Do you want to be an academic?

Watch
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
several of my lecturers are doctors and i have phd students as mentors. Yes, you can deff be a doctor in engineering
do the phd students get paid?
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd like to do some work as an academic (be it lecturing alongside research) in politics or philosophy. Although I don't think I'd want the academic lifestyle forever.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Now nanotechnology is good but I don't have a steady hand (deliberately stupid comment just for the hell of it).

Seems a bit far off though, the most nanotechnological stuff they do nowadays are silicon chips, right?

The US government has spent a million dollars on nanotechnology over the last 2 years. Stuff already being used include nanotechniques used to make sunscreens, stain resistant fibres and materials in cars. In the future I think our self-deluded recklessness with collide with our growing technological power. Nanotechnology, biotechnology and computer science will meet and we will have the ability to release self-replicating entities into the environment. Just a thought.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
Same here tbh, but astrophysics for me .
see, there are intelligent people on UKL, you just have to encourage them out of the woodwork
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ah, I feel so knowledgable now.

Is physics fashionble? Any female physicists here?
Fashionable? I dunno, but it's interesting.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by edders)
nanotech is a very exciting area, but i wouldnt want to work on technology that could have a military application.
Ah, pacifist

That'd be exciting though. I'd rather work on saving lives than taking them though.

How do people become a doctor in engineering, I just don't get it.
curryADD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ah, I feel so knowledgable now.

Is physics fashionble? Any female physicists here?
no, ive never had 'real' physics, but what ive had, i didnt like!
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
see, there are intelligent people on UKL, you just have to encourage them out of the woodwork
Lol .
not1
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776)
do the phd students get paid?
i think you get awarded funding to pay your living costs while you do it, and you can supplement your income by doing work (helping students) at the uni awarding your phd.
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Just because they do astrophysics?
If I was intelligent, I'd be doing the TPAM (Theoretical Physics and Applied Maths) course.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hopefully there should be some attractive lady scientists at imperial
My friend's doing physics at imperial (first year) and he hasn't come back home for the xmas holidays - that must be a good sign!
not1
Rep:
?
Ah, pacifist

That'd be exciting though. I'd rather work on saving lives than taking them though.

How do people become a doctor in engineering, I just don't get it.
engineering has its cutting edge just like all other subjects. eg. using new materials to make new structures (perhaps :confused: )
not1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nylex)
If I was intelligent, I'd be doing the TPAM (Theoretical Physics and Applied Maths) course.
wheres that? ive got an offer for theoretical physics (msci) at durham but decided IC is better.
a_musical_guy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, professional jobs are no fun and they really take the joy out of life. I want a simple, easy going job with an honest pay. I want to work hard, save up my money and have plenty of free time to enjoy it. Qualifications are only pieces of paper that are (generally) meaningless. Life is about enjoying yourself and making the most of it, not spending your time in a cold, damp classroom, listening to repetitive facts from some old useless knowledge fart.

Ok, degrees... sure they help you to get a job, but at what price? They only "really" help you with the stressful, understaffed paperwork jobs and that's something I really don't want. I want to spend my time aiming for something that eventually leads to, say, 2-weeks of sun-filled bliss in Barbados - not a piece of paper saying I've earned a degree. I want a job where I can come home at the end of a hard day's work and watch TV. I don't want the hassel of homework or reading some dull book, worrying about the next day... I want to do what I want.

You are born into a colourful world with so much to explore. You are a free spirit and you are not tied down to anything. When we are young, we look up to authority (i.e. teachers) and believe most of the things they say. Their influence stays with us through pretty much all our school lives and by the time we are 18, we believe that going to university is the decent and sensible thing to do. So, we pay £3,300, become professionals and make the world work, while we live our lives overworked, stressed and constantly worrying about things.... then we die. Three generations go by and we get forgotten.

So yeah, in short, I want a job that just pays the bills
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Especially since coming to uni I seem to have moved far away from the world of academia, I don't feel its a main part of uni life.
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
TPAM's at Birmingham, only 6 people doing it in 1st year!. There's a separate Theoretical Physics course here too.
not1
Rep:
?
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
...So yeah, in short, I want a job that just pays the bills
fair enough. i just want to 'make a difference' by coming up with some original work. i want to play a part in the development of our species!
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
engineering has its cutting edge just like all other subjects. eg. using new materials to make new structures (perhaps :confused: )
engineering is basically applied maths, so if you can get phd in maths you should in eng!!

anyway, i thought you could get phd's in most subjects?
not1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jools)
Especially since coming to uni I seem to have moved far away from the world of academia, I don't feel its a main part of uni life.
well, your uni life. which is fine if you want it that way
not1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ollie)
engineering is basically applied maths, so if you can get phd in maths you should in eng!!

anyway, i thought you could get phd's in most subjects?
yes, all subjects as far as i know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (89)
21.76%
No (320)
78.24%

Watched Threads