Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    Arjan De Zeuww (Wigan)

Solid rock and commander in defence

ReputationRep:
    I've got my ticket for burton V manure - cost £25 to stand. I'd have payed anything to see the biggest game in our history and to see ronaldo taken out the cheating, diving overrated wimp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)

He was obviously pretty pissed off. Had just seen his team push a Brazilian team into scrappy defense and not much going forward. It was just a frustrating match in general. Feel sorry for the guy. A stupid press conference was probably the last thing he needed, just wanting to get back to Spain to be with his mother after the funeral. He hardly makes a habit out of it though, and certainly doesn't name, shame and claim they were working for the opposition.
    Exactly, he doesn't call the opposition cheats. Doesn't refuse to shake a opposing manager's hand. Doesn't accuse others of being voyeurs. Doesn't ban reporters from his press conferences. Or pull interviews from tv shows. Or accuse the opposition of being bullies. Or whinge endlessly about a goal that "came from the sky". Doesn't inform his team to rough up the opposition. Doesn't criticise other teams tactics. Doesn't throw childish tantrums. If any manager in the Premiership deserves to be called a gentleman, it's Benitez. He'd had a rough time with the recent death of his father, and not being able to be with his family, considering the events of the game, i think his comments were rather restrained.

(Sits patiently for a list of Benitez's previous misdemeanours to be posted )

(Original post by jamlan)
    Exactly, he doesn't call the opposition cheats. Doesn't refuse to shake a opposing manager's hand. Doesn't accuse others of being voyeurs. Doesn't ban reporters from his press conferences. Or pull interviews from tv shows. Or accuse the opposition of being bullies. Or whinge endlessly about a goal that "came from the sky". Doesn't inform his team to rough up the opposition. Doesn't criticise other teams tactics. Doesn't throw childish tantrums. If any manager in the Premiership deserves to be called a gentleman, it's Benitez. He'd had a rough time with the recent death of his father, and not being able to be with his family, considering the events of the game, i think his comments were rather restrained.

(Sits patiently for a list of Benitez's previous misdemeanours to be posted )
    "I'm the special one"! We're pretty biased but yeh, I wouldnt take any manager in the world over Benitez. Best thing that's happened to this club since King Kenny.

ReputationRep:
    football is so aggravating when u dont win

ReputationRep:
    "I'm the special one"! We're pretty biased but yeh, I wouldnt take any manager in the world over Benitez. Best thing that's happened to this club since King Kenny.
    Rick Parry
    'I wouldn't swap Rafa for any manager in the world. If I had to go back and make the appointment again, I know there couldn't be anyone better.

'I really believe he's going to lead this club back to greatness, I really do.'
    Not that he's biased or anything :p:

Rick Parry
    'I wouldn't swap Rafa for any manager in the world. If I had to go back and make the appointment again, I know there couldn't be anyone better.

'I really believe he's going to lead this club back to greatness, I really do.'
    Not that he's biased or anything :p:
    Wasn't that Moores? Know Parry's been on his perch for ages about Rafa. So he should be! :proud:

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't that Moores? Know Parry's been on his perch for ages about Rafa. So he should be! :proud:
    Apologies! That was Moores, but as you say, Parry would agree, so would i!!!

ReputationRep:
    are there any sites which have an archive of past football games?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    And he's not the only manager to act wrongly. Wenger, Ferguson, Benitez, Hughes. Next please. If I wanted a gentleman's game football isn't the one.
    A bit of banter but when has one of these refused to shake hands? It's idiots like Mourinho which make the game non-gentlemanly!

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, what has Benitez done?
    Not much but apparently he was outraged with some refereeing and Sao Paulo's playing tactics in the final of the World Club championship.

--------------

(Original post by Economist)
    A bit of banter but when has one of these refused to shake hands? It's idiots like Mourinho which make the game non-gentlemanly!
    You don't get this banter milarky in international rugby from managers so why football? Some banter can be worse than a handshake to be fair.

--------------

He hardly makes a habit out of it though, and certainly doesn't name, shame and claim they were working for the opposition.
    Damn right. It's just not his way of doing things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Arsenal should have been 1-nil up, and then the story could have been a lot more different.
    And Argentina might have beaten England in the 'friendly' had it not been for the incorrect decision from the linesman to rule Hernan Crespo offside.

Let's see in the Arsenal game the only thing you had going is hitting the post and having a goal ruled offside which wasn't. In the first 15 minutes you entered the Chelsea half only twice lasting mere seconds and Joe Cole could have put the visitors in front within the first minute. Then good ol' Senderos was more of an offender than a defender committing a foul on Arjen Robben and Didier Drogba both on the last man rule. Robben should have scored way before when he did as it was. By which time, you would be down to 10 men and doomed from near the beginning with your back three being more exposed by being a man down. If the refereeing was 100% perfect, Arsenal were more likely to have lost by than they did. You're worse than Tottenham!

How people feel Arsenal were hard done is beyond me. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ^ It should be worth it!

I love the fa cup but can't get excited when we play a lower league team and when we are doing so well in the league.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    You don't get this banter milarky in international rugby from managers so why football? Some banter can be worse than a handshake to be fair..
    You dont get this banter in international football either....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    No Maurinho would still support him because of the **** he is. Walking off without shaking hands. He slates Wenger but in reality he is really an arrogant child.
    I have to disagree there I think Jose will have had words with Eissien about his 'style' of play. As for the Wenger incident, those two will argue and spat against each other all the time. They have a different relationship to Jose and Fergie.

ReputationRep:
    TBF he did get nominated the second best player in the world by FIFA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)
    The thing which annoys me is that if someone like Andy Todd, Lucas Neill or Robbie Savage does something like that, the media are rying out for his head and saying how he should never be allowed to play professional football again. But because Essien plays for Chelsea that doesnt happen... maybe its because there are so many Chelsea fans, if they publish things like that, they will lose lots of custom?
    It's because Andy Todd, Lucas Neill or Robbie Savage are all ****.

Sad but true. After the terrible tackle in the Bolton game, he was outstanding 4 days later againts Betis and all was forget....until the Hamman tackle that is.

(Original post by Cindy)
    TBF he did get nominated the second best player in the world by FIFA.
    For last season, so no complaints there.

ReputationRep:
    He's played well for two seasons straight. Let's cut him some slack; i'd rather he has a dip in form now, than during the world cup.

ReputationRep:
    woo! Go Warriors! (T&T)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.