Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Mandaric hasn't exactly 'made a mess' of Portsmouth FC. When he arrived we were on the brink of liquidation. Now we're in the premiership, we're getting a new stadium and we're actually in the black (in the last year we made a £3 million profit).

I'd hardly call that chain of events making a mess.
    To be fair I said "after building it up" He has made a mess of of their league position with the whole Redknapp debacle though after 'arry was well on the way to establishing Pompey as a premiership outfit. He did a fantastic job at Pompey initially but to me, and remember I'm looking in from out and you'll know more about him than me, he just looks like another one of a long line of premiership chairmen who can't stop meddling. Certianly wouldn't like him as my chairman anyway.

Uh huh, and how would he get this return? By doing good for the club. If he comes in and doesn't help Pompey out he won't get anything back, so I doubt he's come here with no intention of giving us a bit of his money.

If we go down it'll be interesting to see what happens.... would the guy be willing to put lots of money in a lower league club?

In the long-term, there is a lot to be sorted out. Infrastructure, stadium, training ground.... but all we need urgently is to stay up, and that can be done with a quick fix (and lots of money). Hopefully Harry can get the players we need, and for once he can't moan about not having money. But it's an unusual situation for him... maybe he won't be as good when he has lots of money.
    Of course he'll put his own money in but my point is that he's just come out of nowhere and owns half of the club. And how many 50/50 partnerships have worked out? It's all very dodgy and from my perspective, if something like that happened at Anfield I'd be very very concerned. Maybe flirting with relegation changes the whole view of things.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed Andy Gray's penalty at Highbury in the fa cup.
    Winning at Watford after being 2-0 down was rather good especially as the winner was an own goal by an ex Leeds player.

But personally the 4-0 win at Helland Road was rather sweet. Over 10 years of p1ss taking from Leeds fans and to go to their ground for the first time in years and not just beat them, but thrash them was good. The so called revenge clash after beating them twice in the cup recently and beating them at home in the league last season before the game at Helland Road.
    Couldn't see a thing all game but winning from the first few minutes until the last meant for once I didn't care. Only time I've been happy to be kept behind at a ground too!

Gem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    To be fair I said "after building it up" He has made a mess of of their league position with the whole Redknapp debacle though after 'arry was well on the way to establishing Pompey as a premiership outfit. He did a fantastic job at Pompey initially but to me, and remember I'm looking in from out and you'll know more about him than me, he just looks like another one of a long line of premiership chairmen who can't stop meddling. Certianly wouldn't like him as my chairman anyway.
    I know you said that, but he still hasn't made a mess of things. It's not like Redknapp was entirely blameless in his departure.

Of course he'll put his own money in but my point is that he's just come out of nowhere and owns half of the club. And how many 50/50 partnerships have worked out? It's all very dodgy and from my perspective, if something like that happened at Anfield I'd be very very concerned. Maybe flirting with relegation changes the whole view of things.
    Does it make a difference that nobody has heard of him before? Had anybody heard of Abramovich before? (well, I hadn't)

Maybe if I was a Liverpool fan I'd be more concerned cos they're in a pretty decent position at the moment, and have pretty money already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kb500)
    Although you refer to him rather insultingly Reyes was fantastic tonight, I thought everyone seemed really up for it, very commited performance. Is Sol not the English type of player we need, definitely a winner as is Ashley when he returns, I agree we could do with one more though. Jaskalinen would be a good relatively cheap signing as well allowing us to get rid of Almunia.
    I like Reyes, he plays his heart out. Only problem with him is that he goes down rather easily. Sol is the type of player but for some reason he doesnt show it. His form has been hit and miss this season, far to inconsistent and is perhaps too much a nice guy to fill the role of lifting the spirits of other players and making them play whole heartedly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Can't believe someone neg repped for this :rolleyes:

Because J. Cole or P. Robinson are clearly world class players who would contend for a spot in a world 11...
    It wasn't be who neg repped you, but Paul Robinson is one of the best keepers in the Premiership and he's still young for a keeper and could go onto become one of the best in the world.

