Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen Essien's challenge yet, will do tomorrow. Hanman is not a dirty player, so i can't see why he would do some a dangerous challenge.

Beside, he must be stupid or lack common sense, chelsea have already qualified for the group stages, so what the heck is the point in doing such a bad challenge? It doesn't make sense, if i was the manager, i would put him on the bench or not use him completely, but since makelele is out, he's needed.

I remember Van persie doing a bad challenge last year and got a red card, and he got into the 1st team straight away i think after he came back from suspension.

Also, Dyer and Bowyer doing that disgraceful bust up last year, and they got back into the 1st team. I think they got a fine, which isn't enough!

Just 'cause a player is good, doesn't mean they should be in the 1st team when they could nearly end a player's career. Fair play to dyer, bowyer and persie, they haven't been as reckless since. But its not the first time essien done it

Football is a dangerous and ulgy game, its not the beautiful game the media call it

ReputationRep:
    - Crouch for World Player of the Year 2006
    - Crouch is World Cup 2006 Golden Boot winner and helps lift the World Cup to newer heights
    - Crouch fires warning to Ronaldinho: ''Not only am I better than you but my teeth scare more people than you!''
    - Dentists become millionaires overnight
    - Barcelona and Real Madrid give up on Henry and focus on Crouch instead
    - Forlan is relieved: ''I thought he was gonna nick my award for 'Floppiest flop of all' off me!!''

ReputationRep:
    - Crouch for World Player of the Year 2006
    - Crouch is World Cup 2006 Golden Boot winner and helps lift the World Cup to newer heights
    - Crouch fires warning to Ronaldinho: ''Not only am I better than you but my teeth scare more people than you!''
    - Dentists become millionaires overnight
    - Barcelona and Real Madrid give up on Henry and focus on Crouch instead
    - Forlan is relieved: ''I thought he was gonna nick my award for 'Floppiest flop of all' off me!!''

ReputationRep:
    The game, boring. Pity those of us with Freeview. Essien should have gone. What is it about Makelele and Essien, they get away with footballing crimes that are regularly red cards for the average footballer. I suppose it's because African footballers in general are very dirty, because as far as tackling goes in African football it's anything goes. Though I don't know what Makelele's excuse is.

People are at last talking about Barcelona. They have been the best team in Europe since the top of the year and should easily win the Champions League. Sure, they don't have the defensive superstardom of Chelsea (Oleguer and Sylvinho are more than competent but less than great, for example), but no one in Europe can boast an attack like Ronaldinho, Eto'o and one of Giuly or Messi. Though Xavi is a tremendous blow and would knockout a lesser team, let's see how Barca get on without him.

--------------

P.S. Essien is in my opinion currently overrated, He's a cog in a well-oiled machine (though a very good cog at that). Man United fans bemoning that we didn't get him to replace Keane are talking rubbish; remember that Keane wasn't just a cog, he WAS the damn machine!

ReputationRep:
    The game, boring. Pity those of us with Freeview. Essien should have gone. What is it about Makelele and Essien, they get away with footballing crimes that are regularly red cards for the average footballer. I suppose it's because African footballers in general are very dirty, because as far as tackling goes in African football it's anything goes. Though I don't know what Makelele's excuse is.

People are at last talking about Barcelona. They have been the best team in Europe since the top of the year and should easily win the Champions League. Sure, they don't have the defensive superstardom of Chelsea (Oleguer and Sylvinho are more than competent but less than great, for example), but no one in Europe can boast an attack like Ronaldinho, Eto'o and one of Giuly or Messi. Though Xavi is a tremendous blow and would knockout a lesser team, let's see how Barca get on without him.

