Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the paper the day after the Chelski game, Sheff weds Versus Leeds pulled a bigger crowd in the Championship (think the difference was about 500) just under 30,000!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if TV is to blame! TV can never compare to actually being at the match.

ReputationRep:
    True Onearmedbandit, but it is also probably true that a lot of people will never get first hand experience of going to a match because they will always have the option of watching it on the tv.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MickG)
    True Onearmedbandit, but it is also probably true that a lot of people will never get first hand experience of going to a match because they will always have the option of watching it on the tv.
    Footballs always dull! Simple sport for simple minds!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MickG)
    Depends who you support... Pompey haven't been on TV at all lately. Everyone's (TV & the pundits etc) cuddling up to West Ham.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how much prices have to do with it, prices were pretty much the same last season and there were full stadiums everywhere. It seems that the bubble has burst (to some extent), I don't know the premiership has so far been really dire this season - I'm finding the games hard to watch even on TV - even just the highlights.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like i have found another Rover!!

I will be coming up for this match! Making the most of my season ticket before uni! The atmosphere at Ewood will be awesome this weekend, Souness will get a nasty reception i imagine and wont be made to feel at home! Yet Shearer will get a huge cheer when he comes out and possibly even chants to him from the Blackburn fans.

Newcastle are without their first choice midfield and this is where Blackburn must capitalise.... we need to play 2 up top, not just 1, and Bentley needs to start instead of Emerton! I think Rovers can win this one - 2-1 and i think it will be a really really exciting match to watch. We just have to make sure we dont try and think its too easy and throw it away....

ReputationRep:
    Oh and as for Blackburn been dirty i disagree... i was having this conversation with 2 people at work last night who didnt know i was a Rover... and they were saying how they would consider teams like Blackburn to be hard (as opposed to been dirty) and teams like Bolton/Arsenal etc (who dive, cheat etc etc) where as often the Blackburn bookings/red cards are simply because of hard tackles... Define it as dirty if you will but i would say players of Van Persie's and Dioufs kind are far worse than anything Blackburn have....

ReputationRep:
    Watford110. What were your views when you sacked Lewington and brought in Boothroyd? Just interested cos i know a lot of Watford fans were sick about it!!!
    Should be a good game tomorrow, i shall not be attending (but sorta wish i was!), i predict a 1-1 draw! Pericard will get our goal in the 2nd half after Les Ferdinand heads you infront early on!!!

Tell you something though, you hit two screamers against Norwich!!! Marlon King's goal was pure class (i'm sure he used to be ****), and Youngs goal was also quality!!!

SickBoy, it doesn't make me feel sick at all mate ;-) It's a shame your boys couldn't carry on playing in the 2nd half of our match!! The first half was a brilliant performance from Coventry then you shut up shop and to be honest got what you deserved in the end!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think you make a great point about overkill on television. There really does seem to be a huge number of games on tele nowadays and the Football First package on sky (watching any 50mins highlights) hasn't helped. The death of football will be when saturday 3pm games are being televised or live on the net.

Ticket prices also take the piss. I can understand london clubs to an extent but they are still hugely over priced but clubs like Birmingham charging £40+ is pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham are charging 42 for Liverpool away fans, thats ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    Supporting blackburn i am in no position to comment about low attendances... but i will start by saying - Blackburn is a town of population 100000, to fill ewood park effectively 1/3rd of the population has to turn up - where as most clubs are in large cities - ie manchester, london, birmingham so they are always more likely to sell out.

Ticket prices are ridiculous nowadays, people will not pay more than £30 to see anyone but Chelsea, Arsenal or Man UTD, as the football is a much lower quality in my opinion. Clubs like Spurs have loyal support and will always sell out regardless of prices.... I think the fact that Blackburn brought less than 400 to Chelsea last season at £40 a ticket tells you it is overpriced.... expecially when travel costs £30+ for myself...

