Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    ba_ba1, Xabi and Stevie have played countless times together, they work like magic. Stevie only went to the right to give us more balance. Even then you'll see them both linking extremely well.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool obviously can do without Owen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jusfarhan)
    I'd say Manure's.

However, i'd choose ours over anyone else's. Even now, with Gerrard on the right.

Current:

Gerrard Momo/Didi Alonso Riise

Post January:

Simao/Joaquin Gerrard Alonso Gonzalez

Thass some crazy sh*t right there. R.I.P all other football clubs.
    sissoko is crap and not cos he didnt join us, its like watching traore in the centre of midfield he just cant control his feet, rather have phil neville over him anyday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Newcastle are a top 5 team with a **** manager. Theyre defence has been diabolical for years but apart from that they are underperforming.
    top 5 midfield and attack but their defence is piss poor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oblivious)
    sissoko is crap and not cos he didnt join us, its like watching traore in the centre of midfield he just cant control his feet, rather have phil neville over him anyday
    Matter of opinion. But even then we have Didi. The guy who came on as a sub in the second half of the CL final and made is possible for us to win it.

ReputationRep:
    top 5 midfield and attack but their defence is piss poor
    On paper its not bad. Boumsong and Bramble are very solid, it just seems to be that whatever players they play they are crap

ReputationRep:
    ba_ba1, Xabi and Stevie have played countless times together, they work like magic. Stevie only went to the right to give us more balance. Even then you'll see them both linking extremely well.
    Yes but they need a holding player. Yuo can't just play with Xabi and Gerrard with no - one protecting the defense - that is just suicidal. All the top teams in europe have a DM - you simply have to play with one at the highest level or you will get murdered - CL final first half.

ReputationRep:
    Matter of opinion. But even then we have Didi. The guy who came on as a sub in the second half of the CL final and made is possible for us to win it.
    didi > sissoko easily, he needs to sort his footie out as he plays as if he thinks he's the next vieira

ReputationRep:
    On paper its not bad. Boumsong and Bramble are very solid, it just seems to be that whatever players they play they are crap
    Boumsong and Bramble are terrible - far from solid. Boumsong is always slipping and sliding all over the place and making many errors. Bramble makes many poor tackles and his positioning is very suspect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    Yes but they need a holding player. Yuo can't just play with Xabi and Gerrard with no - one protecting the defense - that is just suicidal. All the top teams in europe have a DM - you simply have to play with one at the highest level or you will get murdered - CL final first half.
    I know, and Xabi does that more than fine, whilst Gerrard surges forward.

They can count on eachother, it works. Their partnership is great.

ReputationRep:
    Boumsong has his good games but can be prone to mistakes, Bramble is just *****, Steven Taylor is pretty good shame he's injured though their full backs are just piss poor in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    didi > sissoko easily, he needs to sort his footie out as he plays as if he thinks he's the next vieira
    Lol fair enough. But he's still learning. I'm an admirer of his aggression though, when I say aggression, I don't mean attempted murder like Essien.

ReputationRep:
    I know, and Xabi does that more than fine, whilst Gerrard surges forward.

They can count on eachother, it works. Their partnership is great.
    Xabi Alonso is NOT a holidng player. He plays a similar role to pirlo at milan and xavi at barca - he is a deeplying playmaker, NOT an anchor man. Alonso doesnt make tackles and cut out passes in midfield and is not disciplined enough to stay back - he likes to go forward aswell and doesnt track back.

why do u think rafa plays with gerrard on the right and with xabi and sissoko/hamman in the middle?

ReputationRep:
    Boumsong and Bramble are terrible - far from solid. Boumsong is always slipping and sliding all over the place and making many errors. Bramble makes many poor tackles and his positioning is very suspect.
    Boumsong used to be class for Auxerre

ReputationRep:
    Boumsong used to be class for Auxerre
    yeh he was. Also good in championship manger aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Xabi Alonso is NOT a holidng player. He plays a similar role to pirlo at milan and xavi at barca - he is a deeplying playmaker, NOT an anchor man. Alonso doesnt make tackles and cut out passes in midfield and is not disciplined enough to stay back - he likes to go forward aswell and doesnt track back.
    He is a playmaker, but he and Stevie work well. That's my point.

"It was no surprise to see Xabi Alonso's return from injury add an extra dimension to Liverpool's play at Sunderland" reveals Aldridge. "Momo Sissoko and Didi Hamann are terrific at protecting the defence but they haven't got Alonso's passing ability. Liverpool look a much bigger threat when he is in the starting line-up.

The balance of Alonso in the middle and Steven Gerrard on the right is perfect because they are in tune with one another. Just look at the way they linked up during the 2-0 win at the Stadium of Light. Liverpool's form dropped away badly last year when Xabi broke his ankle but if he steers clear of injury this time around, he will be a hugely important player in the second half of the campaign."

ReputationRep:
    yeh he was. Also good in championship manger aswell.
    Along with Kompany and Mexes

ReputationRep:
    He is a playmaker, but he and Stevie work well. That's my point.

"It was no surprise to see Xabi Alonso's return from injury add an extra dimension to Liverpool's play at Sunderland" reveals Aldridge. "Momo Sissoko and Didi Hamann are terrific at protecting the defence but they haven't got Alonso's passing ability. Liverpool look a much bigger threat when he is in the starting line-up.

The balance of Alonso in the middle and Steven Gerrard on the right is perfect because they are in tune with one another. Just look at the way they linked up during the 2-0 win at the Stadium of Light. Liverpool's form dropped away badly last year when Xabi broke his ankle but if he steers clear of injury this time around, he will be a hugely important player in the second half of the campaign."
    Yes, no doubting they are great players, but you have to play a holding player (hamman/sissoko) otherwise you will get murdered.

The midfield you suggested of simao, xabi, gerrard and gonzalez would not work since there is no holidng player.

ReputationRep:
    Do you need a holding player though?

ReputationRep:
    Lol fair enough. But he's still learning. I'm an admirer of his aggression though, when I say aggression, I don't mean attempted murder like Essien.
    pffttt girls they should scrap rules in football or is that my love of the aggressive nature of sport talking

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.