--------------

P.S. Essien is in my opinion currently overrated, He's a cog in a well-oiled machine (though a very good cog at that). Man United fans bemoning that we didn't get him to replace Keane are talking rubbish; remember that Keane wasn't just a cog, he WAS the damn machine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Do you even watch football? Do you follow Liverpool at all? Football is not about reading the back pages of The Sun, or sitting at home flicking up teletext occasionally. No, he's not scoring prolifically, but that was not the purpose in mind, as such, when signed. He was bought by Rafa to suit other purposes than just score - the latter of which has not, in all honesty, been up to scratch - akin to the Carew figure at Valencia.

With proper wingers he'll get a fairer crac at the whip. He links play, holds up the ball, and sets others up: instigating the fluidity that Rafa demands. Watch Liverpool's style of play; defend as a unit, hunt in packs, drive forward as a unit. The recent Premiership perfomances speak volumes (2-0, 3-0, 2-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-0). Somehow I'd rather respect the judgement of one of the most thought of managers of Europe than, well, you.
    yes i do watch football and i try to keep an eye on liverpool. my brother supports them for some unknown reason.

you asked for backup to my statement and i provided it. then you start to cry because it shows him to be inept. "with proper wingers". wise up. you're making excuses. so called european champions and you blame crouchs crapness on the opinion that you dont have any good wingers. fact is he is billed as a 7mil striker and so far has produced nothing to merit more than a few grand. how much are you paying him a week by the way?

how silly you look

--------------

(Original post by jamlan)
    Hmmm. Thanks for that statement, backed up by an almost completely irrelevant stat. :rolleyes: His performances have actually been of a very high standard, the only thing that's been missing from his game has been the goals.
    irrelevant eh...

bet if he'd banged in 10 goals so far this season you clownshoes would be out in force trumpeting such a stat.

the relevant stats are: £7million paid for this "striker". result...1 goal? lovely stuff.

glad my team got 2 strikers in, for a total of £2million, in the close season. how many goals have they got between them? 13.

go away you silly little person and stop wasting time and making excuses. face it...you've bought a lemon. and a lemon would taste sweeter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Do you even watch football? Do you follow Liverpool at all? Football is not about reading the back pages of The Sun, or sitting at home flicking up teletext occasionally. No, he's not scoring prolifically, but that was not the purpose in mind, as such, when signed. He was bought by Rafa to suit other purposes than just score - the latter of which has not, in all honesty, been up to scratch - akin to the Carew figure at Valencia.

With proper wingers he'll get a fairer crac at the whip. He links play, holds up the ball, and sets others up: instigating the fluidity that Rafa demands. Watch Liverpool's style of play; defend as a unit, hunt in packs, drive forward as a unit. The recent Premiership perfomances speak volumes (2-0, 3-0, 2-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-0). Somehow I'd rather respect the judgement of one of the most thought of managers of Europe than, well, you.
    yes i do watch football and i try to keep an eye on liverpool. my brother supports them for some unknown reason.

you asked for backup to my statement and i provided it. then you start to cry because it shows him to be inept. "with proper wingers". wise up. you're making excuses. so called european champions and you blame crouchs crapness on the opinion that you dont have any good wingers. fact is he is billed as a 7mil striker and so far has produced nothing to merit more than a few grand. how much are you paying him a week by the way?

how silly you look

--------------

(Original post by jamlan)
    Hmmm. Thanks for that statement, backed up by an almost completely irrelevant stat. :rolleyes: His performances have actually been of a very high standard, the only thing that's been missing from his game has been the goals.
    irrelevant eh...

bet if he'd banged in 10 goals so far this season you clownshoes would be out in force trumpeting such a stat.

the relevant stats are: £7million paid for this "striker". result...1 goal? lovely stuff.

glad my team got 2 strikers in, for a total of £2million, in the close season. how many goals have they got between them? 13.

go away you silly little person and stop wasting time and making excuses. face it...you've bought a lemon. and a lemon would taste sweeter.

ReputationRep:
    In this thread I hope to lay out the possible scenarios for Group D, in which Man United play Benfica tomorrow. If you don't fancy reading all the football-nerdy stuff scroll down to the summary.

