The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8160
Do you mean the UEFA Cup or the Euro Championships? Which would be Anelka. Because I'm struggling with the UEFA bit...
Reply 8161
UEFA CUP not EURO championship
Reply 8162
Didi Hamann
He's a great young player, improving all the time at Liverpool and I'm sure he'll recover as soon as possible and be back fighting for every ball in midfield.

He was actually in the dressing room at half time being treated but we had a lot to talk about and so weren't able to do much except tell him to keep his chin up. It was arriving at the airport knowing that we were leaving somebody behind when it struck us how bad the injury must be.

We went over there with a full squad and we wanted to leave with a full squad. That's how it is here. We win, lose and draw as a team and we fight as a team. You never like leaving anybody behind.

He has everyone's support at the club and we are all thinking about him and hoping he makes a full recovery.

Top bloke.

Source
Refused
Steven Gerrard?! Give me a break. We know exactly the talent of Gerrard, he should've been dropped out of the team, with K.Nolan coming into the scene.

Agree, players whose ability we have no doubts about, and world cup place we have no doubts about should not play these stupid midweek pointless friendies. Surely players who are doubtful for the squad should be givena chance to shine and fill the spare places.
Reply 8164
LFC_Girl
Agree, players whose ability we have no doubts about, and world cup place we have no doubts about should not play these stupid midweek pointless friendies. Surely players who are doubtful for the squad should be givena chance to shine and fill the spare places.

not at all. England need to play as a team, and the only way that will happen is by playing more matches together. Therefore first teamers should play if available.
ba_ba1
not at all. England need to play as a team, and the only way that will happen is by playing more matches together. Therefore first teamers should play if available.

I understand your point but I don't really care for England much. I am club over country and I am more concerned that Gerrard will be playing yet another game which might put him in doubt for our match. Same for Carra and Crouchy.
Reply 8166
LFC_Girl
I understand your point but I don't really care for England much. I am club over country and I am more concerned that Gerrard will be playing yet another game which might put him in doubt for our match. Same for Carra and Crouchy.

no offence but injuries are part of football, and nowadays, squad rotation is also part of football. If Gerrard has been playing too many games this season then that is Benitez's problem, and perhaps shows Liverpools squad strength is poor and Benitez should rotate a bit more.
Reply 8167
Club over country, every time. We don't want Gerrard playing this game because he's not 100%. If the manager has concerns, we have concerns. And if he picks up a knock tonight then we'll be muchly annoyed, especially with the games we have coming up.
ba_ba1
no offence but injuries are part of football, and nowadays, squad rotation is also part of football. If Gerrard has been playing too many games this season then that is Benitez's problem, and perhaps shows Liverpools squad strength is poor and Benitez should rotate a bit more.

I wouldn't say our squad strength is weak especially not in centre mid. Gerrard has had rest's and we have played other players but we have just lost one to an eye injury and one this weekend to a head injury. Rotation happens in football but would you really drop your captain and one of the best players unless you had to?
Reply 8169
Well, our CM options:

Alonso: Head?
Sissoko: Eye
Gerrard: Foot?
Hamann: Fine
Zenden: Cruciate knee
Garcia: Fine

Although Garcia can't be played in the centre of a flat 4 anyway, our depth in that area is fine. We don't need little niggles though, or putting our players in unecessary situations. If Gerrard hadn't taken a knock last match, we wouldn't mind so much.
Reply 8170
Is it Kanu? he won the CL with Ajax, UEFA cup with Inter, EPL and FA cup with Arsenal.
Reply 8171
LFC_Girl
I wouldn't say our squad strength is weak especially not in centre mid. Gerrard has had rest's and we have played other players but we have just lost one to an eye injury and one this weekend to a head injury. Rotation happens in football but would you really drop your captain and one of the best players unless you had to?

i see your point, but gerrard plays on the right for you, and in all honesty liverpool dont have any replacement right wingers (maybe Garcia??) so that is probably why Gerrard is played alot.
Reply 8172
ba_ba1
i see your point, but gerrard plays on the right for you, and in all honesty liverpool dont have any replacement right wingers (maybe Garcia??) so that is probably why Gerrard is played alot.

He's been playing on the right because we're weak on the right. We've always known that; Rafa's always known that. Why do you think he's been searching out wingers? The point it, we don't have the money to splash out £12m on a £7m player, who might not even have the right attitude.
ba_ba1

We do need a new RW and we are looking for one. Garcia has been injured so Gerrard was pushed over as we have enough cover in the middle with Alonso and Sissoko/Hamman. Steve Finnan can also RW as can Jan Kromkamp (who did at the weekend) so we do have cover Rafa just prefers to have Stevie there so we have a rock solid midfield. :smile:
Another legend gone this year. I'll always remember him. Rest in peace mate.
Bastard.

You beat me to it.
tbh, i can't see spurs getting 4th - the games we have coming up are really tough. Our last four fixtures are (in no particular order) W Ham (a), Arsenal(a), Man Utd (h) and Bolton(h):eek: . Before that, we have to negotiate our past Blackeye Rovers on Sunday (only joking ciderpeter!).
What??? A Spurs fan who doesnt think champions league is a cert???

My brother is giving it all the "if we beat blackburn on sunday it is pretty much guaranteed"... it really annoys me the way Spurs think they are such a massive club - yet have no recent trophies to show for it! Yes they have fans and money, but i would rather have trophies!

I would quite happily chop my penis off if it could be made that Blackburn beat Spurs on sunday and nick the champions league place off them. :biggrin: :redface: (well maybe lol)
Man U players being booed - disgraceful! They are representing the English national side!

Latest