Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    Barcelona weren't good against Chelsea. They scored 2 goals against 10 men and then a 3rd in the return leg which was played in their own stadium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    arsenal 2nd favourites based on what?
    Er perhaps based on the fact we have just set a new record for the longest time going without conceding in the Champions League beating Milan's record last year. Add to that the fact that Madrid and Juve havnt scored against us, and should we get a result in Turin we knocked out the old 2nd favourites. Not to mention the joint best performance in the group stages.

What do you think you should base it on?

If AC get past Lyon though they will go ahead of us in the betting

ReputationRep:
    they totally outplayed them mate. So what if Chelsea got a player sent off, who's fault is that? I'm sure Barca would beat them with 11 players, if Chelsea had the discipline not to get players sent off all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Er perhaps based on the fact we have just set a new record for the longest time going without conceding in the Champions League beating Milan's record last year. Add to that the fact that Madrid and Juve havnt scored against us, and should we get a result in Turin we knocked out the old 2nd favourites. Not to mention the joint best performance in the group stages.

What do you think you should base it on?

If AC get past Lyon though they will go ahead of us in the betting
    I think it should be:
    Barca
    Milan
    Inter/Arsenal
    Lyon
    Villareal
    Juventus

I think current form (i.e. not form from the group stages of the CL). Milan are hitting form right now after a poor start to he season. Added to the fact that they are better than Arsenal on paper and have the best track record in europe out of any club in the last few years. Arsenal are good and i was very impressed with their recent wins - i cant say i expected them. I do think that experience counts for something at the latter stages of a competition, and thats one thing Arsenal dont have.

ReputationRep:
    Dudes dudes, we're not second favourites to win this thing yet.
    Assuming all goes to plan (we finish the good work at Juve, Barca and Milan get through), then we'll be third...out of 4.

We're not so much the underdogs as Liverpool were last year, but we're not favourites or anything.

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be:
    Barca
    Milan
    Inter/Arsenal
    Lyon
    Villareal
    Juventus
    Well if both Inter and Milan both get into the next round then that might be correct for the top 4. But at this moment Arsenal have by far the best position from the 1st leg with Inter needing to go away from home with an away goal against them and AC needing a result against a very dangerous Lyon side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockelinho)
    Dudes dudes, we're not second favourites to win this thing yet.
    Assuming all goes to plan (we finish the good work at Juve, Barca and Milan get through), then we'll be third...out of 4.

We're not so much the underdogs as Liverpool were last year, but we're not favourites or anything.
    We are second favourites based on the results from the first leg. If Inter and AC qualify and ourselves then our odds will go up again and we wont be second favourites but Inter and AC have got a lot more work to do to qualify than Arsenal. If they dont qualify though our odds will drop so thats why we are currently 2nd favourites

ReputationRep:
    fair enough

ReputationRep:
    this could be our chance to make amends for 2004, where i believe we would have won the CL had we got past Chelsea. We would have beaten Monaco and then Porto in the final.
    This time round, i believe we will play Villarreal in the semi if we get through. We are better than Villarreal and should get to the final, where anything can happen as we saw last year.
    I'm banking on a Barcenal final, if u know what i mean.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...td/4634118.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reloaded)
    this could be our chance to make amends for 2004, where i believe we would have won the CL had we got past Chelsea. We would have beaten Monaco and then Porto in the final.
    This time round, i believe we will play Villarreal in the semi if we get through. We are better than Villarreal and should get to the final, where anything can happen as we saw last year.
    I'm banking on a Barcenal final, if u know what i mean.
    you would've beaten Monaco and Porto? how'd you come to that conclusion?

The villareal and inter tie is still balanced. Either team will give you a good match.

ReputationRep:
    Because they were a better team than Porto and Monaco. The only reason Chelsea lost was because Ranieri tossed about with the subs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jusfarhan)
    Now think it of it without Chelsea..

Who'll be fighting it out to win it?

Who'll be fighting for CL spots and UEFA Cup places.

Much more interesting.
    yes i agree that Chelsea's dominance is the main reason for the lack of EPL excitement this season. Manchester Utd and Arsenal are usually the only two teams that we can rely on for entertainment. But they both have not been at their best. Once again, the climax to the season will focus on the lower end of the table.

oh so because they didnt perform on tuesday means they will never perform well again?
    Well when you look at the reasons they didn't perform it was more the tight pressing not giving them any space, so against Arsenal it probably will happen again...

Am I still the only one who doesn't just expect it to be Milan vs Barca semi, Barca in the final?

Neither of them won their first leg games. I do expect Barca to knock off Benfica at home, but I'm not so sure about Milan, and I'm not so sure about Barca in the semis either, anything can happen in a match or two!

I expect Arsenal to make the finals now, they ought to finish off Juve, and the team we play will probably be Inter, and I back us to get goals down the left wing with Henry if Zanetti likes to attack so often.

Wonder what the odds for Arsenal vs Lyon final, Arsenal winning, first goal Henry is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    Because they were a better team than Porto and Monaco. The only reason Chelsea lost was because Ranieri tossed about with the subs.
    well arsenal were a "better team" than Chelsea, but Chelsea won. Juve are a "better team" than Arsenal but Arsenal won.

THe only reason chelsea lost was because morientes was so bloody awesome that season in the UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Am I still the only one who doesn't just expect it to be Milan vs Barca semi, Barca in the final?

Neither of them won their first leg games. I do expect Barca to knock off Benfica at home, but I'm not so sure about Milan, and I'm not so sure about Barca in the semis either, anything can happen in a match or two!

I expect Arsenal to make the finals now, they ought to finish off Juve, and the team we play will probably be Inter, and I back us to get goals down the left wing with Henry if Zanetti likes to attack so often.

Wonder what the odds for Arsenal vs Lyon final, Arsenal winning, first goal Henry is?
    Zanetti is probably the best RB in the world and has been so consistant over the last 10 years. He's very good defensively aswell. It wont be like playing against Zebina again!

Zanetti is probably the best RB in the world and has been so consistant over the last 10 years. He's very good defensively aswell. It wont be like playing against Zebina again!
    And Henry is that quick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    And Henry is that quick
    i know Henry is quick! If someone can control him, it is Zanetti like he did in Highbury a few years ago.

i know Henry is quick! If someone can control him, it is Zanetti like he did in Highbury a few years ago.
    Things is, Henry is just as quick now as ever... Zanetti is getting on a bit and Henry isn't the only fast moving thing that Arsenal have that can score goals.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.