Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    It's about what he does with the football team in Germany - that's all that matters. The NOTW can carry on with these stories but I am in agreement with above posters, and fully support Sven.

ReputationRep:
    Henry didn't play in the world cup semi final or final in wc1998, so i wouldn't say he was influential there. As for the european championships 2000, france may have won it, but like wc98, zidane masterminded it.

Not to take anything away from the guy now, he was outstanding yesterday. just think its a bit inaccurate that to say cos he was in the french squads which won those things that he was instrumental in them doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    The fee for this guy is a bit high isn't it? Five goals in 22 appearances I hear. Not even a regular in a Championship side too.
    hmmm, if i didnt know better, i'd think you were jealous of Arsenal. Oh, wait... :rolleyes:

what do you expect from a 16 year old? 30 goals a season? To play week in, week out?

Also, how well-known was Wayne Rooney when he was 16? or even 18 for that matter? virtually unknown.

ReputationRep:
    What more could he do if he did take England all the way to winning the World Cup? He may as well resign while he's on a high..

ReputationRep:
    If we look at Spain and Italy for example, they both have strong leagues and good international teams, yet neither have won a major trophy in recent international tournaments.

Spain and Italy have restrictions upon buying players from outside of the EU. In Spain you are allowed only three "foreign" players (outside of the EU) registered in your squad. The Italian league stipulates that each club may buy one "foreign" player a season, but can have as many as they like in the squad (i believe this to be correct.)

Essentially, the question is, does this benefit the repsective international teams?

I would argue it hasn't; as i have said, neither have won anything for quite a period of time, although Italy did get to the final of Euro 2000, i would say both teams are underachievers.

Now, take Greece, a very small percentage of their international team actually plays in Greece. Rather, they play all over Europe because the European leagues although them to. This meant that the players were able to gain experience in foreign leagues and improve as players, benefitting their national team, which wouldn't have happened if there was some ruling against this. Ultimately, i believe this to be a key reason behind their victory at Euro 2004.

In the Premiership, the number of foreigners is limited only by their ability to gain a work-permit. There are many foreigners, yet there are many Englishmen plying their trade and this has led, perhaps, to the strongest England squad for a number of decades, with a realistic chance of victory in the upcoming 2006.

Frankly, i do not believe that we can impose restrictions when the European Union and multi-culturalism are attempting to impose themselves in the modern world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reloaded)
    was Henry not influential in France's WC98 win and France's EC2000 win? and France's Confederations cup win in 2003?
    Remember: Henry is originally a midfielder, and still has all the qualities of one.
    Confedearations Cup - because thats a tournament that everyone cares about. Get real - confed cup is a mickey mouse tournament. Like the guy above me says, Henry was not that influential in the euro 2000. Henry was hardly a midfielder in his monaco days - he was a winger/forward. Henrys international record is nothing to get excited about (you would expect more the way peopel rave on about him so much) and players like Vieri, Batistuta and Ronaldo have been far better for their countries - and they did it accross 2 WC's meaning it was no fluke. If you think Henry deserves a place, then someone like Totti would also merit a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    Henrys international record is nothing to get excited about (you would expect more the way peopel rave on about him so much)
    internationals aside, Henry has proved himself as one of the world's best goalscorers and goal-creators consistently. it's all on paper aswell.

(Original post by ba_ba1)
    and players like Vieri, Batistuta and Ronaldo have been far better for their countries - and they did it accross 2 WC's meaning it was no fluke. If you think Henry deserves a place, then someone like Totti would also merit a place.
    Vieri? what excactly has he done in WCs?
    as for Totti, he doesn't even come close to having the all-round qualities of Henry. nor the goalscring record.

if it is goalscoring at international AND club level you're after, then perhaps you should include players such as Hakan Sukur and Davor Suker, who have incredible records at both levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starsurfer)
    If you give me a location and time I may be interested. Although I may be too young to play. I am a goalie ( I didnt say I was good mind you, I just said I am a goalie)
    I dont know how old the other guys are but Im only 19...

have we got any new players guys? we're gonna need to build the team quick if its gonna happen...

ReputationRep:
    I feel we need more English players in the league. As an Arsenal fan it upsets me when the other team is chanting "come on England". More English players would increase the competition for places and I feel increase ability or even discover ability. Perhaps within Italy and Spain the restrictions are aiding the national team, however they are just not too strong. Perhaps England is not having these benefits but is still very strong. Perhaps adding these benefits would push us further and enhance the team. And I also feel that this is not the case for teams such as Greece currently as the Greek league is not the best place to nurture ability and therefore they seek better places within the worlds best footballing leagues. We must also consider here the lack of English players outside of the Premiership in comparison to other top teams such as France.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murkery)
    Czechs were easily one of the best sides at Euro 2004.. I think they played some very "special" football. Nedved's still one of the best players in the world in my opinion.. he may be 32 but that really doesn't bother me - the lad could play until he's 40.
    Yes they were good in Euro 04. But things have changed since then - namely the key players are out of form, having injury problems or past their best.

