Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    No, professional jobs are no fun and they really take the joy out of life.
    Qualifications are only pieces of paper that are (generally) meaningless. Life is about enjoying yourself and making the most of it, not spending your time in a cold, damp classroom, listening to repetitive facts from some old useless knowledge fart.
    Mass generalisation.
    Remember to tell the A&E doctor that if you are brought into hospital one day. And if he cuts your arm off by mistake ask the lawyer with the meaningless qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Mass generalisation.
    Remember to tell the A&E doctor that if you are brought into hospital one day. And if he cuts your arm off by mistake ask the lawyer with the meaningless qualifications.
    heh yes the 'piece of paper' usually counts for a lot, actually

ReputationRep:
    Wow, there are a lot of people who want to be philosophy academics here. Add me to that list . We should start a club....of sorts :P...

Have any of these would-be philosophy applied to Oxbridge? I went to Cam the other day...I really loved it. I have to see Oxford now but I get a feeling that if I apply it's going to be Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeuroticSurgeon)
    Wow, there are a lot of people who want to be philosophy academics here. Add me to that list . We should start a club....of sorts :P...

Have any of these would-be philosophy applied to Oxbridge? I went to Cam the other day...I really loved it. I have to see Oxford now but I get a feeling that if I apply it's going to be Cambridge.
    yes im suprised academia is so popular on the poll. can we keep the oxbridge chitchat to the uni subforum please?

ReputationRep:

Philsophy, logic and the scientific method at LSE is my dream...

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for drifting off-topic. Perhaps the people who come here are the ones who are really serious about their work and that's why we have so many academic wannabes?

ReputationRep:
    Mass generalisation.
    Will do :rolleyes:

and once they finished sewing my arm back on, I will recover, jet off to some sunny desert island and think about him stressing out with his paperwork and schedules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Physics and Philosophy is a very interesting combination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    the philosophy of science is very interesting, i would have that as a research interest alongside the physics research. have you read karl popper's 'the logic of scientific discovery'? if not its brill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    Will do :rolleyes:

and once they finished sewing my arm back on, I will recover, jet off to some sunny desert island and think about him stressing out with his paperwork and schedules.
    and then sue him from your lap-top on the beach and use the money to buy another round of cocktails?

ReputationRep:
    And I'm not keen on Philosophy with Science (I'm just not a science person), but you MUST read some of Richard Dawkins' books. Read "The Blind Watchmaker" and "The Selfish Gene". They're brilliant....absolutely fascinating.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for drifting off-topic. Perhaps the people who come here are the ones who are really serious about their work and that's why we have so many academic wannabes?
    perhaps thats it. there are also many on here just for the chit-chat, which is fine but its all-pervasiveness is annoying.

ReputationRep:
    And I'm not keen on Philosophy with Science (I'm just not a science person), but you MUST read some of Richard Dawkins' books. Read "The Blind Watchmaker" and "The Selfish Gene". They're brilliant....absolutely fascinating.
    The Selfish Gene is brilliant, I never thought any human motives were purely altruistic...

ReputationRep:
    and then sue him from your lap-top on the beach and use the money to buy another round of cocktails?
    ha ok ill let this post stay because it made me smile. personally i couldnt stand just living an easy life of little contemplation, id rather be a tortured academic with more questions than answers

ReputationRep:
    i think humans can be altruistic, im not as cynical as dawkins.

ReputationRep:
    I'll just ask if anyone thinks philosophy helps or hinders science?

ReputationRep:
    what branch of philosphy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    i think humans can be altruistic, im not as cynical as dawkins.
    If you think about it deeply though, this is always a selfish instinct behind human behaviour. Just even if it makes you feel better about yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    the philosophy of science is very interesting, i would have that as a research interest alongside the physics research. have you read karl popper's 'the logic of scientific discovery'? if not its brill
    It's funny how people immediatly thinks "physics" when someone mentions science. You can actually choose between the scientific method of natural sciences and social sciences at LSE. I would choose the latter. I agree that it is interesting though, I loved philosophy of science as part of the IB theory of knowledge course. We read some Popper, have been preoccupied with Russel, Kant and Kuhn lately myself. I'll read up on Popper when I get the time.

ReputationRep:
    both i think

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.