Joe Cole is probably the most naturally gifted English player since Gazza, his only real problem was that he used to be more interested in showing off his skills than playing football. Over the last couple of seasons though he's got this under control and is looking a very good player indeed.

I wouldn't expect either player to make the world XI now, but we're still talking about two of the best players in the Premiership, both with huge potential.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting a new 5 aside team in jan at uni and i need a good name. Preferably comical but not something like Norfolk N Chance as that has been used countless times. Can anyone suggest something decent? thanks in advance.

*Note: I won't actually give rep for this even though i'd like to because, as it's been pointed out before, mine would be fairly useless. still i think it's bit rude for other people to say that but there you go, especially when i'm trying to be friendly and appreciative....

oh yeah, so if you could think of any funny names to tell me that'd be great.

ReputationRep:
    Two Hats
    The Bar Stewards
    The Don Kiddicks
    Fook 'n' Nackard
    The Team Formally Known as Fook 'n' Nackard
    Inter Yemam

ReputationRep:
    cheers. more would be great though. then i can narrow it down to the best few.

... or even 'girlhood' heroes?

Either way, who were your (footballing) idols when you were a kiddo? Y'know. The one whose face was stuck all over your bedroom wall, the one who you dreamt of meeting, the one you cried about when they left the club?

I did eventually forgive him... :o

Fook the spelling... (Ciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnndd ddyyyy... :p: )

ReputationRep:
    Tony Adams and Ian Wright. Legends

ReputationRep:
    Does it make a difference that nobody has heard of him before?
    [Why] Does it not concern you? That was my original question really

ReputationRep:
    Andy Townsend
    Ian Taylor
    Dwight Yorke (before he went to the Mancs)
    now (as im still a young boy )
    Lee Hendrie

ReputationRep:
    First of all. Don't sign any attacking midfielders. You must already have 10 at the club? Arsene should stop being so stubborn, stop dreaming and realise that you can't win all football games with 'sexy football.'

I would sign a central defender who can play right back. Perhaps Gallas? There were rumours he would leave Chelsea earlier in the season.

A defensive midfielder. Someone who can pass the ball too would be nice. Its ironic that Wenger chose not to sign Carrick two years ago, he would be frigging ideal. He wouldn't be available though so perhaps Papa Bouba Diop of Fulham would be available. Maybe De Rossi of Roma.

Thirdly, a plan B striker. Someone who can head the ball. **** Kuyt would be a great signing.

A keeper would also be a priority but I think that can wait until the summer.

ReputationRep:
    theres one to do with fifa about fantasy stock trading in teams but i dont think there are any as of yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    I'm not convinced. He won't take the whole club for a while, anyway. Milan still likes it here, and all the appreciation he gets from the fans every home game.
    As long as the buyer invests in the Club and team and the quality of the game does not suffer, does it matter who buys a club?.

ReputationRep:
    John Wayne.
    Not particularly good at football. Horse riding was more his thing?.

ReputationRep:
    Brian Deane when I was about 5 or 6 but later on it was Michael Brown. Was gutted when he left in 2003 on Xmas eve to go to Spurs.

Gem

(Original post by Old Green Man)
    As long as the buyer invests in the Club and team and the quality of the game does not suffer, does it matter who buys a club?.

Yes... there's something called the culture, the fans, the tradition...

ReputationRep:
    Hey just saw this thread. Being a die hard Leeds fan... I would say the chances are statistically speaking 1 in 8 or 1 in 9

How did I come to this conclusion, well I'm no mathematician but the chances of catching Sheff Utd in 2nd place are extremely slim as they are 11 points clear and we still have to go to Bramall Lane (Easter Monday!!)

The chances of making the playoffs are much much better but are not certain by any means as there are a whole host of clubs in and around. Put us in a play off situation I think nerves will get to us and we will choke. Palace have been there and done it, as have Preston. Watford have also been there, and they will feel less pressure than us. Norwich, Cardiff, Stoke, Southampton - could be in there also.

I'd love to be there next season, I dunno if my frail heart could take the play offs as I run the gamut of emotions on a week by week match by match basis. We can pray and hope and that's what makes the game the best game in the world.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.