Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

(Original post by DredgeReformist)
    I think we should keep Pires. We need his experience as we are such a young side and he showed tonight he still has something to offer!

Rumours we will be splashing out on a star signing to mark the new stadium but thats never really Wenger's way.

We'll need a new Keeper eventually, although Jens has arguably been player of the season this year. Maybe another CB (will we be replacing Sol?) although Djourou looks promising.
    Pires is probably going to get a treatment similar to the Dutch Master, Dennis Bergkamp... well, if Pires wants to stay.

ReputationRep:
    pires has barely justified a one year contract but he's after a three year one.

ReputationRep:
    still buzzing here in highbury ... that was KL-arse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Pires is probably going to get a treatment similar to the Dutch Master, Dennis Bergkamp... well, if Pires wants to stay.
    Yup, 1 year at a time. For a club like Arsenal thats a perfectly reasonable policy. We haven't got enough money to pay ex-star players for 20 games a season on their previously top of the pile wages.

Pires was excellent tonight. He marked Vieira out of the first half and did so much work helping Gilberto start the attacks.

(Original post by Cindy)
    Some folks do support a lower league team and one in the premiership. Is that so wrong? Think not.
    YES IT IS WRONG!!!! How can you support two teams? Makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gas_panic!)
    YES IT IS WRONG!!!! How can you support two teams? Makes no sense.
    So I can't support Canada in ice hockey as well my own country if I have a dual nationality?

ReputationRep:
    Wow! What a game! Cesc Fabregas was brilliant tonight, and we well deserved the win. I thought that Viera would have played better. I do wish though that he wasn't out of the next game. Would have been nice to see him again.
    Roll on next week. We may be a young side but we're maturing well and are playing for each other again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxBlue)
    For any fan of West Brom, Birmingham or Portsmouth this season is irritatingly close! Every season there is a relegation battle and before now I didn't realise how awful they are to be involved with...
    I hear ya :eek:

Relegation battles usually turn out to be the most interesting aspect at the end of the season.

ReputationRep:
    I follow Liverpool up here cause they're local?
    Wouldn't say it was supporting but I've been to a couple of matches/know how they're doing?

Doesn't detract from my support of the royals??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rafy)
    great game..well done the Arsenal.....looking ahead to the final...Arsenal Vs Barcelona...should be a great game...2 of the best attacking teams in the world.
    great perfomance by Arsenal. Juve "didnt turn up" yet again. I think if Del Piero is back for the second leg they may stand a chance but i still wouldnt fancy them.

lets not get ahead of ourselves - arsenal still have to beat inter milan or villareal (both very underrated teams) if they want to get to the final, and its by no means a forgone conclusion that Barca will get to the final ( a certain AC Milan may stand in the way).

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal were scarily good. I agree with everything said, they were just amazing. Everybody played their socks off apart from Hleb in the first half. We've got to remember as well, this is the team that is strolling to a second successive League Title in one of the top three leagues in the World, and 6th place Arsenal made them look like a bunch of amateurs.

Watching Henry pissing about on the left wing, then just exploding past Vieira and Zebina was absolutely awesome. I had to laugh when I saw it.

Fabregas and toure were absolutely excellent, but Eboue as well was out of this World, and Senderos looked so confident and calm and controlling when the ball came to him or he smelt danger. It's easy to see why they have the best defence in the Champions League. Watching Flamini, you wouldn't know he was a midfielder at all. He was brilliant.

The key now is for them to keep their heads and realise they are playing one of the best teams in the world and that 'it's only half time'. If they really want all the accolades, they'll have to go to Turin and do exactly the same. the good thing is, after watching them play in Madrid, we know they can do it, it'll just be a matter of whether they can keep their heads. Nedved and Del Piero should be back by then and they provide a completely different style of attack to the directness of Trezequet. Still, they'll be without their first choice right winger, their first choice centre midfielder, and perhaps most importantly, their first choice right back. We all know how much Arsenal love that left wing, so if they have to throw a youngster in to that position, Henry and Reyes can run riot.

does anyone know how old Miccoli is? He looked very good against Barcelona, and he's got that soft, skillful touch that Pires has. He could easily come in and take over duties from Pires, if thats what Wenger is looking for.