_______ Pts__GD
    Villareal___7___1
    Lille______6___0 (ahead on head-to-head)
    Man U____6___0
    Benfica___5__-1

United go to Benfica and Villareal host Lille.

If United win they qualify, and are joined by Villareal unless Lille beat them (the winner in Spain tops the group). In the event of a draw in Spain a United win takes the group.

If United lose they are out, and Benfica take second place: they are joined by Villareal unless Lille beat them.

If United draw, then:
    Villareal win wins the group to United's second; Benfica go to the UEFA Cup as they have a better head-to-head versus Lille.
    A draw in Spain sees United in the UEFA Cup: Lille have a better head-to-head versus United so they go second to Villareal.

But what if United draw and Villareal lose? Lille would take the group, and it's a tie on 7 points between the English and the Spaniards. Qualification would then be determined by head-to-head record, except both games between the two were 0-0; no tie-breaker here. To break the tie it all gets a bit nerdy. Observe...

Goal difference
    After head-to-head, the next tie-breaker is goal difference. If Villareal lose by two or more, United are through. If they lose by one, the goal differences are equal and the next tie-breaker is goals scored.
    Goals scored
    United have scored two, so have Villareal. If United score more to draw than Villareal in losing, they qualify; if less, Villareal do. If as many, i.e. 0-0 in Portugal and 0-1 in Spain, or 1-1 and 1-2 etc., then goals scored are equal and we go to the final tie-breaker...
    The coefficient
    This is a number calculated for every European team based on recent previous European success. Anyone with some knowledge of football knows United's must be easily better than Villareal's, but for a formal argument remember that United were among the top seeds in the initial allocation to groups. So if it came down to a coefficient United are the undisputed winner.
    _

So we catch our breaths and summarise: United qualify if they win; or if they draw and Villareal win; or if they draw and Lille win by at least two; or if United draw, Lille win by one and United score at least as many as Villareal on the night.

United finish fourth (and are out of Europe altogether) if they lose and Villareal don't win by more than United lose by.

Otherwise United go to the UEFA Cup.

There's just one more thing left to say.

COME ON UNITED!

ReputationRep:
    In this thread I hope to lay out the possible scenarios for Group D, in which Man United play Benfica tomorrow. If you don't fancy reading all the football-nerdy stuff scroll down to the summary.

_______ Pts__GD
    Villareal___7___1
    Lille______6___0 (ahead on head-to-head)
    Man U____6___0
    Benfica___5__-1

United go to Benfica and Villareal host Lille.

If United win they qualify, and are joined by Villareal unless Lille beat them (the winner in Spain tops the group). In the event of a draw in Spain a United win takes the group.

If United lose they are out, and Benfica take second place: they are joined by Villareal unless Lille beat them.

If United draw, then:
    Villareal win wins the group to United's second; Benfica go to the UEFA Cup as they have a better head-to-head versus Lille.
    A draw in Spain sees United in the UEFA Cup: Lille have a better head-to-head versus United so they go second to Villareal.

But what if United draw and Villareal lose? Lille would take the group, and it's a tie on 7 points between the English and the Spaniards. Qualification would then be determined by head-to-head record, except both games between the two were 0-0; no tie-breaker here. To break the tie it all gets a bit nerdy. Observe...

Goal difference
    After head-to-head, the next tie-breaker is goal difference. If Villareal lose by two or more, United are through. If they lose by one, the goal differences are equal and the next tie-breaker is goals scored.
    Goals scored
    United have scored two, so have Villareal. If United score more to draw than Villareal in losing, they qualify; if less, Villareal do. If as many, i.e. 0-0 in Portugal and 0-1 in Spain, or 1-1 and 1-2 etc., then goals scored are equal and we go to the final tie-breaker...
    The coefficient
    This is a number calculated for every European team based on recent previous European success. Anyone with some knowledge of football knows United's must be easily better than Villareal's, but for a formal argument remember that United were among the top seeds in the initial allocation to groups. So if it came down to a coefficient United are the undisputed winner.
    _

So we catch our breaths and summarise: United qualify if they win; or if they draw and Villareal win; or if they draw and Lille win by at least two; or if United draw, Lille win by one and United score at least as many as Villareal on the night.

