Turn on thread page Beta

Do you want to be an academic? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    1 little thing i don't like about physics (A level) is the assumptions and things like that.

eg: the infinitely long solenoid, whats the point it can never exist :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    It's funny how people immediatly thinks "physics" when someone mentions science.
    I feel like qouting Rutherford here

All science is either physics or stamp collecting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    1 little thing i don't like about physics (A level) is the assumptions and things like that.

Don't forget maths:

A "thin" strip - i.e. no width

A singularity

And the length of string is always 2a.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    I don't believe in god, but I may for the sake of argument lol..
    oh btw, quote at the top of the page "Even moderation ought not to be practiced to excess." hmmmmm
    its my thread, and ill delete any posts i feel arent up to scratch!
    im not sure whether i believe in god. one of the benefits of an academic career is that you get plenty of time to decide what your opinion on that matter is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    wisdom, sophia, science, knowledge. alll the same thing.
    I've just got out my copy of Liddell & Scott's lexicon, and it says sophia means cleverness, skill, wisdom, cunning, shrewdness, craft, and "perfect scientific knowledge". So you are correct elpaw...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    ever heard of the complexity horizon?
    "What it means is that every subject has a certain degreeof complexity, below which the subject can be understood, but above which thesubject is impossible to comprehend."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)

heh thats an accurate observation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    the what? i knew OCR B was the dossiest alevel around!
    edexcel for your information!! although our teacher teaches us things a little bit more advanced

"now you dont need to know this but i'm going to teach it to you anyway" :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

well it was when he said it but not anymore...

ReputationRep:

This is not an assumption, it is an APROXIMATION.

The point is that it is significantly easier to calculate the magnetic field for an infinite solenoid, and then show that it is quite a good aproximation for the field of a finite solenoide, as compared to calculating the field of a finite solenoid to begin with. Basicly it means that for a solenoid that is long enough, the approximation will yield a result that is accurate enough. Thus if teh solenoid is infinite, the result will be accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    "What it means is that every subject has a certain degreeof complexity, below which the subject can be understood, but above which thesubject is impossible to comprehend."
    so there could be a being or process more complex than us in the universe, that we would not be able to comprehend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    its my thread, and ill delete any posts i feel arent up to scratch!
    yes, yes, i know....*hangs head in shame*. I'm hardly a UKL spammer though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I've just got out my copy of Liddell & Scott's lexicon, and it says sophia means cleverness, skill, wisdom, cunning, shrewdness, craft, and "perfect scientific knowledge". So you are correct elpaw...
    not correct in saying all those words mean the same thing. there are subtle differences, im sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    so there could be a being or process more complex than us in the universe, that we would not be able to comprehend.
    i.e. we are the foetus argument. And a foetus will not have outside experience so we cannot make a judgement.

Is that correct?

ReputationRep:
    edexcel for your information!! although our teacher teaches us things a little bit more advanced

"now you dont need to know this but i'm going to teach it to you anyway" :rolleyes:
    i was saying OCR B was a dossy alevel. wenever learnt about solenoids. ps what are they? (something to do with DNA?)

edit: i remember now. a coil. i remember that from GCSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    well it was when he said it but not anymore...
    Id say it still is. It depends how you chose to interpretate his words. It also deals a lot with determenism. NO! Quantum mechanics has NOT showned that there is no determenism, with schrödingers interpretation of Quantum mechanics determenism still exist, although the defenition of a measurement is a bit troublesome...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    i was saying OCR B was a dossy alevel. wenever learnt about solenoids. ps what are they? (something to do with DNA?)
    oh right, well a solenoid is a coil of wires :eek: and an infiniely long solenoid is one that has an infinite number of coils.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    not correct in saying all those words mean the same thing. there are subtle differences, im sure.
    i know there are subtle differences. but you can find them in the same section in a thesaurus. they're synonyms

ReputationRep:
    This is not an assumption, it is an APROXIMATION.

The point is that it is significantly easier to calculate the magnetic field for an infinite solenoid, and then show that it is quite a good aproximation for the field of a finite solenoide, as compared to calculating the field of a finite solenoid to begin with. Basicly it means that for a solenoid that is long enough, the approximation will yield a result that is accurate enough. Thus if teh solenoid is infinite, the result will be accurate.
    ohhhh, thats cleared that up anyway

edit* i meant to use the word approximation but worte assumption.

i always mix up resultant and reaction too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    'could' does not imply 'is'

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.