Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe they lost.

My advice, 4-4-2 all the way

Robinson
    Neville Ferdinand Terry A.Cole
    Beckham Gerrard Lampard Wright-Phillips
    Owen Rooney

Possible replacments:
    Neville out for Young
    Terry out for Campbell (ace when fit)
    Beckham out for Wright-Phillips hence putting J.Cole on the left.
    possibley Downing on the left with Becks/SWP on the right.
    Only replace striker if they play from the start, Defoe/Bent coming on for 25mins is rubbish how can they score if they cant get into the game properly.
    Also, I know its hard to drop Owen or Rooney, but I think if Andy Johnson started a match he would start to score loads.

I don't think Sven G.E. will get the sack despite probable supporter pressure over the next few days.
    At the end of the day he changed formation/tactics when he didn't need to, because of the Denmark game.
    However I wouldnt be surprised if he was sacked, although this would be rather harsh.

As for possible replacments, managers such as Sam Allerdyce, Alan Curbishley, Stuart Pearce, McLaren.

*Hoping England bounce back and win their remaining Group games*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Alan Curbishley and Sam Allardyce, two name two very quickly off the top of my head.
    Hear Hear, Mclaren aswell is a pretty passionate figure. (Trounced by Curbishly in their last head to head tho).

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't Ashley Cole look vulnerable when the ball is played behind him often?

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to feel sorry for Sven

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Moment of the match: Carradonna applying his silky skills!
    Joe Cole's step overs over a dead ball before a freekick aswell! lool

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    So would you if left on yer tod to be responsible for attacking and defending the wing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    At times, but generally hes a top player.
    Who else could possibley step in for him and do a better job.
    I can only think of Wayne Bridge, but hes far from fit, severley lacking match pratice and generally produced average performances for England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Alan Curbishley and Sam Allardyce, two name two very quickly off the top of my head.
    Even bloody Mclaren would do.

When is Sven going to realise that you can't play all the big names. He's trying to accomodate Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, SWP in midfield when there aren't enough places, which means someone has to play out of position (eg Rooney in the first half).
    Playing players out of position makes them pretty much useless.

Then in the 2nd half, he brings off SWP, then manages to put Gerrard on the left - WTF?? If you're going to do that, might as well take him off and bring on Phil ****ing Neville. And then Owen Hargreaves - OMG.
    The second half stunk of disorganisation and there was no shape to the team.
    Awful.

(Original post by mc_watson87)
    Joe Cole's step overs over a dead ball before a freekick aswell! lool
    Lol, any excuse for a show. Didn't see the point of him coming on for SWP. If it was to be him, I'd have taken off Lampard/Gerrard and played 4-4-2. That 4-3-3 at the end was an absolute joke.

And about managers. Big Sam would have us play the most fugly football imaginable. If I wanted long balls and parking the bus in front of goal, I'd become a Chelsea fan. McClaren's already in the set-up and has been for years, we need a fresh start, not someone who looks as if he'll take on Sven's mantle. Curbs, maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Sven has to go: In any other profession, he would be out. He does well when it doesn't count, and, when it does, he cocks-up.

I hope he is severely criticised in the papers. I would personally suggest Sam A. as a potential replacement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    I'm starting to feel sorry for Sven
    I frequently have pangs of sympathy for those paid £5million pounds a year for being incompetent at what they do for a living.

ReputationRep:
    Why play Beckham behind Gerrard?
    Defensivly, Gerrard is far better, stronger and more commading of central area.
    I agree with the above, too many big names causing players to shift out of position, mixed with a crap formation.

Only solution is to leave some of the big names out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarkey_Berlin)
    Sven has to go: In any other profession, he would be out. He does well when it doesn't count, and, when it does, he cocks-up.
    Absolutely spot on. England under Sven are basically the new Scotland. Qualifying for championships regular as clockwork and achieving absolutely nothing when they get there. Better to do a France i.e. fail to qualify (94) and then go on to win the next year (98).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Lol, any excuse for a show. Didn't see the point of him coming on for SWP. If it was to be him, I'd have taken off Lampard/Gerrard and played 4-4-2. That 4-3-3 at the end was an absolute joke.

And about managers. Big Sam would have us play the most fugly football imaginable. If I wanted long balls and parking the bus in front of goal, I'd become a Chelsea fan. McClaren's already in the set-up and has been for years, we need a fresh start, not someone who looks as if he'll take on Sven's mantle. Curbs, maybe.
    Lay off Chelsea for once. At least Big Sam will be able to produce better results than a 1-0 win against Wales and a 1-0 loss to NI. Results are what matters not pretty football.

ReputationRep:
    Shocking. Absolute disgrace. By the end of the night I was cheering on NI, simply because I didn't realise England were on the pitch :-\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    I frequently have pangs of sympathy for those paid £5million pounds a year for being incompetent at what they do for a living.
    So do I actually... it must be really feeling like a failure right now and he knows that being a foreigner, he's going to get even less sympathy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherc2005)
    Defensivly, Gerrard is far better, stronger and more commading of central area.
    True, though Beckham's passing was awesome in that position. The problem was not enough movement upfront (need Lampard/Gerrard surging forward) and Rooney was wasted down the left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    So do I actually... it must be really feeling like a failure right now and he knows that being a foreigner, he's going to get even less sympathy.
    Well he is a failure and as a foreigner he should never have been given the job to start with.

ReputationRep:
    Stop playing Beckham as a holding midfield player. Carrick or Parker will do fine.

(Original post by cherc2005)
    Defensivly, Gerrard is far better, stronger and more commading of central area
    You've never watched a Liverpool game have you. If asked, Gerrard will play in goal ffs. If you're going to constrain him to dogsbody duties, you're robbing the team of the one true match winner from centre-midfield. Give him space and a bit of freedom, and he'll rip any team apart with his teeth.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.