Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedDragon)
    I am dissapointed about the fans who were taking the p**s out Alan Smith I mean he plays for Manchester United and all but when Cisse got injured we didn't take kindly to Blackburn fans taunting him so why should we do it to him.It a very low thing to do
    Oh for gods sake, ive had enough of this already. It was a great show of scouse wit and spontanuity to come up with the song like that. No one in the kop or anywere in anfield for that matter knew how serrious the injury was. I joined in when the song was sung, and i thought it was great. What about the 40,000 scousers clapping him off the pitch, was that a very low thing to do? get over the moral high horse please, suppose your part of the.. dont sing shipman songs to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    I wasn't there, but by all accounts people started chanting it, but then realised the extent of his injury when he started being treated for shock and surrounded by players with worried looks of both teams. Remember, sitting in the ground you don't get the of panning, zoomed in cameras of someone sitting at home. The fact that he was applauded off (yes, accompanied with some boos), and that the manager made a point of giving him his respects and wishes, says more than idle chanting.
    I echo this, i was there in the kop when the chant started and i joined in thinking it was a great laugh. Ask ourself know.. do you think any liverpool player would be clapped off the pitch at the theatre of no dreams? Highly unlikely. People just like to take any exscuse to have a pop at liverpool fans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    Well kpg, calders, whoever, can argue their points as well, probably better than I do.

Whatever we may say about Gerard Houllier, he was great for the club. He made us believe again, bringing trophies that hadn't been around since King Kenny couldn't take any more following Hillsborough. Look at Melwood. And although he spent £100m, many of the players on the team sheet these days are still his players. Le Tallec & FSP were his babies, Hyypia was his stalwart, and under him players like Riise, Didi, Jamie, St Michael (and Gerrard, of course) progressed into what they are today. In many ways he brought the club kicking and screaming into the new millenium, and we were chanting his name right until the heart op and some time after.

Rafa, of course, has his own system. We both know what that is, but it's worth mentioning that in many ways we're emanating his Valencia, and he's getting his players accordingly. I can certainly remember watching his team ruthlessly take us apart, and it's what we aspire to surpass. We will. It's worth noting, btw, that the welsh midget had made his mind up pre-Rafa, and wasn't going to take his eyes off becoming an El Geriatricos. As for our kitty, we made a £7m profit this year. Sensible management is key, and we have no plans to run our finances into the ground.
    Houiller brought us as far as he could, i respect the guy and he made some fantastic signings for us, but for everyone sami hyypia there was a salif dia (but that happens everywere i suppose). I think anyone who says that houiller took the club backwards is talking excessively out of their ass. The fella won us the uefa cup (although certain people would surely prefer it called the mickey mouse of europe). I only had a few quirks with houillers regime. Firstly.. he suffocated all improvements to melwood, he had a stubborn attitude and really set back our youth policy. I cant think of a single player that came through the youth team(apart from gerrard, even then he was basically forced to). My second point with him, is his defensive approach to games was so boring. I dont no if anyone will agree but id prefer to see my liverpool play entertaining football rather than effective (note there is a large difference in the two, look at arsenal and chelsea respectively)
    Rafa.. i honestly think we got the best tactical manager in the footballing world when he came last season. Was a tremendious coup by parry to get him. i heard a story about him of when he lost a game of stragetico or somethnig, so he sat down and learnt the rules book until was undefeatable. Rafa has taken over from houiller, and took us further on. It is important that only 3 of the players in the champions league final (cisse, garcia and alonso) were bought by rafa. So theoretically (spelling) houiller had the team that would be caple of winning the champions league. Okay we all know how important garcias goals in the knockout stage were, and alonsos passin ability definetly helped us win but still 8/11 of the players that finished were with houiller. What rafa has done is taken the bunch of under acheivers and the over paid and made them work. Tactically he is a spot on manager who can get the best out of his players. Biscan v leverkusen? and the whole team vs juve and chelsea. Itll be an intresting few years with rafa at the helm, and im confident he can win us the much awaited league title. But the on going problem in football now adays is houillers 100 million spending spree has cost us dearly. This is evitable when rafa has to back out of a deal over a couple of million euros. im sure the war chest rafa has is large enough, as parry n moore are always good for the money but he is far to cautious. My only problem with his regime is the rotational policy. i believe in sticking your best XI on the pitch first, win the game and then rest. Not rest players, lose the game.. send players on and try and win it back.
    Lastly, im glad to see were finnaly breaking free of the medias obsession with one man liverpool. The days were gerrard single handedly carried liverpool are over (although he is pivotal to our success) and i wait to enjoy another summer of will he, wont he
    One more thing before i go though, i really dont think the fact we missed out on owen si that much of a problem. You cannot possibly buy back a player for double what you sold him only 10 months ago, dignity is required but of course, dignity dosnt put the ball in the back of the net. A forward is vital come the summer so we can firmly challenge chelsea at the top. i believe if we had our striker now, wed be within points of chelsea. OF corse.. owens injured anyway.. so hed be no good. and hell be back after the world cup