[QUOTE]Poborsky has over 100 caps, you need players like that in your team full stop. He's also playing better football this year that he has for the last 2 or 3 seasons.[QUOTE]

A winger is not the best player to have one of your more experienced players. They help in defense, but not much on the wing since their legs are gone. IMHO, Poborksly was playing better football in the lead up to Euro 2004.

Concerning Koller and Baros, you say "Magically come together" - Well if the other 111 games and 66 goals are anything to go by then I have no reason believe why it shouldnt "come together". It came together throughtout qualifying, and it came together in Euro 2004 - The World Cup will be no different. It's hardly like they've never played with each other. Baros is playing well at the moment aswell - dunno where your getting the idea he's off form from. Scored 3 in his Last 4 games.
    Other teams have players who are scoring bucketloads of goals in their respective leagues - the Czechs do not have this. Take italy, they have gila and toni who are 3rd and 1st top scorers in serie A. France have Henry and Trezegeut who are first and second in their respective leagues etc.

Nedved will easily last the whole tournament, he's a proffesional footballer for christ sakes, its not like he cant play 7 games over the period of a month. If a player can't last out a world cup i'd be very worried about them. He's got one of the best engines in football, he never gives up. You saw at Euro 2004 against Greece, his knee was ruined and he was still trying to play on.
    Batisitua didnt last a whole game in WC 02. Maldini faded in WC 02 as the tournament went on. Considering who prone to injuries Nedved is, i wouldn't bet against him picking one up in the WC.

[QUOTE]You mention those Italy, Brazil, Agrentina examples, but the fact is the 2nd choice side still isnt as strong and the team would still be effected. Czechs have adequate replacements eg. They lose Baros, Galasek and Nedved they replace them with Lokvenc, Polak and Smicer - the reserves all play in top european leagues, but the fact is they're still not as good as the starting players - I don't quite understand the point your trying to make. It not so much how "good" the substitutes are, its about the effect that losing your best players or your captain has on a teams belief and morale - no matter how "good" your subs are it is always going to hit you hard.[QUOTE]

Yes the 2nd choice isnt as good as the first - thats why they are second choice. Did you expect the second choice players to be better than the first or something? Lokvenc, Polac and Smicer are not in the same class as say Aimar, Cambiasso and Messi. The point i'm trying to make is that the Czechs second string arent as good as those of Italy, Argentina etc. The second string players will have a major part to play in the WC. If Argentina lost Riqueleme, yes it would be a blow, but Aimar or Veron are both WC players and can come in and do an equally good job. Same goes for italy - they lose totti, but still have cassano or del piero who will do an equally good job.

You watched the game in Prague? well that in itself should be proof enough that the Czechs arent past it - They played very nice football that day, without Koller, Nedved etc. What did you think about Stajner's offside goal? and the fact Baros was getting mauled in the penalty box every time? Honestly that day, who played better, Holland or the Czech Republic?
    At the highest level - taking your chances are everything. Its all well and good playing prety football, but if they don't produce the results then thats not very good. Staijners goal was just offside. Baros goes down very easily.

The fact of the matter is is that if you haven't seen the Czech Republic's qualifying matches how on earth can you say they are past it - Just from looking at a couple of results and seeing the odd game. Again I ask you, how many of there qualifiers did you see in full? And also, going to games allows you to see alot more than just a TV screen in my opinion. And I'd be very surprised if anyone agreed with you if you think that someone who goes to the games doesnt see as much as someone who watches the odd game on telly.
    Ive seen highlights of about half of their qualifying matches on TV so stop making stupid assumptions. I think thats enough for me to pass judgement. Be fair, you dont expect me to go to Czech rep games when i dont support them - i dont have money to burn.

Easy Group.. hahah.. lets compare the groups ey:

Czech Rep - Holland, Romania, Finland, Andorra, Armenia and Macedonia
    Italy - Norway (you youself said they are a "very poor side"), Scotland, Slovenia, Belarus and Moldova.

Now if you asked anyone which group was harder I think the Czech's would easily be the hardest every time. Even if you take out Holland, the group is probably still harder. Romania and Finland are arguably both better than any of the teams in Italy's group. Czech Republics group was definately, one of, if not the hardest out of all the qualifying groups. They got the best team in Pot 2 in the Netherlands, and the best team in Pot 3 in Romania, and debatably the best team in Pot 4 in Finland. How you think that is an easy group is beyond me.

