Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter who you have in defence. You'll win the match because there only is one David Healy on the international scene!

ReputationRep:
    Woodgate may be in for a shout later in the season, but he'll probably end up as a sub. England must have the quickest centre backs around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    One thing I've noticed, and people haven't mentioned on here, is what about people taking up other sports? Besides, there is more to life than football and it is early on in the season. Whilst at university I hope to take up activities that perhaps I can't do as much when I leave etc.

Dont you ever... ever... EVER say that again....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)
    Dont you ever... ever... EVER say that again....
    So sex is out of the question huh? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    England, Scotland, Italy, Austria, Canada.

I'm something of a mongrel, but on a positive my goalkeeping skills several years ago were positiveley commented upon in Sunday League.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ancientone)
    I'm something of a mongrel, but on a positive my goalkeeping skills several years ago were positiveley commented upon in Sunday League.
    Thats pretty good. Highlight of my football career was recieving a 2/3 grade in core P.E for my goalkeeping .

ReputationRep:
    Incorrect, Jamie. It's a fantastic result for Grimsby, and for football - as the saying goes, giant killings and all that. Still, 'one to watch for the season'? I somehow doubt that. For a start, even if we're only talking the best cup game of the season, how will we know until all the draws for all the cup rounds have been made?

ReputationRep:
    Well you have to get your priorities right.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it should be neville, ferdinand,terry and cole and in near future post world cup make terry captain.

ReputationRep:
    English football has a major problem. There's the issue of players wages. I personally don't have a problem with players earning good wages, but some of them are taking the - you know what. There's recent contract talks that were an insult! Whatever you think of one particular individual who missed a drugs test, the fact is the club, and more importantly the fans, stuck by him and he stabbed us in the back by refusing to sign a new contract - on his money! It's obscene. I also had issues with the club and the way they treat fans. I can only talk about my club-but when they screwed up a ticket allocation, it took FIVE communications with them to get a refund. I also had to write to them half a dozen times about a separate issue to do with tickets. They also said they'd not received a letter I'd sent to the chief executive, and then replied to the content of the letter several weeks later. In other words they lied to me. I suspect I'm not the only fan of a premiership club who's had similar experiences. The simple fact is that Premiership clubs take their fans for granted and the fans have had enough. I will always support my club, I was born there and they are my local club. I've supported them through thick and thin, from glorious victories to ignominious relegation. But they will always be my team emotionally and yes, spiritually. However what passes now for football is not what I was brought up with, and I have no respect for the Premiership and the clubs that inhabit it. So whilst I am emotionally tied to the club, I have started watching football at a so called lower level. Over the last few weeks I have been able to applaud a goal against my team without worrying about idiots sat behind me. I have shared the same stand with fans from opposing teams. I have met and talked to more football fans over the last few weeks than over the last ten years at Premiership games. And yes, I am enjoying my football again. And if that's not a real concern for the Premiership, then I don't know what is.

ReputationRep:
    sol campbell (Arsenal Ltd) is on 100k a week, his earnings in around 10 days equal the prime minsters annual salary. This is the pathetic thing about football, and I laugh at fans who turn up week in week out to worship players who represent greed.

I hope fans boycott matches in their thousands and give these clubs a big wake up call!

English premiership Ltd is nothing more than a big money grabbing scheme where working class fans are supporting the unethical wages of a bunch of people whose only skill is the abilty to kick around a ball of air

ReputationRep:
    yer never know, there could be a repeat performance in the FA cup 3rd round! Mind you, I'd rather it was a non-league side like Morecambe that knocked Chelsea, now that would be a tie of the season!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Clearly you dont understand that you can qualify for a nation through the nationality of your direct ancestors up to your grandparents.
    That's not exactly true. Eligibility for international matches is determined by Article 15 of the Regulations Governing the Application of the Statutes

Article 15

Principle

1. Any person holding the nationality of a country is eligible to play for the representative teams of the Association of his country. The Executive Committee shall decide on the conditions of eligibility for any Player whose nationality entitles him to represent more one Association.

2. As a general rule, any Player who has already represented one Association (either in full or in part) in an official competition of any category may not play an international match with another Association team.

3. If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new nationality, or if the Player is eligible to play for several Association teams due to his nationality, the following exceptions apply:

(a) Up to his 21st birthday, a player may only once request changing the Association for which he is eligible to play international matches.

A Player may exercise this right to change Associations only if he has not played at “A” international level for his current Association and if, at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition of any other category, he already had such nationalities. Changing Associations is not permitted during the preliminary competition of a FIFA competition, continental championship or Olympic Tournaments if a player has already been fielded in a match of one of these competitions.

(b) Any Player who has already acquired eligibility to play for one Association but has another nationality imposed upon him by a government authority, is also entitled to change associations. This provision is not subject to any age limits.

4. Any Player who wishes to exercise this right to change Associations shall submit a written and substantiated request to the FIFA general secretariat. After submitting the request, the player is no longer qualified to play for his current Association’s team. The Players’ Status Committee shall decide on the request. The committee’s decision may be brought before the Appeal Committee. The Regulations for the Status and Transfer of Players contain more detailed provisions.

5. Any Players who have already had their 21st birthday at the time of implementation of these provisions and who fulfil the requirements in par. 3 (a) are also entitled to submit such a request to change Associations. This entitlement will expire definitively twelve months after implementation of this provision.
    For people in most countries this is usually rather straightforward in that you may play for any team you are a national of provided you haven't played a full match for another, however in the UK this is obviously complicated by the fact that there's no such thing as English or Scottish nationality in law. The home nations therefore have a gentlemen's agreement defining what country a player can play for, and this is where the grandfather rule arises from. A British citizen can play for any home nation where either he, his natural parents or any of his natural grandparents were born.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedRenengade)
    Clearly non of you understand, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR ANCESTRY IS!!!!!!!!

Your all stating your ethnic origin not your nationality!!
    LMAO! Calm down mate, your wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Scotland, England, Ireland (Republic).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BexTait)
    yer never know, there could be a repeat performance in the FA cup 3rd round! Mind you, I'd rather it was a non-league side like Morecambe that knocked Chelsea, now that would be a tie of the season!
    Or Man Utd, or Arsenal for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    northern ireland only.

ReputationRep:
    there are some people who have represented 2 countries at full international level, but I can't think of their names. I know that Ryan Giggs played for England schoolboys before becoming a full int'nl for Wales.

ReputationRep:
    Eligibility for the schoolboy sides depeneds on where you live, not your nationality. Giggs can't play for the England national side.

In ye olden days it wasn't that uncommon for people to play for more than one national side (Puskas and di Stefano for example), but FIFA tightened up on that a long time ago. Nowadays its generally people whose country has become independent who end up playing for more than one (Kanchelskis for the USSR and then the Ukraine for example).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    Eligibility for the schoolboy sides depeneds on where you live, not your nationality. Giggs can't play for the England national side.
    Only because he has played for Wales, if he hadn't he would be eligible for England :cool:

(Original post by Chrism)
    In ye olden days it wasn't that uncommon for people to play for more than one national side (Puskas and di Stefano for example), but FIFA tightened up on that a long time ago. Nowadays its generally people whose country has become independent who end up playing for more than one (Kanchelskis for the USSR and then the Ukraine for example).
    pretty sure Kanchelskis didn't play for the Ukraine...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.