More football on the internet and TV is also a massive contributing factor as people now can save their money for big matches and watch the rest at home... As long as it is happening to all clubs it is not a problem, but as far as i can tell its the smaller clubs who are having problems, and this will reuslt in less income which inevitably will make the gap between the top 5 and the bottom 15 huge and this cant be allowed to happen.

I believe in Italy, Juventus have TV rights or something to all their games so they get as much money from that as they do the stadium selling out (televised world wide) and last season their average attendance was 22/23000 so it can work out well for clubs...

And remember.... 3/4 out of the 5 saturdays so far have had the Ashes cricket on them, so maybe people would rather watch that?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, Footie (and rugby) should have remained amateur. I was very disappointed to see the usually sensible Niall Quinn talking absolute *******s in the Guardian today in defence or oor Wayne Rooney.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)
    And remember.... 3/4 out of the 5 saturdays so far have had the Ashes cricket on them, so maybe people would rather watch that?
    If anything, the Ashes highlighted the kind of sportsmen that the premiership is infested with at the moment. After the Edgbaston test I saw Flintoff immediately go over to his opponent. Flintoff had battered and bruised Lee in the name of victory as he was desperate to get that last wicket for victory. Once they did, the first thing Flintoff did was go over to Lee to console him and give him a good old "well played mate". I flick over to the charity shield a couple of hours later to see Didier Drogba roll around 50 times after he lost his footing and almost see a fight break out on the field as a result of him moaning when he didn't get a penalty. Makes ya wonder why pay so much money every week to see those sorts of incidents.

ReputationRep:
    Players want more and more money which obviously influences the ticket prices. The clubs want more money for players for which clubs are prepared to pay.

Its great to see that fans are avoiding turning up to matches which cost £35 for a ticket for a 1st round CL Game against Anderlecht.

Lampard stated "its asking a lot from the fans" but then states "the fans did come, got behind us and we enjoyed the game" - in other words, tough sh*t, move on.

Its disgusting. I will not pay £35 to see a Premier league side (ever). Unless inflation went through the roof of course. I much prefer to see grass roots football where you can interact, watch, make friends etc without it costing a bomb.
    Even the players say hello and welcome you, you get to see a lot more of the action as well. Great. Thats what a great day watching football is all about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    I think you make a great point about overkill on television. There really does seem to be a huge number of games on tele nowadays and the Football First package on sky (watching any 50mins highlights) hasn't helped. The death of football will be when saturday 3pm games are being televised or live on the net.

Ticket prices also take the piss. I can understand london clubs to an extent but they are still hugely over priced but clubs like Birmingham charging £40+ is pathetic.
    They already are available live on the net...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    They already are available live on the net...
    I meant legally and not TV stations in the middle/far east etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    I meant legally and not TV stations in the middle/far east etc.
    I think it is legal. I've forgotten the address but I know afireinside was using it to watch the everton v pompey match last saturday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doddy87)
    Watford110. What were your views when you sacked Lewington and brought in Boothroyd? Just interested cos i know a lot of Watford fans were sick about it!!!
    Should be a good game tomorrow, i shall not be attending (but sorta wish i was!), i predict a 1-1 draw! Pericard will get our goal in the 2nd half after Les Ferdinand heads you infront early on!!!

Tell you something though, you hit two screamers against Norwich!!! Marlon King's goal was pure class (i'm sure he used to be ****), and Youngs goal was also quality!!!

SickBoy, it doesn't make me feel sick at all mate ;-) It's a shame your boys couldn't carry on playing in the 2nd half of our match!! The first half was a brilliant performance from Coventry then you shut up shop and to be honest got what you deserved in the end!!!!
    I'll shout extra loud.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    i think (and I'm not just saying this as a Rover!) that Blackburn , admittedly do deserve some of their red cards, theya re no more dirty than alot of the other teams out there - becuase of the individual players (Savage, Bellamy, Dickov, etc) and their reputations, the club has gained a reputation, and so referees are on the look out for any dirty behaviour, and so it gets picked up on more by refs!

So how did you get to being a blackburn fan, ciderpercy? Pretty unusual choice for someone who lives in Bristol!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.