Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a Master's then a PhD, in physics. I'd like to work as an academic at a nice university, preferably with my own peaceful study

Does anyone else want an academic career? Or do you want to be a professional of some sort (eg. Doctor, Engineer)? Or do you just want a job that will pay the bills and leave the fun till hometime?

Oh, and why?

ReputationRep:
    acedemic comes next if i cant be a famous actor preferably in ...erm...summat :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Because I want to study for the rest of my life. I heard Pao Alto is a nice place to live. And New Haven. Or possibly even Grantchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Yes. Because I want to study for the rest of my life. I heard Pao Alto is a nice place to live. And New Haven. Or possibly even Grantchester.
    what subject, Dr. Linda?

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Academic...! Unless I go into the legal profession it's most likely going to have to be academic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    preferably with my own peaceful study
    With the benefit of a fit secretary?

Me? I want to be a cardiologist...

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a Master's then a PhD, in physics.

Oh, and why?
    you just want to be called Dr. don't you?
    Personally I don't think I've got the stamina to be an academic after uni, and it's harder to get larger amounts of money.

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a Master's then a PhD, in physics. I'd like to work as an academic at a nice university, preferably with my own peaceful study

Does anyone else want an academic career? Or do you want to be a professional of some sort (eg. Doctor, Engineer)? Or do you just want a job that will pay the bills and leave the fun till hometime?

Oh, and why?
    id like to be a lawyer!

ReputationRep:
    yep, ill be a proffesional engineer thanks!

plenty of jobs! i was offered one last year for when i leave uni!

ReputationRep:
    I want to be an academic, I'd love to be if I had the brains to cope with it.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    what subject, Dr. Linda?
    Philosophy (analytical).

but the way I'm heading I'll probably end up as hosting "Uncommon Knowledge". Not that would be such a bad thing, and Pao Alto is nice... But I'd rather study philosophy.

ReputationRep:

Oh, and why?
    Yes, I would like to be an academic, though I'm not sure in a university, as wouldn't really like to live in a small apartment in close proximity to students. Preferably, a nice house next to the ocean, mountains and forests where I could write about English literature and philosophy...idealistic, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Muffin)
    Yes, I would like to be an academic, though I'm not sure in a university, as wouldn't really like to live in a small apartment in close proximity to students. Preferably, a nice house next to the ocean, mountains and forests where I could write about English literature and philosophy...idealistic, no?
    heh sounds nice how would this earn you a living though?

ReputationRep:
    I'm still wondering whether I'd like to be an engineer or a physicist.

Engineering is probably slightly more varied with the design of different things and some hands-on stuff, I suppose it depends how you do the job?

But the main advantage of choosing to be a science researcher is I could become Dr. S. Bateman (yes, my real name has been revealed!). I don't get where these physicists get their money from, sitting in a lab all day. I guess they get sponsorship from these multinational energy companies and the like. But what about the people who like to smash things together in particle accelerators, I don't see who would want to pay them to discover new particles or make ever-more-radioactive materials with higher and higher masses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Philosophy (analytical).

but the way I'm heading I'll probably end up as hosting "Uncommon Knowledge". Not that would be such a bad thing, and Pao Alto is nice... But I'd rather study philosophy.
    Ahhh, I may meet you at a conference one day...

ReputationRep:
    yep that would be nice
    my sister is probably going to be doing a phd in eng lit next year so i dont want her thinking shes the only clever one lol

i know academia doesnt pay well, but i dont give a toss really. who needs money when you can get eternal life (of an academic legacy sort lol)?!
    That's very profound for a sunday night.

ReputationRep:
    I want to work in education or invent things. I don't want a modame 9-5 office job under any circumstances.

My plan is to get a boring 9-5 job when I graduate save a lot of the money I earn then do a part time masters if I can cope with my masters I shall take it from there. I don't think at this stage I could do a PhD but then 3 years ago I would have said there is no way I could have done a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    I'm still wondering whether I'd like to be an engineer or a physicist.

Engineering is probably slightly more varied with the design of different things and some hands-on stuff, I suppose it depends how you do the job?

But the main advantage of choosing to be a science researcher is I could become Dr. S. Bateman (yes, my real name has been revealed!). I don't get where these physicists get their money from, sitting in a lab all day. I guess they get sponsorship from these multinational energy companies and the like. But what about the people who like to smash things together in particle accelerators, I don't see who would want to pay them to discover new particles or make ever-more-radioactive materials with higher and higher masses.
    why not be an doctor in engineering

ReputationRep:
    aw caic, it looks like academia's going to be crowded! Bang goes my dream of a lovely, perhaps penniless, existence exposing enthusiatic students to the joys of astrophysics while simultaneously finding the unified theory along with my wonderfully dedicated and frightfully interesting colleagues.

Of course, when I win the Nobel Prize, I won't be penniless any more.
    And then she woke up.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.