The Student Room Group

2nd year - trusts OR property?

Hey all,

I am a first yr student at KCL getting ready to choose 2nd year modules. I want to pick only one of trusts and property (will be taking tort for sure). The reason I want to pick only one of the two is so that I can have 2 module choices which would help me pick subjects of my interest (and in turn help in applying for 2nd yr internship/vocational programs).

Any recommendations on which one to take in 2nd and which one to keep for 3rd?

Thanks in advance!!
Property before trusts, definitely. Taking trusts in your 3rd year could be a good move IMO, but remember that you do HAVE to take both at some point to have a qualifying law degree.
Reply 2
nice! Thanks...

I am leaning towards a barrister path right now (but will certainly re-think during the third year). Any recommendations for Advanced Constitutional Law versus Human Rights Law?
It depends what you like.. I HATED property law tbh.. but I quite enjoyed trusts because I liked contract law. It depends on you.
Reply 4
vira
Hey all,

I am a first yr student at KCL getting ready to choose 2nd year modules. I want to pick only one of trusts and property (will be taking tort for sure). The reason I want to pick only one of the two is so that I can have 2 module choices which would help me pick subjects of my interest (and in turn help in applying for 2nd yr internship/vocational programs).

Any recommendations on which one to take in 2nd and which one to keep for 3rd?

Thanks in advance!!

Hey, out of interest what other 2 options are you picking?
Really? I did trusts in 2nd year. Personally, I hated it, but that's because I don't really like corporate/commercial law. It's really really practical and logical though, so if that's the way your brain works, go for it.

I love property because it's really theoretical and concept based. I'm doing prop 1 now and love it - the reading load is intense and insanely tedious to note-take on, not to mention I'm way behind in my readings. But that might have to do with me being a giant procrastinator, lol.

As for consti v human rights: it depends where your interests lie. But pragmatically, consti barristers make HEAPS of money (literally rake it in - one appearance day in court will easily get you in the tens of thousands). And there's little to no money in HR law which is sad because I love HR and it's my dream to work for an NGO and do pro-bono work my entire life. But alas, I need to pay off my student debt, so my future will probably involve a lot of paper-pushing at a law firm forever and ever :frown:

Keep in mind I study law in Australia, but our systems are not all that different, no? :smile:
Reply 6
i would say go for trusts - I find it much easier, unfortunatley i study both :frown:
Reply 7
I study both and I find they are related in some areas, I generally think Trusts is a little more straightforward though. But that's just a personal preference. You do need to study both to qualify so you will have to do them at some point!
Reply 8
Cinderellla
Hey, out of interest what other 2 options are you picking?

Sorry for the late reply! I actually decided to go for both trusts and property (as I realised that the third yr options are interesting too). Apart from that I picked tort and advanced constitutional law.

Latest

Trending

Trending