Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    yep i do remember it very well. Don't think he even played a game in the KO stage - thats how useful he was to France.

If you think South Africa and Saudi Arabia were the big games for France, then you are deluded.
    i was thinking of ronaldo... the dude who panicked so much he went into convulsions before the final because brazil forced him to play with a slightly gammy ankle and he was awful.

edit: i could have sworn somebody compared henry to ronaldo in terms of best strikers earlier on... thats what i was referring to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by md_red_uk)
    How do any footballing awards work then?

Coaches and players vote on who they believe to be the best. It's about impact upon a game, any player on the field can change a game and in this respect you can compare them.
    I interpret awards to be for the most valuable player which I guess does involve their impact upon a game. But it is much easier for a midfielder to have an impact on the game or even an attacker for that matter since goals and assists will always be valued more than a clean sheet which im not sure is right.

ReputationRep:
    On current form i think that Ronaldinho is the better footballer, but some of the things Henry can do is unbelievable.

Admittedly I am better than both.

ReputationRep:
    hahahh in ur dreams

ReputationRep:
    What a shoddy performance by Fulham!

ReputationRep:
    I think Man U HAVE TO, considering their showing this season. It will be scant consolation, but we do need it.

ReputationRep:
    Dear oh dear. Our old man looked lost in a vile green sea. Celtic could have proper been humbled if it wasn't for their ill luck.

ReputationRep:
    If Rovers beat us I will show my arse outside Old Trafford until a photographer appears and captures it. We have to beat them, we have better kids in our squad *cough* Burton game *cough* :rolleyes:,and we have to get our revenge from when they beat us at Old Trafford. Plus we need a cup. A must-win for us.

ReputationRep:
    bumped for the last time dudes.

ReputationRep:
    Clyde had 2 goals chopped off (one was fine) and they missed a penalty.

The Clyde players were even on bigger bonus to draw than to win :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Glad there are more people getting behind Soccer AM. Hopefully will catch more of it this week as my alarm didnt go off last week so missed all but last 15 minutes !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    i was thinking of ronaldo... the dude who panicked so much he went into convulsions before the final because brazil forced him to play with a slightly gammy ankle and he was awful.

edit: i could have sworn somebody compared henry to ronaldo in terms of best strikers earlier on... thats what i was referring to.
    Yeh but he redeemed himself in the 2002 final.

--------------

(Original post by Raindance)
    He performed where it mattered, as you say. Lampard rarely features as he should in the big games, yet he's still an accomplished player to me. That's all irrelevent though. I wasn't thinking too straight last night. It all comes down to appreciation of what he does and can do. No, Henry's not the best in the world, but you can't deny that he's something special and a main feature of our domestic league.
    Well lampard did score against france and portugal - englands biggest games in euro 04. Played a huge hand in Chelsea defeating Bayern in the QF of the CL last season.

I agree with your statement about Henry. Some people do think he is the best in the world though.

(Original post by ba_ba1)
    Yeh but he redeemed himself in the 2002 final.

--------------

Well lampard did score against france and portugal - englands biggest games in euro 04. Played a huge hand in Chelsea defeating Bayern in the QF of the CL last season.

I agree with your statement about Henry. Some people do think he is the best in the world though.
    Hardly set the world alight though did he? Popping up and scoring is great and all, but there's more to playing in the pocket than that. Especially when there are two service starved strikers in front of you to knock up to! He's barely featured in the majority of games vs. us, and was absent against Barcelona. But Lampard's not under discussion, it's Henry. Given Ronnie's recent World & European footballing awards, this thread should be a bit of a non-event.

ReputationRep:
    Manu - Rovers gonna be good un... a good mate of mine at uni supports rovers.. think man u gonna win this one..alot more in this than the burton game.

ReputationRep:
    Definately Ronaldinho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Hardly set the world alight though did he? Popping up and scoring is great and all, but there's more to playing in the pocket than that. Especially when there are two service starved strikers in front of you to knock up to! He's barely featured in the majority of games vs. us, and was absent against Barcelona. But Lampard's not under discussion, it's Henry. Given Ronnie's recent World & European footballing awards, this thread should be a bit of a non-event.
    Nope he didnt set the world alight. I never said Lampard was fantastic or the best player in the world, but he has performed in big games.

ReputationRep:
    Boring Arsenal v Man U final.

Tonight:
    Wigan 1 Arsenal 1

Gem

ReputationRep:
    come on people... this would be great! how many people so far?

ReputationRep:
    Reading fans to us (this season) "you're not famous any more... you're not famous any more.."

Don;t worry Reading and the world - we will be back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srathmore)
    There is an upcoming tournament in London, and I thought I would try and make a team off TSR. Obviously we will have one training session before the tournament, so I can pick the most able people, but everyone is welcome to come down and watch. I will find a venue for the training session, and book it when i have a guaranteed 16 player team (need 5 subs)

If you put your name down, you MUST be free on the 15th February, and be able to get down to London. THe tournament is being played at one of Arsenals training grounds.

Any suggestions for our team name would also be welcome, and if you want me to get shirts printed with our logo, just ask.

Thanks everyone.
    Hey could you maybe put a list of the confirmed players and their positions? Just as like a progress indicator

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.