United finish fourth (and are out of Europe altogether) if they lose and Villareal don't win by more than United lose by.

Otherwise United go to the UEFA Cup.

There's just one more thing left to say.

COME ON UNITED!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    irrelevant eh...

You said that he hasn't performed, when he actually has performed well on a regular basis. I agree that £7mil was too much, but he's English and Southampton were being daft. If he was a "striker", which as far as i'm concerned he isn't, then yes, a poor (let's say "rubbish") goals tally would indicate poor performances, because the goals would be the only part of his game, and he just wouldn't be providing them. I don't appreciate being called a silly little person, i'm really not that little.

ReputationRep:
    irrelevant eh...

You said that he hasn't performed, when he actually has performed well on a regular basis. I agree that £7mil was too much, but he's English and Southampton were being daft. If he was a "striker", which as far as i'm concerned he isn't, then yes, a poor (let's say "rubbish") goals tally would indicate poor performances, because the goals would be the only part of his game, and he just wouldn't be providing them. I don't appreciate being called a silly little person, i'm really not that little.

ReputationRep:
    I just sit back and laugh, to be honest.

"Freaaaaak!" :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I just sit back and laugh, to be honest.

"Freaaaaak!" :rofl:

Considering he went knee high, studs showing into Hamann's standing leg, if it were anyone else the leg would have broken and, in Hamann's case, career ended. Ah well, at least we know that there'll be two things to survive nuclear holocaust: cockroaches and Didi.

Considering he went knee high, studs showing into Hamann's standing leg, if it were anyone else the leg would have broken and, in Hamann's case, career ended. Ah well, at least we know that there'll be two things to survive nuclear holocaust: cockroaches and Didi.

how silly you look
    You do a good job of hiding it. Crouch's poor goalscoring record is partly due to having no wingers, surely you in all your wisdom can realise that a big man needs crosses, not through balls. On top of that he's been missing sitters, but not for lack of trying. Goals aside he's been a great player: movement, passing, holding, everything. As fans of football we support and hold up players who give everything in our shirt, not ones who turn up, miss, and cry. Once again, I'm sure his manager, team mates, back room staff and fans matter more than you or any other 'clued-up' critic looking for a go. I'm perfectly happy with him. As for wages, far less than most in top clubs. The way things are he could score no more goals this season and I'd be perfectly happy.

Wise up, and enough of the insults.

how silly you look
    You do a good job of hiding it. Crouch's poor goalscoring record is partly due to having no wingers, surely you in all your wisdom can realise that a big man needs crosses, not through balls. On top of that he's been missing sitters, but not for lack of trying. Goals aside he's been a great player: movement, passing, holding, everything. As fans of football we support and hold up players who give everything in our shirt, not ones who turn up, miss, and cry. Once again, I'm sure his manager, team mates, back room staff and fans matter more than you or any other 'clued-up' critic looking for a go. I'm perfectly happy with him. As for wages, far less than most in top clubs. The way things are he could score no more goals this season and I'd be perfectly happy.

Wise up, and enough of the insults.

ReputationRep:
    Dull game, I didn't even notice Gerrard was playing until about 60mins in... Doesn't bode too well for the World Cup.

ReputationRep:
    Dull game, I didn't even notice Gerrard was playing until about 60mins in... Doesn't bode too well for the World Cup.

(Original post by NotQuiteCornish)
    Obviously weren't watching then. He was pretty anonymous by Gerrard's standards, but he orchestrated the one worthy move of the game by either side. Why make assumptions about him on one match, considering he's been Captain Fantastic all season? The midfields were nullified by each other in all honesty, not much space to work in for anyone, but Momo was magnificent last night. Easily my MoM.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.