Italy's performances were impressive towards the end?? I mean I'll take your word for it as i didnt see the games, but apart from a 4-1 win vs the almighty Belarus - Italy's last few competitive matches have been a 0-0 draw with Norway, a 1-1 draw with Scotland, a 1-0 win over Slovenia and a 2-1 win over Moldova. Both of those wins took 78th and 85th minute winners respectively - hardly looks like dazzling form on paper.
    Czechs should have had second place easily yet they struggled to it. The fact they couldnt even compete for top spot with Holland says something. What makes you think Finland or Romania are so good. Romania's days are gone - last time they qualified for anything was euro 2000. Finland have always been poor. The other 3 teams were an absolute joke. Italy had an easy group aswell (and i never claimed it was easier), but at least they won the group convicingly. I'd say Greece's group was definately the hardest.

You didnt watch the italy matches so how can you comment? Just looking at the scores were you? Isn't that what you (wrongly) claimed i did? A win is a win - who cares when they were scored - italy did enough for the win and dominated the matches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stale88)
    'esx77' I take it your not a real football fan, just an armchair fan who supports one of the big 4, because any true supporter, particularly from divisions 1, 2 and 3 will tell you that the league cup is as important as the fa cup, especially if their team has a good run in it. It is an essential money maker. Shame on you!
    divisions 1,2 and 3 do not exist anymore - they are now called the championship, league one and two!!! I take it your not a real follower of football yourself!

ReputationRep:
    I think it is quite appalling the amount of foreign players in the premiership.
    PLayers like Henry, Zola, Cantona and them foreign greats who brightened up the league were not a problem, the problem is when semi average players were being brought over from abroad such as Cygan, Traore etc. Considering the popularity of football nationwide I am sure there were young talented players denied a break through due to managers looking abroad for players instead of developing young local talent.

I reckon it would also make the game more passionate and special if fans were watching local players representing their local club on the pitch. Take Gerrard at Liverpool for example.

ReputationRep:
    If England don't make it to the semi finals at least then there is no way in the world I would renew his contract. He is on a very generous salary and perks and has been given alot of time so he has to deliver the nation a real good run at the world cup.

ReputationRep:
    what a week for gunners eh? walcott will most definitely be huge...
    just as that vela player we bought a while back who'll be comin down when hes 18 i think.. other buys are good... esp. the centre mid... diaby
    7-0? thats outrageous.. NO other team can score like that in england
    chelsea would score 2 and close down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esx77)
    I think it is quite appalling the amount of foreign players in the premiership.
    PLayers like Henry, Zola, Cantona and them foreign greats who brightened up the league were not a problem, the problem is when semi average players were being brought over from abroad such as Cygan, Traore etc. Considering the popularity of football nationwide I am sure there were young talented players denied a break through due to managers looking abroad for players instead of developing young local talent.
    I reckon it would also make the game more passionate and special if fans were watching local players representing their local club on the pitch. Take Gerrard at Liverpool for example.
    agree. young english players should have a chance for these places... nothing better than a bit of english grit in defence!

ReputationRep:
    never squeeze into boots small for you. i did and foot was ****ed for two weeks after.. also had a key hole surgery to remove broken cartilage three years ago but that might of been from breakin...

ReputationRep:
    I never had any injuries, apart from a slight cut on my head, when a girl blaze the ball on my forehead during training. I always play very carefully, 'cause if you try and win every ball, you bound to get in hospital or get beaten up by your opponent. I am like 139 pounds at 5'7.5, so i don't have any muscules!

The key to not having any injuries, is playing like a wimp, if your like scott parker, going for every ball, you gonna me injuried more often then say pires or henry, who never try and win a header and never go full blooded for the ball

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guest1984)
    I never had any injuries, apart from a slight cut on my head, when a girl blaze the ball on my forehead during training. I always play very carefully, 'cause if you try and win every ball, you bound to get in hospital or get beaten up by your opponent. I am like 139 pounds at 5'7.5, so i don't have any muscules!

The key to not having any injuries, is playing like a wimp, if your like scott parker, going for every ball, you gonna me injuried more often then say pires or henry, who never try and win a header and never go full blooded for the ball
    dunno if your being serious or not! but surely thats what pires and henry need to improve on! youv got to go for every ball... passions what its all about!

ReputationRep:
    Dont you think managers would get english players if they could easily in these positions, its just a case of having a wider pick as the worlds a big place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SideView)
    dunno if your being serious or not! but surely thats what pires and henry need to improve on! youv got to go for every ball... passions what its all about!
    lol, being serious mate, 'cause they are so good, they don't need to do the dirty work. If passion gets you in hospital, then dunno if thats a good thing!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.