ReputationRep:
    i don't know whether to class it as decline or a temporary dip in form. i don't think they'll get worse than they are, so to speak, but those average teams in the premiership can now play them with some sort of hope and confidence of getting at least a point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jusfarhan)
    Because he's

- gay
    - an idiot
    - a p***k
    - an *******
    - plays for scum
    - an idiot
    - an *******
    - and lasty, because he's an idiot.
    You hate him because "he's gay" what are you like seven years old or something?

ReputationRep:
    since veira has gone the teams fighting spirit has been thrown out of the window. if henry goes they will decline but i think wenger needs to bring in someone of veira's calibre, u cant lose such a great player and not replace him. if wenger can bring in someone who can do the job veira did then this season would be seen as just a dip in form for them.

and i am looking forward to the real madrid game.

COME ON ARSENAL!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i shall tell you why liverpool fans hate him so much because he has won many medals over the time of his career and yes he doesnt like scousers so that provokes them. What he has achieved with United no liverpool player has achieved in the modern game. There all jealous. END OF STORY. and about them winning wot a **** referee that was. he was blind as he missed many yellow cards to most fouling liverpool players who coudnt deal with ronald, neville, and rooney.

ReputationRep:
    They are in transition, it is imporant for them to cling onto champions league qualification as it will seriously help them the long run. Maybe selling henry will benefit in the long run,but with his contract out next year how much would they get? Selling henry could do what selling rooney did to everton, helop the team ethic as to be fair hes no captain. being a captain is meant to inspire players like it does gerrard, he just floats around and claps people for their efforts.
    As soon as their young players mature, and get some experience under there belt with no injuries arsenal will be back i assure you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blazing_bandicoot)
    i shall tell you why liverpool fans hate him so much because he has won many medals over the time of his career and yes he doesnt like scousers so that provokes them. What he has achieved with United no liverpool player has achieved in the modern game. There all jealous. END OF STORY. and about them winning wot a **** referee that was. he was blind as he missed many yellow cards to most fouling liverpool players who coudnt deal with ronald, neville, and rooney.
    Dear me, you really think we hate him because hes successful? what a load of tosh that is im afraid. I hate him because he's a scouser hating, inbred manc who openly says he doesnt like scousers.
    As for the match.. please dont start about the referee. We had two penalty shouts turned down, one freekick which happened inside the area and ronaldo went down faster than a whore in a brothel. Stop being bitter and accept tides are changing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Dear me, you really think we hate him because hes successful? what a load of tosh that is im afraid. I hate him because he's a scouser hating (1), inbred manc (2) who openly says he doesnt like scousers.
    As for the match.. please dont start about the referee. We had two penalty shouts turned down (3), one freekick which happened inside the area (4) and ronaldo went down (5) faster than a whore in a brothel. Stop being bitter and accept tides are changing
    (1) You hate because he hates you, that is mature.

