Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nike_inc)
    Yes we lost to a good team but united lost to a wack team Middlesboro 4-1 Man utd Hahahahhahah thats a bit of disgrace
    Yes, but one result does'nt change a season. We lost 3-1 to Sheff Wednesday one time, and what happened next? We won everything mate.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I've noticed this. A lot of Arsenal supports were delighted with Chelsea losing to Man Utd but conceded they're not going to win the title. So that result could mean the difference for Man Utd finishing 2nd. If I was supporting Arsenal and concede the title I'd want my nearest rivals for the next places to gain the least amount of points. A draw would have been decent for the average Liverpool or Arsenal supporter I would have thought. :confused:
    We're not in the stage of the season to be worrying about that, people are more concerned aboiut the performance of their team than comparing them to others'. Sunday meant little to me, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    well, chelsea could be dragged in their tracks if teams would be more willing to TRY. look at west brom, they fielded a second string, conceding their game without the whistle being blown. chelsea do have off-days and if teams would try more, they might be able to catch chelsea off their footing.

sigh.

anyway, i dont think liverpool can win anything domestically. they are not consistent and always leave things to the end. benitez's striking choice of crouch isnt helping much too!

(Original post by Jaetie)
    anyway, i dont think liverpool can win anything domestically. they are not consistent and always leave things to the end. benitez's striking choice of crouch isnt helping much too!
    Benitez is his own man, and is acknowledged as perhaps the most tactically astute manager in Europe. We are not in the position to question a man, as many 'pundits' try to, who has given us the European Cup in his first season and taken us to the final of a domestic cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nike_inc)
    Yes we lost to a good team but united lost to a wack team Middlesboro 4-1 Man utd Hahahahhahah thats a bit of disgrace
    hey.. dont forget that boro also beat arsenal! so you cant fault united. plus, chelsea may even fall to boro themselves, so just wait and see..
    --------------
    (Original post by vjman645)
    How can you call the result a fluke? In football there is a fine line between success and failure and Manchester United were just on the right side of the line today just like Chelsea have been several times before. I must admit at the end of the game it was a balanced match but in the first half we outplayed and outpassed Chelsea with our makeshift midfield and we deserved to lead. In the second half they were on top but we could have easily scored more with our numerous counter attacks.
    true. both sides came very close to scoring a lot more goals. but it was a good well balanced match that could have turned either way just like arsenal-chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed this. A lot of Arsenal supports were delighted with Chelsea losing to Man Utd but conceded they're not going to win the title. So that result could mean the difference for Man Utd finishing 2nd. If I was supporting Arsenal and concede the title I'd want my nearest rivals for the next places to gain the least amount of points. A draw would have been decent for the average Liverpool or Arsenal supporter I would have thought. :confused:
    I think it'll probably end with Man U in second and Chelsea in first, so it doesn't affect us at all. We have to aim for fourth or, at best, third. It might all change, depending on January sales.
    For Arsenal supporters who haven't conceded the title the result is a good one. For those that have, they're probably more concerned about their unbeaten run record, and remaining the only team to finish a Prem season unbeaten. Especially so early in the season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)
    I would say that Bolton, Everton and Blackburn did the premiership a favour before Man UTD did.... they both showed that it is possible to attack Chelsea and get goals etc and at times can defend against them also... it showed that 4-4-2 can work against them, as opposed to playing 4-5-1 and trying to defend...

I am sure the fact that Moyes and Hughes both played 4-4-2 against Chelsea and played some good football, and scored goals, made Ferguson realise that maybe 4-4-2 was better for the game as opposed to their wierd 4-5-1 formation... Chelsea are used to dominating games but as has been proved recently, they dont like teams coming at them!
    yeah. bolton, everton, blackburn showed that chelsea can concede. chelsea kept six cleansheets at the beginning of the season and conceded seven in the past six games. teams shd just attack more.

but what man united did was show the league the way. other teams managed to score against chelsea - villa, liverpool, bolton, everton, blackburn - but they all ended up losing (with everton the only exception). they only showed that chelsea can concede, but did not show the chelsea could lose. furthermore, the only other time chelsea loss in the league (since moanrinho) was due to a penalty.

villa, liverpool, bolton, blackburn all loss bcos they couldnt defend. now united has showed the league to score early and defend. hard.

ReputationRep:
    Donno as i liverpool supporter i wanted man u to win but mainly because i had manyman u players in my fantasy football team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cybercool)
    Donno as i liverpool supporter i wanted man u to win but mainly because i had manyman u players in my fantasy football team
    thats kinda contradicting eh.

but man united can beat chelsea with two conditions:
    1 - they put in consistent performances like against chelsea, with ferdinand bucking up every week
    2 - teams actually trying harder against chelsea. push them all the way.

ReputationRep:
    well, im not hoping for it to be spent wisely, but rather shwerdly.

think solskjaer, cantona, schmeichel. they didnt cost much but still did the job.

unfortunately, some wisely-invested players who cost the club a bomb in the tune of £20-£30m, didnt perform like they shd.

cheap may not be gd all the time, but cheap can pay off some times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamlan)
    I think it'll probably end with Man U in second and Chelsea in first, so it doesn't affect us at all. We have to aim for fourth or, at best, third. It might all change, depending on January sales.
    For Arsenal supporters who haven't conceded the title the result is a good one. For those that have, they're probably more concerned about their unbeaten run record, and remaining the only team to finish a Prem season unbeaten. Especially so early in the season
    True but I'd rather have another Premiership title than beating Arsenal's record especially with a club that is inferior to others with respect to honours.

ReputationRep:
    True but I'd rather have another Premiership title than beating Arsenal's record especially with a club that is inferior to others with respect to honours.
    Could've had both.....

ReputationRep:
    it's going to be difficult to get foriegn players in january.

ReputationRep:
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    well players like Ballack would rather play in the champions league than not:rolleyes: :p: and i'm concerned about our form in europe

ReputationRep:
    Oh because they are cup tied. They should do away with that rule. It prevents freedom of movement and restricts trade.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: thats why we had to buy saha last season - the old fart

ReputationRep:
    The old man prefers his business in the summer, but I think he's got not much choice when the January window opens this season. He may be an old fart, but remember he's the most successful manager in England's league, and British too.

ReputationRep:
    i was calling saha the old fart!!:p: maybe i should have just called him a fart

what fergie said was true, we've got too many first team regulars injured and the players coming in arent experienced enough. we've got not depth in our squad- fergie has to pick the team that he does.

ReputationRep:
    Man Utd need to be careful of Charlton. Still there is this same Utd fan in my Halls gloating the fact that Ferguson managed to beat Mourinho once out of so many attempts. Yet if your players lower their guard, Charlton, your next Premiership opponents, will more than likely punish you. And all that effort in beating Chelsea is down the drain.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.