Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    ill be rich enough to kill the misquitos with that new technology stuff.....and there arent dinosaurs anymore...INFINITY STOP INTERRUPTING MY PARADISE!
    Lol, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    i didnt mention respect though...
    You mentioned influence, which is linked with respect in my opinion. People will only listen if they are scared or respect that person. This threads getting a bit side-tracked, but what the hell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    You mentioned influence, which is linked with respect in my opinion. People will only listen if they are scared or respect that person. This threads getting a bit side-tracked, but what the hell?
    exactly, money will buy respect of the "do it otherwise u'll never see your parents again" thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    It all comes down to you how you define "power". I agree money give you purchasing power, but that's where i see the power ends.
    Money gives you the possibility to eat healthy and good food. You can afford to go to the gym etc. etc.
    So, money can increase your physical power.

Money gives you the possibility to buy fancy clothes, do plastic surgery etc. etc.
    It can enhance your attractivity and hence increase both your social and sexual power.

Money can buy you bodyguards and guns. You can put people under pressure, dominate them, have power over them.

Money can get you to the top of government, by campaign financing, bribing. etc. etc.

Money can give you the power to increase other people's standards of life by charity etc. So, you can make a difference in their life. That's power.

So, you can't claim that money does not enhance power.

Besides, I would like to challenge your point about money not having anything to do with happiness by this question: Why do we need charity, if money does not make people happier?? Do you think we should abolish charity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Lol, sorry.
    its ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    exactly, money will buy respect of the "do it otherwise u'll never see your parents again" thing.
    That's not respect, that's fear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    That's not respect, that's fear.
    Really? Still connected to money..and fear makes you do things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    Besides, I would like to challenge your point about money not having anything to do with happiness by this question: Why do we need charity, if money does not make people happier?? Do you think we should abolish charity?
    I don't think i said money can't buy happiness. The only reference i did make was a lonely millionaire and a family man that had a job to put food on the table and enable him to live, and i was talking in terms of "rich" - not money.

Which charities are we talking about here, because there is a wide variety of charities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Being rich blurs the difference between friends and enemies...
    not really. you have to have things to have friends. if i have no body i wouldn't have friends except for maybe psychics

i think it's okay to have things to have friends...but basically the question is then, what does a friend mean to you?

ReputationRep:
    Money gives you the possibility to eat healthy and good food. You can afford to go to the gym etc. etc.
    So, money can increase your physical power.

Money gives you the possibility to buy fancy clothes, do plastic surgery etc. etc.
    It can enhance your attractivity and hence increase both your social and sexual power.

Money can buy you bodyguards and guns. You can put people under pressure, dominate them, have power over them.

Money can get you to the top of government, by campaign financing, bribing. etc. etc.

Money can give you the power to increase other people's standards of life by charity etc. So, you can make a difference in their life. That's power.

So, you can't claim that money does not enhance power.

Any way you look at it money does not and never will = power, just the sense of power or as G4ry said purchasing power. That is not true power.
    Nor can money ever buy true happiness, only empty happiness.
    As far as charity goes no it should not be abolished, those that have more than they need should give the excess to those less fortunate.
    Bottom line money=greed greed=more greed and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I don't think i said money can't buy happiness. The only reference i did make was a lonely millionaire and a family man that had a job to put food on the table and enable him to live, and i was talking in terms of "rich" - not money.

Which charities are we talking about here, because there is a wide variety of charities.
    Ok, sorry, I misread you.

I think we basically agree: Money is not sufficient for happiness, but it is necessary for it.

About the charities: Most people consider giving money to the poor is a good thing. I was just saying that if money and happiness are not linked, what's the point in charity?
    A certain kind of people likes to preach that money is somehow evil and that we should abhor it and yet tells us to give our money to someone else. I was just questioning that stance.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, sorry, I misread you.

I think we basically agree: Money is not sufficient for happiness, but it is necessary for it.

About the charities: Most people consider giving money to the poor is a good thing. I was just saying that if money and happiness are not linked, what's the point in charity?
    A certain kind of people likes to preach that money is somehow evil and that we should abhor it and yet tells us to give our money to someone else. I was just questioning that stance.
    lightning storm i have to go!

ReputationRep:
    lightning storm i have to go!
    lightening storm?

ReputationRep:
    I don't take that stance, i was just asking what the term "being rich" means to people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    lightening storm?
    yes....lightning storm!

ReputationRep:
    yes....lightning storm!
    why do you have to go if its a lightening storm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    lightening storm?
    Lightning storm= power outages= bad for computer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Any way you look at it money does not and never will = power, just the sense of power or as G4ry said purchasing power. That is not true power.
    Nor can money ever buy true happiness, only empty happiness.
    As far as charity goes no it should not be abolished, those that have more than they need should give the excess to those less fortunate.
    Bottom line money=greed greed=more greed and so on.
    What is 'true power' then?
    To me power is the ability to have an impact on the world and on other people's lifes. George Bush has power, because he can push the red button and nuke the world to death and because he can make a huge difference to millions of AIDS-patients by providing billions of dollars in aid. My dog has less power, but still has some, because he can bite and hurt me as well as be a good dog and improve the quality of my life. A stone has no power, because it can not change anything through it's own will.

According to my definition, money IS a significant source of power.

About charity: The 'less fortunate' are presumably people who have less power and more importantly are less happy. If they weren't, they wouldn't need money. So, if charity is justified, money does increase both power and happiness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    why do you have to go if its a lightening storm?
    because...were afraid that the lightning will hit the house and fry the computers...but my dad hasnt made me get off yet

ReputationRep:
    . A stone has no power,.
    per se maybe, but what about a giant called Goliath and someone called david?

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.