Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    yeh should have gone into modelling. Dunno what he's doing being a football manager.
    --------------

No offence, but robbie savage and craig bellamy are pussy's! And this so called "Dickov" is not particularly hard either - he's about 2 foot tall.
    Yeah but he is very nasty!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cindy)
    Yeah but he is very nasty!! :mad:
    I wouldnt say he was particularly nasty, he just has the desire to win, which in my opinion has been lost in todays game due to high wages etc.

ReputationRep:
    i wonder if U.A.E actually gained anything from that apart from fitness, probably a waste of time for both teams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gordih6)
    I wouldnt say he was particularly nasty, he just has the desire to win, which in my opinion has been lost in todays game due to high wages etc.
    At any cost!!! Even if that means taking down an opponent. He's nasty!!
    I would hate to be on the wrong end of him if I accidently spilt my beer down his front.

PS I don't drink beer really, well everyone knows that anyway.

(Original post by theaman)
    So effectively your saying he just has to 'wait' for a chance all game?

What if he has someone marking him out of the game? Just stand around and wait for the ball even though he isn't going to get any service?

He is doing something right, in scoring, but he needs to do a lot more, like he used to do when he was at Liverpool, and create things and make a lot more runs.etc
    How do they do this? By having the ball in their possession. Why do they have the ball in their possession? Because he was given the supply.

Yes, he's a poacher, not a creator. What do strikers do? They score goals. With us, and I'm fairly confident that I'm qualified to argue from experience, he was played as very much a goalscorer. It may seem he saw more of the ball in a red shirt, but only really because the game was played through him (as opposed to, say, Heskey). He was also allowed more time on the ball to run, as in this set up the ball is given to Rooney to drive while Owen runs into space. I think it's unfair to say he was anonymous except for the goals. He has one disallowed, and I remember occasions in which he drifted over to the wing, looking for a decent passing option before sprinting back to the box asap.

It has to be said that scoring is not the only point of his game. His running off the ball is second to none in our set up, he does create goals, and at 25 he's one of the most experienced players we have. It has to be a very good defense to mark him out of a game, he's almost as sly as God (Fowler) in that respect. He's been around for 7 years, yet he's half way through his career, and what better foil to the more erratic Rooney?

ReputationRep:
    So effectively your saying he just has to 'wait' for a chance all game?

What if he has someone marking him out of the game? Just stand around and wait for the ball even though he isn't going to get any service?

He is doing something right, in scoring, but he needs to do a lot more, like he used to do when he was at Liverpool, and create things and make a lot more runs.etc
    Typical critical response of Owen. He's going to end up as England's highest ever goalscorer when he retires, he could have 350+ career goals, he will go down as one of the best goalscorers the country has seen but he doesn't do enough. He's got no left foot, he can't head the ball, lost all his pace etc. etc. etc.

Owen is a better player than he was at Liverpool. Shearer and van Nistelrooy are (or were in the case of Shearer) than Owen but doesn't take anything away from MO.

ReputationRep:
    I see what your saying both of you - and don't get me wrong I think Owen is a great player - but in my opinion, against teams like Argentina, Brazil, France and Germany, all 11 players need to be involved in the whole game.

Obviously, we still need Owen in the box ready to pounce, but we shouldn't have to rely on just one person to do that all the time. Maybe he could turn provide for Rooney once in a while, which would certainly show other teams we have more than one goalscorer in our team.

ReputationRep:
    I see what your saying both of you - and don't get me wrong I think Owen is a great player - but in my opinion, against teams like Argentina, Brazil, France and Germany, all 11 players need to be involved in the whole game.

Obviously, we still need Owen in the box ready to pounce, but we shouldn't have to rely on just one person to do that all the time. Maybe he could turn provide for Rooney once in a while, which would certainly show other teams we have more than one goalscorer in our team.
    He did that in Portugal in Euro 2004. He was being marked out of most games (including by both central defenders vs France) but that allowed Rooney space to basically run every game. He also set up a few of Rooney's goal, notably against Croatia I think it was. But that didn't stop people continually criticising him, some even suggest Darius Vassel should've taken Owen's place. Analyse Sven's reign as England manager, his best player has been Michael Owen.

I know what you're saying about Owen's all round ability, as a footballer it isn't as good as the likes of van Nistelrooy, Shearer, Shevchenko, Ronaldo etc but the lad is a goalscorer and a fecking good one. His intellegence on and off the ball is excellent and far better than what it was say 3 years ago. England don't have anyone else anywhere near the class of Owen, and I mean a genuine goalscorer. Vassell, Crouch, Smith, Defoe, Bent et al, these aren't anywhere near the class of Owen and I think it's only when he's retired that people will realise just how good he is.

kpg is right, as always, and we also have to remember who it is that performs against these top teams when he needs to - Mickey Owen, no other. Had he not been arsing around on the bench in Madrid last year, his EC would have been much better and people would have been singing his praises. England fans should be glad that Owen's getting regular games as, tbh, he's the classiest striker we have and boasts the best record. If only the feckin' judas had come back home, that's what I'd say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by md_red_uk)
    Does scoring a hatrick not constitute a near perfect game? Is there much more he could contribute to the overall team? Afterall his job is to score and win the match, it really doesn't matter how he goes about doing it.
    It's only a game

ReputationRep:
    Oh Dickov brings back memories during the Battle of Ewood Park. Go Terry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Oh Dickov brings back memories during the Battle of Ewood Park. Go Terry!
    I take it you are talking about chelsea, and i take it you are referring to when Mourinho, the chelsea squad and anyone involved with chelsea basically went off crying, albeit with 3 points.

ReputationRep:
    No. When Terry had his hands round Dickov's neck. He's been watching Duncan Ferguson. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    kpg is right, as always, and we also have to remember who it is that performs against these top teams when he needs to - Mickey Owen, no other. Had he not been arsing around on the bench in Madrid last year, his EC would have been much better and people would have been singing his praises. England fans should be glad that Owen's getting regular games as, tbh, he's the classiest striker we have and boasts the best record. If only the feckin' judas had come back home, that's what I'd say!
    Just to be pedantic he was still a Red during the euro championships. It was when he came back that he decided to piss off to win some shiny medals (hehe).

(Original post by kpg)
    Just to be pedantic he was still a Red during the euro championships. It was when he came back that he decided to piss off to win some shiny medals (hehe).
    *counts on fingers*

Ah well, so much for the english education system...

ReputationRep:
    Is he dead yet?

ReputationRep:
    dont think so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas)
    everton's draw was due to a penalty lol
    a goal's a goal.

--------------

(Original post by BexTait)
    What about Wiagn on the opening day?
    yes, they did come close with their hypnosis sessions. pity they blew their chances. so close!

ReputationRep:
    how old is best?

ReputationRep:
    iain dowie, such a good looking bloke
    theres a face for radio if ever there was one. and yeh wouldnt want to meet him in a dark ally

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.