Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parisian Scot)
    Scotland's yellow away kit. As sickening as the performances!
    Scotland 1 - 1 Italy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Scotland 1 - 1 Italy.
    Do I really need to remind you of some of there past results? Faore Isles is just one of them
    And yeah - that Hull kit is just truly the winner of the most awful kit ever made.

I do have to mention Lincoln being in there a couple of times though

And the Arsenal Maroon kit is nice looking, just not nice quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    Do I really need to remind you of some of there past results? Faore Isles is just one of them
    Oh I am aware of their awful history. Scotland have always been crud but have had many important individuals in the game over the years.

(Original post by James_000)
    Spot on with the new formation.
    What can I say? Finally my footballing genius has been recognised?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Wrong. It was a typical 4-5-1 goal. Collect the ball from deep, let the wingers fly and get the ball in the box for an attacker. Job done. I have no problems with Beckham being the water carrier - he may be no Makalele, but he makes up for tackling and strength with vision and positioning. My problems, now that I've seen the game, is that we packed the midfield so much there was no room for Gerrard or Lampard to work. SWP & Cole kept drifting in, Rooney kept coming in deep, so neither of our two CMs had any space to do what they do (not that Lampard does much anyway!). We might as well stick with the formation, but I'd want to make it more of a 4-3-3 by including Owen and dropping J Cole. Basically...

--------------Robinson---------
    Young Carragher Ferdinand Cole-
    --------------Beckham---------
    ---------Lampard---Gerrard-----
    ------SWP------------Rooney--
    ----------------Owen----------

Anything but the 4-5-1! The goal was still a lucky deflection in my book and authough I agree beckham has fantastic vision, he is wasted as a "water carrier." Owen would also need lots of ball to feet in that direction as he wouldnt win much in the air against a pair of hefty centre backs.

(Original post by chriswhit)
    Anything but the 4-5-1! The goal was still a lucky deflection in my book and authough I agree beckham has fantastic vision, he is wasted as a "water carrier." Owen would also need lots of ball to feet in that direction as he wouldnt win much in the air against a pair of hefty centre backs.
    What do you suggest we do with Beckham then? Leave him out completely? Let him drift in on from the right which he'll inevitably do when we play him there? It's let him water carry, or drop SWP and sacrifice Gerrard. At least we still get the best out of Beckham here. A 4-5-1 doesn't necessarily constitute lobbing the ball up to the striker, if anything, having Owen on the team will make us play more ball on the floor and generally more positive football. All it means is that he may need to hold the ball up a wee bit more, which he can do, and he's scored plenty with his head in any case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    What do you suggest we do with Beckham then? Leave him out completely? Let him drift in on from the right which he'll inevitably do when we play him there? It's let him water carry, or drop SWP and sacrifice Gerrard. At least we still get the best out of Beckham here. A 4-5-1 doesn't necessarily constitute lobbing the ball up to the striker, if anything, having Owen on the team will make us play more ball on the floor and generally more positive football. All it means is that he may need to hold the ball up a wee bit more, which he can do, and he's scored plenty with his head in any case.

hmm..interestering one with Mr Beckham. When he played for United I think he was at his best on the right yeah. I dont think you can leave him out, because, though he can be enigmatic, he has the ability to turn a game. I think his presence is important as a figurehead to the team, and as posing a threat to the opposition, even if only a psychological one. As for owen and playing more ball on the floor..good! I hate long ball after long ball. Occasionally yeah, but not all the time. Agreed also that Owen can hold it up and hopefully make a nuisance of himself, as his goal to game ratio in an England shirt suggests he can and does on the right form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chriswhit)
    hmm..interestering one with Mr Beckham. When he played for United I think he was at his best on the right yeah. I dont think you can leave him out, because, though he can be enigmatic, he has the ability to turn a game. I think his presence is important as a figurehead to the team, and as posing a threat to the opposition, even if only a psychological one. As for owen and playing more ball on the floor..good! I hate long ball after long ball. Occasionally yeah, but not all the time. Agreed also that Owen can hold it up and hopefully make a nuisance of himself, as his goal to game ratio in an England shirt suggests he can and does on the right form.
    Like you said Beckham should be part of the team regardless of the system, as his presence and ability to control a game makes him worthy of a starting place. And I would say only Owen, Rooney and Ashley Cole are the others who should be definates in the line up. The 4-3-3 system could work well after a few games of adapting to it but I don't see Sven wanting to be that attacking. i personally think it's time for him to go after this World Cup. He has been good for English football but it's just time someone else brought some fresh ideas to a team who are struggling, despite having one of the best groups of players in the world! My pick would be Sam Allardyce.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Dear!

ReputationRep:
    Well done to those of you who mentioned good old saltergate, possibly the most hi-tech modern ground with absoloutely no rust....

ReputationRep:
    Oopss got it wrong lol

ReputationRep:
    Excellent. I'm English and i'm glad they won. We were awful, absolutely bloody awful. Well done Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    yeup... england getting too big headed, should knock them down a few pegs..
    honestly england just need to go back to basics, they have some of the best players in the world!

ReputationRep:
    It's a bloody awful scoreline but plus points can be taken from it, a new manager being the most important one. Who is top of the list at the moment?

As long as we win our next two home games we'll still go through, I still have faith.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by followmearound)
    I still have faith.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Since there isn't a thread on it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i'mm going to have to say Ha! who cares if Beckham plays well in a system that doesn't let anyone else? and Rio was pants.

edit: theres 3 threads...

ReputationRep:
    *hmph*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyncMaster_770)
    Why?
    We have the players.

Every one of them is capable of performing to the standard required to beat the best, they just lack consistency. Consistency is helped largely by motivation, something I believe our current manager lacks the ability to instill.

ReputationRep:
    Have to say that Ireland didn't win because they were playing well...it was due to stupid mistakes by England.
    I agree- get them back to basics. Well done Ireland tho

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.