Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

Poll: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano) (4)
7.69%
Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels) (5)
9.62%
Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley) (5)
9.62%
Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio) (2)
3.85%
Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera) (4)
7.69%
Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller) (2)
3.85%
Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C) (3)
5.77%
Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi) (3)
5.77%
P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink) (2)
3.85%
Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic) (0)
0%
Juventus 1996(under Lippi) (4)
7.69%
Ajax 1995(under Van gaal) (4)
7.69%
Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque) (6)
11.54%
Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld) (3)
5.77%
Porto 2004(under Mourinho) (4)
7.69%
Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld) (1)
1.92%
This discussion is closed.
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by walshie)
Peter Crouch, I really hope is a last resort for England. He's not exactly inspiring. I don't think, wow, Peter Crouch is coming on, whereas Defoe had that impact with me. He can really do something.

Joe Cole man of the match, without a doubt.

Jermain Jenas - biggest load of toss ever. the most overated player to exist IMO. Harsh, but true.
Defoe was useless
Rainy
Badges: 2
Report 12 years ago
Another trial for England, where Gerrard needed to play to integrate with the players more. We already have the problem with Lampard verses Gerrard. Gerrard needed to start to gain further experience with the squad, especially as Lampard must be fearing more burnout than Gerrard will ever be!
Do you know what you're talking about? Gerrard was playing for England years before Lampard broke through, in terms of integration. As for burnout, I thought Lampard was supposed to be Mr. Fit & Consistant? Unless, in fact, he is fearing burnout having played considerably less games thus far.
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
First goal: asssisted by a Chelsea player, scored by a Liverpool player. Second goal: assisted by a Chelsea player, scored by a Chelsea player. :cool:
Thanks for that
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nice to see Ron Greenword (sp) and Peter Osgood getting their minute silence before the England game.
Well 40 seconds to be precise.....

RIP
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
First goal: asssisted by a Chelsea player, scored by a Liverpool player. Second goal: assisted by a Chelsea player, scored by a Chelsea player. :cool:
I couldn't give two tosses who scores them and sets them up, as long as England win!

I wish some fans could get it - England before Club. Not club before country. We want to win this world cup, and it should be treated as though the whole of England are pulling together to try and acheive just that. Peter Crouch can go and score a hatrick; I'll be celebrating chanting his name for giving England his all and he may even begin to change my opinion of him.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rainy)
Do you know what you're talking about? Gerrard was playing for England years before Lampard broke through, in terms of integration. As for burnout, I thought Lampard was supposed to be Mr. Fit & Consistant? Unless, in fact, he is fearing burnout having played considerably less games thus far.
I love you're tone of replies :rolleyes:

How about, how long has Shaun Wright Phillips been on scene, and how many minutes of match playing has Gerrard had with him? HOw about Joe Cole even? So yes, Gerrard does need to play!
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I couldn't give two tosses who scores them and sets them up, as long as England win!

I wish some fans could get it - England before Club. Not club before country. We want to win this world cup, and it should be treated as though the whole of England are pulling together to try and acheive just that. Peter Crouch can go and score a hatrick; I'll be celebrating chanting his name for giving England his all and he may even begin to change my opinion of him.
I agree
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I wish some fans could get it - England before Club. Not club before country.
Tell those damn Scousers that. But they don't support England so much because England have not won 16 European Championships and 5 World Cups, so they have no history.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Tell those damn Scousers that. But they don't support England so much because England have not won 16 European Championships and 5 World Cups, so they have no history.
:laugh: Quality . . . .
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No they will rob your house if you insult them
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ciderpeter)
I would quite happily chop my penis off
No more blowjobs then. :rolleyes: You sure you're happy doing that?! :eek:
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well I guess I should know better. The kettle on my floor in university residence did go walkies.
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
This doesn't have much to do with the match, but I love Ian Wright!!!
His reaction after the match on his foster son was brilliant-funny but so sweet! Ever the proud father!
Jimmocrates
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is Jenas the new Hargreaves: ends up in the squad+gets a game but no-one really knows why?
Joe Cole was excellent, i thought Bent was great too. he caused them a lot of problems and ran his socks off.
Everyone else played alright, none others worthy of a special mention though i don't think.

On the Neville issue; he blatantly doesn't like liverpool, got sent off at everton for kicking a ball at a fan and didn't refute claims in a paper that he said a wall should be built around liverpool so they can't get out. If i were in their shoes, i wouldn't forgive and forget the actions of such a complete idiot.
Higgy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What a boring match, no wonder im going off football these days, england were pants apart from the goals, yawn
legriff
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
The Bernabeu. Worth it for the trophy room alone.
MrsMerton
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Joe Cole definately deserves Man of The Match as he was constantly setting up goal chances and just generally is a fantastic midfielder, his 93rd minute goal was the icing on the cake and I'm so happy for him that he finally got an England goal.

Wright-Phillips was cool, calm and collected to and was fantastic ont he right-hand side of the pitch and Peter Crouch did well to get that header too.

For most of the game I was worrying we were going to lose against a bunch of hot-headed south-americans but in the end we came through, I thought this match had tonnes of energy compared to other games that have dragged, I really really enjoyed it!

Yay!

But wasn't that Uruguay goal amazing? Got to hand it to him, it was a complete fluke and it stunned me when it went in, but all I could think was 'wow' - he was over 30yards away and just vollyed it... it didn't look like it was going in! It was superb.
Trent Cobbler
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We thoroughly deserved the victory tonight. Uruguay had 2 chances from which they scored a beaut from one (nice to see Anfield applaud the goal) and Robinson made his only save of the match for the other. I thought that they gave us a good test and was quite impressed with their number 7, Varela.

We knocked the ball around superbly in stages if not a little too comfortably and from the off Joe Cole was excellent.

I was also happy to see Peter Crouch score (a player I have always rated) and also SWP giving us all hope that his lack of participation for Chelsea this summer hasn't affected his form in World Cup year.

Fingers crossed that we see Lampard, Ashley Cole and Michael Owen figuring in the next match against Hungary and we take our full strength squad to the WC because we will take some beating with our best XI.

My only concern is we lack a bit of bite in Midfield.

Gerrard provides some (He didn't half look tired this evening) but as good as technical players that Jenas, Carrick, Owen Hargreaves etc. are they all lack a certain bite in the tackle and if I was the England manager I would definately take one of Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan or Scott Parker to the World Cup..... a trio who have been in fine form in the Premiership and could be a wildcard selection.
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I didnt think we played great to be honest. Lacked creativity going forward. Apart from Cole no one was really was a threat.
DontBuyTheSun
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
18 European championships
Right, im not going to bother quoting you, because everyone knows who you are. Care to explain to me how crouch was crap today? Or.. even better. How hes been crap in any england game during his career. He grabs a goal, and causes lots of problems for that defence. But oh yes, defoe caused just sooooo much terror in eyes of the defence. Please, stop going along with the boring press that love to bash the irregular. Crouch had a good, solid game and make yet another amazing difference to a game against south american opponents. He offers us something different.
Club V Country. My club every time. The rets of England find liverpool as some acceptable butt of jokes. ( yes spot the typical depressing scouser) So i have no plans to put england first. Yes, ill be chuffed if we win it (which we wont) but not as chuffed as a liverpool league title..which is more likely (next season). Also, i watch my club play every week were as england games come either duing the middle of a hetic schedule for football or other annoying times.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1236)
79.59%
Leave (317)
20.41%

Watched Threads