Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doddy87)
    Fair enough Chi, it's a bit simplistic to say all United fans are rough ( I know i'm not and i'm sure Gem would say she isn't either!) and all Wednesdayites arn't! Wednesdays ground is a 2minute walk away from the biggest council estate in Europe!!!

Anyway, where do you realistically think you will finish this season? I suspect you will finish 3rd. You may be right that Bergkamp and your other players have more skill and vision than Man Utds squad but Man Utd have a hunger that only Chelsea can match. I'd also argue that Clichy, Sendoros, Flamini, Fabragras, Van Persie (is he out yet?) etc despite having the skill don't have the experience and arn't tough enough, compared to the likes of Keane etc.
    And a bit stupid to say it. :rolleyes:

Gem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    Not forgetting that Arsenal beat you twice a few years ago! Alright then once a bit dodgy with that throw on to Kanu and then for was it pires who scored to make it 2-1!

Not satisfied we replayed the game and beat you again! So make that 4 wins
    And thats so bad is it? A team worth hardly anything losing to one of the best teams in England a division higher!? :p:

Gem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doddy87)
    It's bloody Avec!!! They must be the all time worst kit makers EVER!
    Closely followed by 'Patrick!' Althoug the home shirt they made was quite nice i thought!
    I liked the home avec one...material was nice and out of all my shirts it washed the best.

I'd say Patrick was the worst!

Gem

ReputationRep:
    The Pompey away kit is pretty awful... RED and GOLD don't really mix.

ReputationRep:
    Carrow Road (well I support Norwich, so I visit there every 2 weeks or so).

Been to Preston, Palace & Fulham. One away match each season in the last 3.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Rafa Benitez quite clearly shows passion, and so does wenger in some aspects. Never denied that. What I did proclaim is what you have quoted from my previous post. It takes both passion and skill to win it, not just one or the other.

Thats why I think both Terry Venables & Bobby Robson are still right for the England job. Rafa Benitez wouldn't qualify as he is not an English manager otherwise I might of mentioned him.
    But managers need to show they are passionate nowadays in order to get the best out of the team. Its all about heart and skill. Combine the two and you have one good squad.

ReputationRep:
    Poor Sven!
    Poorer Nancy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by che_guevara)
    Poor Sven!
    Poorer Nancy!

Rafa Benitez wouldn't qualify as he is not an English manager otherwise I might of mentioned him.
    Rafa's one of the few managers with the balls and tactical nous to succeed. I can think of barely any english managers who fit this bill. Luckily, he's ours and not England's.

ReputationRep:
    Whats the point in changing to Rafa when we have Sven?
    I would rather Sven that Rafa!
    Rafa would kick Michael Owen out of the team!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Rafa's one of the few managers with the balls and tactical nous to succeed. I can think of barely any english managers who fit this bill. Luckily, he's ours and not England's.
    Nail. Hit. Head.

But it's irrelevent really.

Rafa Benitez quite clearly shows passion
    Does he? All I see is him standing in his technical area barking out instructions in spanglish (spanish english ) waving his arms everywhere and talking to Carra or sitting in his chair writing on paper. Nothing more than Sven. He doesn't celebrate goals, he doesn't jump up and down, he doesn't constantly shout at his players, he shows no signs on the pitch or off it that he's a father figure to the players or he can comfort them or whatever if things are going wrong. It's just that he knows European football and his own players better than the back of his hand and on this stage he can motivate a group of mediocre players to play as a unit and play as eachother, each of them knowing exactly what role to play and being flexible enough to work around whatever formation the manager chooses. There are no more signs that Sven can do this unfortunately for England.

ReputationRep:
    Oh....my.....god.
    Rafael Benitez as England manager. I'm speechless.

ReputationRep:
    The england team seems a lot closer then the ones under previous managers, and there are also no stories about them going for a boozer the night before a match, but also I can't see how you can want to sack sven after just ONE loss in qualification, he has one of the best records as england manger and people want him sacked because he isn't english, as they would prefer to lose under an english manager as that would be more patriotic.

ReputationRep:
    Well for starters no one is suggesting Rafa should replace Sven. The fact that he has a long term contract with us and would probably have **** all reason to want to manage England would be a slight problem. But considering he is currently up there with Mourinho as the best young manager in Europe, he'd do a decent job methinks

My point about Benitez was simply to say a manager doesn't have to be like O'Neill or Stuart Pearce on the touchline to be succesful.

ReputationRep:
    Do England have a chance of winning the World Cup or any other major competition, yes. Is it a realistic chance? no i dont think so. Under Sven they havent entered the major compettions with the right preparations or with frame of mind or in the right atmospheric conditons; name all the excuses but all of these factors would have to go our way in order for us to win a major tournament.

Because of this I dont believe Sven should be lambasted for not winning every competition. He is not the best tactician in the managerial world, he is not the quickest one to see his own faults but I still see him as a stronger and more successful manager than, Brian/Bobby Robson, Curbishley or Venables.

Wednesdays defeat was to a decent, maturing team who will produce upsets, (wasnt this the team that beat Spain a year ago?) so it shouldnt be the end of the world.

Allardyce is the only man i think is better than Sven at the moment, he will be a good England manager, he thinks and plays the way England player play best, aggresive, fast moving football but with a logical brain on him and yes he instills that passion discussed above. Sven has only lost two Qualifiers and what four other competitive matches, do you sack a premiership manager because he has lost 6 games? No.

ReputationRep:
    Its Walshies lucky week

ReputationRep:
    I did say in the UFT that England would ahve a hard time scoring, it would seem I was right. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    As for the blood and sweat, that was Pig's. LOL. So thanks to him.

I asked for it as I found myself deleting or closing threads and pointing peeps in the direction of the UFT and I didnt feel it was fair. However football would have taken over the whole forum if I hadn't and that wouldn't have been fair. Now folks can digress and not be as constrained and I don't have to do as much work, which is always a plus.

As for the 'boverd mate', I watch too much Cathrine Tate.

Face,boverd, not!!

ReputationRep:
    Shame we didn't have Martin O'Neill before the NI clash in a way. The manager of NI is English leading Northern Ireland against the England manager who is Northern Irish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    The Pompey away kit is pretty awful... RED and GOLD don't really mix.
    Blue and gold does.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.