ReputationRep:
    I won't go as far as saying that Arsenal will win the CL just yet (even though I'll love them to) we just have to wait and see what happens as each game unfolds, it's the best way to be

ReputationRep:
    Even as a Spurs fan, Arsenal did the premiership proud and showed that with passion and organisation anything is possible, everything which Juve lacked last night. On top of that, their lack of discipline will cost them in the 2nd leg. It seems the players had already gave up on the tie when only half of it was played. Poor mentality

Juve had 2 key players missing but they can replace them with quality (and did) but Arsenal had such an inexperienced and young back line but Juve's forwards didn't evem threaten them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxBlue)
    For any fan of West Brom, Birmingham or Portsmouth this season is irritatingly close! Every season there is a relegation battle and before now I didn't realise how awful they are to be involved with...
    you want to talk about Awful? Try conceding a goal in the last few minutes of the last game of the season to your biggest league rivals that gets you relegated to the Championship by 1 flipping point. Thats aweful my friend :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

(Original post by Carl1982)
    I agree it's beeen so boring this season, i been watching more of the championship downwards this season it's been way more exciting, lots more drama.
    Reading had the League wrapped up by Autumn, they are winning by more points than Chelsea, and the battle for 2nd/a promotion spot is much the same as the battle for a Champions League place :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Inter Milan and Villareal should pose no threat to them if they make it past Juventus. I imagine Inter will be a lot sharper than Juventus, but they should be able to handle them, and Villareal struggled against Rangers. If Arsenal were to get Milan in the final, I think I know where my money would be

ReputationRep:
    I was impressed by Arsenal, but, it is important to remember that Juve did play awfully. A good performance by them in the second leg, or by other sides in later rounds, will be alot harder for them to deal with...

ReputationRep:
    I think Juve, and Madrid for that matter, didn't play well because they couldn't handle Arsenal. their attacks were completely nullified, and they were too busy dealing with Arsenal's attacking prowess to mount any major attacks of their own. Obviously they weren't playing their best, because a Juve on form would have forced more saves from Lehmann, but take nothing away from Arsenal because they tore them apart last night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    Arsenal were scarily good. I agree with everything said, they were just amazing. Everybody played their socks off apart from Hleb in the first half. We've got to remember as well, this is the team that is strolling to a second successive League Title in one of the top three leagues in the World, and 6th place Arsenal made them look like a bunch of amateurs.

Watching Henry pissing about on the left wing, then just exploding past Vieira and Zebina was absolutely awesome. I had to laugh when I saw it.

Fabregas and toure were absolutely excellent, but Eboue as well was out of this World, and Senderos looked so confident and calm and controlling when the ball came to him or he smelt danger. It's easy to see why they have the best defence in the Champions League. Watching Flamini, you wouldn't know he was a midfielder at all. He was brilliant.

The key now is for them to keep their heads and realise they are playing one of the best teams in the world and that 'it's only half time'. If they really want all the accolades, they'll have to go to Turin and do exactly the same. the good thing is, after watching them play in Madrid, we know they can do it, it'll just be a matter of whether they can keep their heads. Nedved and Del Piero should be back by then and they provide a completely different style of attack to the directness of Trezequet. Still, they'll be without their first choice right winger, their first choice centre midfielder, and perhaps most importantly, their first choice right back. We all know how much Arsenal love that left wing, so if they have to throw a youngster in to that position, Henry and Reyes can run riot.

does anyone know how old Miccoli is? He looked very good against Barcelona, and he's got that soft, skillful touch that Pires has. He could easily come in and take over duties from Pires, if thats what Wenger is looking for.
    Del Piero is still a major doubt for the return - doctor said he would be out for 10 days yesterday. Zebina hasnt been the first choice RB this season and i was surprised to see him play yesterday. Noramlly Zambrotta is RB with Chiellini at LB. I think missing Camoranesi is a blessing in disguise - he's awful, god knows how he gets in the italian NT.

I thought juve actually did OK in the first half and more or less matched Arsenal. They were starting to get a rhythm going, but then Arsenal scored and it all went down hill from there. I think the fact that Arsenal were much fresher also showed - juve had nothing left in the tank in the second half.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    Inter Milan and Villareal should pose no threat to them if they make it past Juventus. I imagine Inter will be a lot sharper than Juventus, but they should be able to handle them, and Villareal struggled against Rangers. If Arsenal were to get Milan in the final, I think I know where my money would be
    its just ignorant to dismiss Inter or Villareal like that. Judging Villareal on one game is not wise either. I could easily say Arsenal struggled against Blackburn or West Ham, but it doesnt mean Arsenal are pushovers.

ReputationRep:
    Juventus are above Inter in Serie A, Madrid are above Villareal in La Liga, which suggests to me that if Arsenal beat Juve, they should be able to beat Inter or Villareal because they have already beaten teams which are better than them

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.