The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

kpg
No they wont. £12-15m tops, probably closer to 12m. By June, he will be 6 months away from leaving on a free - Michael owen situation all over again. Arsenal have a stadium and squad to rebuild, the money they get from an Henry transfer will be very little in comparison if they don't reach the CL.

Thats what i was thinking. With only a year left the fee is going to be extremly miminal.
Sulmaan_865
Why do they hate him?

It's a little bit more than "hate". Consider the Neville chant sung by Man United fans:
Gary Neville is a red, is a red, is a red.
Gary Neville is a red; he hates scousers.

The Liverpudlian reposte substitutes "is a red" for something rhyming with "nags his mum" and "he hates scousers" for something rhyming with "pup the sitter".

Inventive. But what will Jill Neville make of it all...

10pm.campnou.26may1999!
NDGAARONDI
And is supposed to be a non-contact sport.

Football is a contact sport but many players can't take the physicality - perhaps they should be playing netball.
Reply 7263
It is difficult to find a replacement for Viera, but I think you could have done better than Flamini :rolleyes:

And what is it with Wenger always buying foreign players - even youth players?
I will be offline for I dont know how long. I had a breakin and haven't a computer at present. I am posting this from work. Please use the report function and behave yourselves. I will get to predictions asap when I am back online.
NDGAARONDI
But CL qualification is vital to help pay for the new stadium!

the new stadium will help generate an extra £30m per year. so after 10 years, we should be able to rival teams such as Man Utd and Barca an the transfer market. It is a long term investment, but all great teams have bad seasons and then come back even stronger (eg Liverpool, Barcelona, Juventus)
Reply 7266
It has to be PAARRDUUE!:p:

With Hughes and Jewell just behind.
Reply 7267
LH
It is difficult to find a replacement for Viera, but I think you could have done better than Flamini :rolleyes:

The top managers buy the players to suit the system, not necessarily configure system to suit the players. Arsenal have a limited budget; the english players Wenger seeks are generally way out of his price range. They were after SWP, but were they ever going to meet the £21m ending bid? I think not. English players are ridiculously overpriced, and only the richest can afford the inflated rates (namely Chelsea and Manchester United). You only need to see Walcott going for up to £12m as confirmation. An argument could be made for not giving academy players a fair crack, buying abroad instead. At the end of the day, I can't really comment on the emphasis (thus resources) the club puts on the academy.
Reply 7268
kpg
Yup, which is why I dont really 'support' England. I could never fathom supporting a team containing Rooney, Nevilles etc. It just wouldn't happen. I was beaming with pride though when England beat Germany 5-1, why? All liverpool goalscorers.

Didi scored the last ever goal at (the old) Wembley, don't forget! :wink:
Alright I except people didn't know the full extent of his injurys so they can be forgiven for chanting.
Reply 7270
ciderpeter
White Hart Lane - good atmosphere and good view
White Hart what? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/4729454.stm
I hope they don't do that
Sorry to hear about that. Stupid burglars if they took a desktop. Had that in my home town with the liubrary, they took the monitors which weren't worth much considering their weight and size.
LH

Because english talent in this country have rediculous hiked up prices, making it impossible for arsenal to meet budgets.
Reply 7273
Another example of disgraceful journalism with an agenda. The amount of (unimformed) coverage regarding the chant does my head in; forgetting the 40,000 ovation and the response of both players and manager. They must be sourcing from Red Issue, is all I can think of.
Rainy
Another example of disgraceful journalism with an agenda. The amount of (unimformed) coverage regarding the chant does my head in; forgetting the 40,000 ovation and the response of both players and manager. They must be sourcing from Red Issue, is all I can think of.

When have we ever had any favours of the press. I dont care what gets wrote in the papers about us anymore, some of it is just absurd. The national coverage of the song is amazing, what about coverage of the hillsborough chants, the tea bar they smashed up, or the toilets they set on fire, even the old people they trampled charging the gates. I dont expect any scousers to recieve any favours of the press, and im not to fazed that we dont either.
Reply 7275
Nou camp was something special - a 100,00 capacity and even the reserve held about 35,000, i think. There was a great atmosphere about the place which was almost intimidating.

I also thought the atmosphere at Old Trafford was electric but I hate Man U so Nou Camp is better.
Reply 7276
Sven will take talents like Joe Cole and Rooney but fading stars like Beckham.

What about players like Barton and Nolan, don't they deserve a place too after what they've achieved this season?

It's time Sven looked past the big 3 so that we have a team, not a collection of big names.

Who would you pick? :yy:
Reply 7277
when rasiak was at derby, he was the dogs. maybe being amongst all the egos at spurs knocked his confidence but he is a great player. Mido's so arrogant it would surprise me if he tried to put rasiak down to keep his place.

Spurs bring it on themselves anyway cos they buy so much. At Derby, we can't afford to buy and have lost our two best players to you in rasiak and huddlestone: two proven players who got us to the playoffs last season. at spurs they remain unappreciated.
I dont think people realise the difference between Premiership strikers and championship strikers... Shefki Kuqi is another example, he is decent against your West Brom's/Fulhams etc but against anyone bigger than that he is essentially a big lump... Rasiak is the same... Last season kuqi scored 20 something goals, this season he is struggling - i think the difference in leagues is massive.
Reply 7279
Well, the centre of the pitch is very congested. Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Parker, King, Neville, Barton, Nolan, Hargreaves, and I've probably missed others. Losing Smith probably makes things easier, but for a CM to make the squad, let alone the team, is an achievement.

I would take, on current form:

GK: Robinson, Kirkland, James
DEF: G Neville, Terry, Carra, Rio, A Cole, King, Young
MD: Becks, Gerrard, Lampard, J Cole, SWP, Carrick, Parker, Barton
ST: Rooney, Owen, Crouch, Bent

I'd toss that last place between Defoe & P Neville. I'd probably take the Ugly Twin, if only because he's experienced and can play in a number of positions. I suppose Richardson's in for a shout too, as is Sol should he be fit (and in form).

Latest