Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

(Original post by oblivious)
    Freddy Adu's favourite team is Chelsea :P
    Poor kid.

Tbh, Shevchenko's amazing, but why on earth would Chelsea buy him other than for bragging rights? He's not a lone striker, and he'll be the wrong side of 30 before he'd join anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    But then if Milan ever wanted to rid of him at the end of his contract, or Andriy buys out his contract under the new FIFA rules, and as long as he isn't too old, then I guess it's a possibility. Although I think Chelsea will be looking for younger talent such as Freddy Adu etc.
    Does that mean that Chelsea could give a personal gift to Shevchenko of how ever many million pounds it would take to buy out his contract, so he can buy his way out and Chelsea can just sign him?

ReputationRep:
    If I was Chelsea's manager I would rather buy Samuel Eto. He is a much better player now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliemccowan)
    Does that mean that Chelsea could give a personal gift to Shevchenko of how ever many million pounds it would take to buy out his contract, so he can buy his way out and Chelsea can just sign him?
    It's a possibility.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think?
    I bloody well hope not :mad:btw Die Frank Lampard, you cocky ***-Gerrard you're still a hero

(Original post by Ronaldinho_88)
    If I was Chelsea's manager I would rather buy Samuel Eto. He is a much better player now.
    Your wish, my command. See here.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think?
    what is it with you and shevchenko? he's almost in his 30s now and i doubt that even Chelsea would pay £30m+ for him. even if his contract expires, i dont think he would choose the EPL, due to its fast pace compared to Serie A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reloaded)
    what is it with you and shevchenko?
    I don't care who. Just need an outright goalscorer - Drogba doesn't cut it, Crespo hardly gets a game and is older than Shevchenko, Carlton Cole isn't progressing, so that leaves just Gudjohnsen.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care who. Just need an outright goalscorer - Drogba doesn't cut it, Crespo hardly gets a game and is older than Shevchenko, Carlton Cole isn't progressing, so that leaves just Gudjohnsen.
    Crespo is a top quality player iMO. Drogba to me is all strength(plus pace i guess) and not much else, however i guess that's very important in the premiership, hence why Morientes is failing. Drogba is also a petulant whiner, no offence.

ReputationRep:
    But Crespo might not be suited for the English style of play. Drogba is okay, I've seen him play for Marseille. And Liverpool (and Newcastle) should know all about him before he arrived to England.

ReputationRep:
    But Crespo might not be suited for the English style of play.
    Took the words out of my mouth virtually

No point buying a superstar if he doesn't fit the team. Unless you sacrifice the rest of the team, there would be little point in buying Shevchenko. He needs a supporting striker and clever through-passes (Kaka > Lampard or Essien at this). No chance that he'll take the long ball and play in others.

ReputationRep:
    Just need an outright goalscorer
    i cant believe that MU, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool didnt make an effort to sign Owen, who is a pure outright goalscorer, something that they all lack (apart from RvN)

But Crespo might not be suited for the English style of play. Drogba is okay, I've seen him play for Marseille. And Liverpool (and Newcastle) should know all about him before he arrived to England.
    At Marseille, the team was built around him and had confidence in him. This is no longer the case and, to me, he is nothing to what he once was.

i cant believe that MU, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool didnt make an effort to sign Owen, who is a pure outright goalscorer, something that they all lack (apart from RvN)
    Money talks. We couldn't bid vs. Shepherd.

ReputationRep:
    Cisse could be.....every time Liverpool lack any spark and pace, and look static, when he comes on he makes an impact and livens them up......but he's not gettin enough chances, too much caution with the 5 man midfield. Even with five they could play him on his own, cos although Crouch holds it up, he lacks pace. I think Sissoko is promising too.....but i've gone off topic

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool did make an effort but didn't want to pay the asking price. Chelsea have enough strikers as it is and they're going to have to keep Carlton Cole and Crespo now. Man Utd and Arsenal were the biggest missers of this opportunity I feel.

ReputationRep:
    If there is a single team for London which plays against Irish sides and then smaller clubs go against each other outside of this event then I'm all for it. It's a bit like the British and Irish Lions I guess!
    yeah somewhat similar - just the best like 21 players get chosen to play for the 'county' so to speak and that would be London....if ya know what I mean xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Cisse could be.....
    yes but he's a bit crappy

Liverpool did make an effort but didn't want to pay the asking price.
    but they're happy to pay £7m for Crouch?

Chelsea have enough strikers as it is and they're going to have to keep Carlton Cole and Crespo now. Man Utd and Arsenal were the biggest missers of this opportunity I feel
    chelsea dont have enough GOOD strikers. if Chelsea and Arsenal/ManUtd swapped strikers, Chelsea would score 100+ goals per season!

ReputationRep:
    if chelsea signed owen, i think they'd have been the best team in the world, ever.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.