(2) I'm not sure of the accuracy of your claims as to whether he really is "inbred"

(3) I would say you had one penalty claim ignored. Again, this is subjective, even for the referee.

(4) See above.

(5) I'd agree Ronaldo often uses gravity to his advantage, but do not forget young scouser that your team is not adverse to the foreign influences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by md_red_uk)
    (1) You hate because he hates you, that is mature.
    Yes. That's how football works. It's tribalistic (is that a word?), it's us v them. Whether it's a mancunian (well, bury) or not, if someone sticks their fingers up at us, we do the same to them. It happens up and down the country every saturday afternoon.

As for the earlier point about jealousy, comical really.

"When I was growing up there was certainly a large amount of jealousy involved," Neville once confessed. "The truth is, I envied them for all the success their team was having."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Yes. That's how football works. It's tribalistic (is that a word?), it's us v them. Whether it's a mancunian (well, bury) or not, if someone sticks their fingers up at us, we do the same to them. It happens up and down the country every saturday afternoon.
    Indeed, i am aware it does. Yet, let us be frank, its a farcical hypocrisy; the minute Rooney scores for England the nation - made up of supporters of many clubs, including Liverpool - will be up in arms celebrating, the same would happen if Gerrard/Carragher etc. scored.

ReputationRep:
    St James' - I love it

Nah, the best I have been to is Nou Camp as a lot of you have already said. It's unbelievable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Arsenal? im sorry but what evidence is there that arsenal are second best? Seriously.. 10 points behind third and liverpool played them off the pitch in their last game. I cant possibly find any reason why you can put them third. Heart over heard? As for man unitd..Last two games weve matched them and deserved a result in both, we got our just deserts today. Top 4 this season..
    Chelsea (spit)
    Liverpool
    Man u
    Arsenal
    As many people have said before, "the table doesn't lie" so therefore Man United should be 2nd, Liverpool 3rd and Tottenham 4th.

However, if we are going to say the top four teams are as Economist said, then either we rank them by: our humble opinion on the quality of the squad; the respective results against each other, in a small league or finally, we make the bold statement that performances are more important than results and rank them by the quality of their performances.

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoy stairs and an appauling view then St James Park is excellent value for money as an away fan.

ReputationRep:
    Hillsborough when you've won 2-1.

Don't really have a favourite as I don't like the new stadiums. My favourite of the new stadiums would be the Reebok.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    (5) I'd agree Ronaldo often uses gravity to his advantage, but do not forget young scouser that your team is not adverse to the foreign influences.
    Our team has its lightweights yes, garcia gets an honourable mention, but he goes down easily because hes a fag not because hes a deceitefull little ****
    Indeed, i am aware it does. Yet, let us be frank, its a farcical hypocrisy; the minute Rooney scores for England the nation - made up of supporters of many clubs, including Liverpool - will be up in arms celebrating, the same would happen if Gerrard/Carragher etc. scored.
    I would celebrate an england goal, not a rooney goal. Thats the difference

As for bein immature for hating him for hating us, isnt that wat its all about? We hate man united, they hate us. Its just the Scousers vs Mancs hatred that happens all the time. It wouldnt be the same if everyone got on, therd be no rivalrys.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, i dont like many of the new ones, they are all too plastic - either 1 o 2 tiers all the same and it just doesnt work for me...

I much prefer grounds like Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, Craven Cottage, Ewood Park, Goodison park...

They all have individual character which separates them from other stadiums....

Windsor Park! Oh, the atmosphere.

ReputationRep:
    i think selling henry is a good idea since they are cashing in on him while they can. He is 29 and only has 2 or 3 good seasons left in him so it would make sense to sell him now. Milan will do a similar thing with Shevchenko and sell him to Chelsea.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.