Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    But then.. i though man united had got the eaisest group possible to!

(Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    But then.. i though man united had got the eaisest group possible to!
    We say that, but both Villarreal & Benfica can play a bit. Yes though, the scum should have topped that group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    We say that, but both Villarreal & Benfica can play a bit. Yes though, the scum should have topped that group.
    I aint takin nothing away from for two reasons..
    A) i dont want it to come back and bite me in the ass come the game on tue.
    B) any team that can beat the 'best team on merseyside' has got to be good
    Man u should of topped that group though

ReputationRep:
    Maybe i am naive but who is the bison?

Essien?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you could choose him. I personally rate Scott Parker and think he can be our defensive cover. I don't follow England as closely as other people on here do though. Then again, if Heskey got recalled the squad because of his form at Birmingham then Darren Bent should have done for his form at Charlton but it never happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)

Essien?
    Correct, i prefer the nickname.. clueless brutal thug who gets away with murder is highly over rated and i hope he snapes his ligaments

ReputationRep:

Essien?
    Yep. It's his nickname.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, as logn as he have that clueless swede in charge, we wont have any changes to the squad.

ReputationRep:
    ******* mate, people shouldnt use injuries as an exscuse i didnt see rafa blame them once during last season when we had a terrible premership form. Wengers tactics this season have been poor, he has no back up plan and no bite in midfield. The midfield is to afraid to fight for the ball.Performance wise this year, arsenal are deservedly stuck in 5th spot.
    (Original post by Rainy)
    Firstly, don't start going off on one about injuries; it's a fact of football. There was hardly a player in our team that wasn't out for reasonable lengths last season, and we still made one cup final and won the other. Wenger's been in charge for how long now, 10 years? There's little excuse for blaming it on the squad if he's had a decade to build.
    Er I dont remember using injuries as an excuse. Ive hardly brought it up when commenting on our season. The question was rank the top four in terms of who is best. A fully fit Arsenal team is ahead of Liverpool and probably Man Utd imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jusfarhan)
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Spurs

Chelsea just edging it over us because they have more money.
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    I know. Shame really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    Well I think any group involving the two of us was going to be hard, but it was really because Real Betis are actually a quality side - better than Rangers & PSV imo - and Anderlecht aren't exactly bad. I also remember looking at A & F and wincing. Those two groups were over before they started.
    Indeed. When I was working before I moved for university my colleague at the time, who supports Arsenal, was mocking the fact that Chelsea only beaten Anderlecht 1-0. What he probably doesn't realise is that Anderlecht do have European pedigree (ask Villa fans) and look what happens, Arsenal only edge out a bunch of part-timers twice by a solitary goal. :rolleyes:

A hard group for us could benefit us to be honest. I believe that helped England win the Rugby World Cup in 2003 and see no reason why it can't happen for us. Real Betis have to be a quality side, they beat Barcelona.

I guess the other hard group is one with Milan and PSV, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I agree. You know, Rafa and Jose are similar in a way if you say that they're both turning a team of underachievers into what they should be winning. I've always felt Liverpool and my club (amongst others - Villa, Newcastle etc) are underachievers for some time. Both managers more or less inherited a lot of decent players and took it from there. Liverpool-Chelsea duopoly it is then. :p:

Yeah they have done a remarkable job considering their budgets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Er I dont remember using injuries as an excuse. Ive hardly brought it up when commenting on our season. The question was rank the top four in terms of who is best. A fully fit Arsenal team is ahead of Liverpool and probably Man Utd imo.
    No, your wings at the momment are in perfect working order but they aint doing much. They have got no bite, and ambition to win just going through paces. id take kewell and gerrard over your pires/freddie l partnership. Your defence is usually a strong one when fit, but id take my liverpool defence over it aswell. Reina is a better keeper then crazy jens infact.. being honest the only area i see you stronger is upfront, which i always rate half the premership as stronger. Our midfield pairing is one of the strongest going

ReputationRep:
    I dont know what they had pre season, but i heard they had about 7 million to spend in January but didnt.... If they need money then Dave Whelan is able to dig around in his pocket and find it.
    Hmmm I don't pay much attention to the guy and what he says. He tries to act so self-righteous regarding salary caps for footballers and his company has been investigated for price fixing. Love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I agree. You know, Rafa and Jose are similar in a way if you say that they're both turning a team of underachievers into what they should be winning. I've always felt Liverpool and my club (amongst others - Villa, Newcastle etc) are underachievers for some time. Both managers more or less inherited a lot of decent players and took it from there. Liverpool-Chelsea duopoly it is then. :p:
    I have to agree for one of the first times with you here. What Rafa has done with liverpool is taken a decent squad, with absolutely no squad depth and turned us into a feared unit that has a fearsome bench aswell. for example..
    The houiller bench..
    kirkland,biscan,diao,heskey,smic er
    Rafa bench..
    Dudek,Hamman,Cisse,Garcia,Kromka mp
    You have to be an idea to know what rafahas done here is truley special. i only have one problem with his tactics and that is.. rotation.. the squad is now big enough for him to acheive it yes. But winning comes with consistency, and consistency means the same XI. The winning trot of 11 came when we started basically the same 9 ever game, the only changes were the 2nd striker (not crouch) and the left back.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. We have agreed before you know. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    No, your wings at the momment are in perfect working order but they aint doing much. They have got no bite, and ambition to win just going through paces. id take kewell and gerrard over your pires/freddie l partnership. Your defence is usually a strong one when fit, but id take my liverpool defence over it aswell. Reina is a better keeper then crazy jens infact.. being honest the only area i see you stronger is upfront, which i always rate half the premership as stronger. Our midfield pairing is one of the strongest going
    As a partnership I probably would take Gerrard and Kewell but individually I would have Ljunberg and Pires over Kewell. They have been restricted due to Gilberto's performances but they are definately past their best. Tough decision between Alonso and Fabregas. Jens has easily been the best keeper this year, superior to Reina but he always has been its just his temprement which has really let him down in the past. Do you even have an attack?

ReputationRep:
    Alonso over Fabregas for me. Kewell over Pires (mainly because Pires' age). As for goalkeepers errrr neither.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot Reyes. Easily better than Kewell.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.