Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    I'll just ask if anyone thinks philosophy helps or hinders science?
    science is otherwise known as 'natural philosophy'; theyre integral to each other, so the question is somewhat illogical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    i think humans can be altruistic, im not as cynical as dawkins.
    I think very few people are as cynical as Dawkins, but he IS a very interesting writer..."we are just bytes and bytes of digital information". Brilliant. To me, he's a breath of fresh air, and a must for anyone who wants to do Philo with Science because of the way he links it in.

And for the other post - your question shouldn't be "Does philosophy help or hinder science?" but rather "Does science help or hinder philosophy?".

I personally think that they work well together, as long as one recognises both philosophy and science's limitations. They both seek to find knowledge, but tend to diversify when it comes to actually finding it. Science, remember, is a matter of human experience, and Philosophy is often a matter of just reason, or experience with reason. Of course it depends what type of Philosophy you're talking about - science as Edd said is "natural philosophy" after all. Aristotle was a philosopher AND a scientist.

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone think about being a military scientist? they get the most funding, and your research doesn't have to be about killing people, so it's not that immoral.

ReputationRep:
    science is otherwise known as 'natural philosophy'; theyre integral to each other, so the question is somewhat illogical
    philosophy is actually greek for "love of science", so i guess they don't hinder each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    It's funny how people immediatly thinks "physics" when someone mentions science. You can actually choose between the scientific method of natural sciences and social sciences at LSE. I would choose the latter. I agree that it is interesting though, I loved philosophy of science as part of the IB theory of knowledge course. We read some Popper, have been preoccupied with Russel, Kant and Kuhn lately myself. I'll read up on Popper when I get the time.
    i dont think the study of politics, economics etc. qualify as a science
    have you read kuhn's 'the structure of scientific revolutions'? thats his main work

ReputationRep:
    "Love of Science"? I'm pretty sure it's "Love of Knowledge"....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeuroticSurgeon)
    "Love of Science"? I'm pretty sure it's "Love of Knowledge"....
    and "science" is from the latin for knowledge......

ReputationRep:
    Physicists get so much help from subjective and often vague aesthetic judgments that it might be expected that we would be helped also by philosophy out of which after all our science evolved. Can philosophy give us any guidance toward a final theory?

ReputationRep:
    the one thing that has hindered scientific development has been religion (my opinion)
    i saw something about Da Vinci discovering all this useful and important stuff about the human anatomy which was kept secret or called a load of old tosh.

then in later centuries all his work had then been proved correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    philosophy is actually greek for "love of science", so i guess they don't hinder each other.
    love of wisdom actually, but i know what you mean

i think science is just a member of the class of philosophical systems, with its own set of concepts about knowledge, being etc. is there anything inherently special about it which sets it apart from other systems (eg. christianity) :confused: im not sure

ReputationRep:
    love of wisdom actually, but i know what you mean

i think science is just a member of the class of philosophical systems, with its own set of concepts about knowledge, being etc. is there anything inherently special about it which sets it apart from other systems (eg. christianity) :confused: im not sure
    wisdom, sophia, science, knowledge. alll the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think the study of politics, economics etc. qualify as a science
    Why not!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    wisdom, sophia, science, knowledge. alll the same thing.
    methinks not laddie

ReputationRep:
    methinks not laddie
    you know what i mean.

ReputationRep:
    I get the horrible feeling this thread is heading in the direction of whether god exists!

ReputationRep:
    I get the horrible feeling this thread is heading in the direction of whether god exists!
    Bah, GOD? There is no God. Unless any of you want to challenge me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Why not!?
    because unlike the physical sciences, theories in social 'science' dont make accurate predictions/use 'objective' data, etc.
    tired

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    ever heard of the complexity horizon?

ReputationRep:
    heh i dont have that feeling god doesnt need to come into this dicussion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I don't believe in god, but I may for the sake of argument lol..
    oh btw, quote at the top of the page "Even moderation ought not to be practiced to excess." hmmmmm

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.