys without getting paid millions a year and is able to put food on his table may consider himself to be "rich".
    It's not about getting what you want, but wanting what you have...

I think our society always encourages us to want more possessions.

It's not just 'our society'. It's the human condition on the whole. The human race has only survived, because of its unsatisfyable thirst for a better life. If we were to be happy with what we have and what we are, we would not progress. So, for us as a specie, happiness is deadly and hence impossible.

However, as individuals, we care less about the survival of the race than about happiness. So, the big challenge, is to overcome our 'greedy instincts' and learn to be content with what we are and look for happiness within ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    But will you?

After a year, you'd probably have a desire for the bigger island however many hundreds of miles away. A faster helicopter, a better yacht, there will always be something next on the list.
    the story of mankind, there is always sth better sth to improve or change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Then that would mean that person would have to be very stupid or does not know what the power of money can do...
    Why would they be stupid?

What is the power of money? Sure it can buy you things, but where is the "real" power. It's through personality. People do not gain power through money, i could name someone, but i don't want to change the direction of the thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Borish)
    if you can reach a state of happyness without money, i really think thast something that demands huge respect, but in a way, i also think oyu're right, im just avaricoius and shallow *sob*
    Don't feel so bad I am too.
    Basically this is what has been thrown at me all my life, material things mean nothing, yet I still want.
    I am sitting in my basement apartment looking around at everything I have at the moment and thinking just how much of a hypocrite I truly am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

What is the power of money? Sure it can buy you things, but where is the "real" power. It's through personality. People do not gain power through money, i could name someone, but i don't want to change the direction of the thread.
    It's not because money alone does not make you powerful, that money is not a source of power.

Money translates into power. Look at Berlusconi for instance. Or the US presidential elections that are often decided by who has the largest campaign fund.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

True, like ghandi etc...but its rare nowdays.

You don't exactly see poor people make country decisions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)

i just want to buy my island and live happily ever after in paradise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)

It all comes down to you how you define "power". I agree money give you purchasing power, but that's where i see the power ends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    It all comes down to you how you define "power". I agree money give you purchasing power, but that's where i see the power ends.
    really? in some country money will buy you more than power, it can buy influence...and that leads to power...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    i just want to buy my island and live happily ever after in paradise!
    But what if it's inhabbited by giant mosquittos and man eating lizzards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    really? in some country money will buy you more than power, it can buy influence...and that leads to power...
    It doesn't lead to respect. Respect is earnt, not bought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Right, money does not equal power, just a sense of power.
    The term bankruptcy jumps to mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    It doesn't lead to respect. Respect is earnt, not bought.
    i didnt mention respect though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    But what if it's inhabbited by giant mosquittos and man eating lizzards?
    ill be rich enough to kill the misquitos with that new technology stuff.....and there arent dinosaurs anymore...INFINITY STOP INTERRUPTING MY PARADISE!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.