Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    Only because he has played for Wales, if he hadn't he would be eligible for England :cool:
    false. giggs was not eligible for the england national side. he, his parents, and his grandparents are all welsh.

ReputationRep:
    England or Poland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Records are there to be broken. I doubt any record has stood untouched for say 10 years or more.

The best Arsenal side could not beat the best Chelsea side because of discipline, defence and organisation. In fact, the score line would be 1-0 to the Blues, you know it. :cool:
    No the Arsenal of two seasons ago would have beat the Chelsea of now, as I believe the Chelsea of now would not have been able to withstand the enslaught of the Arsenal attack back then, after all the Arsenal of 2 seasons ago consisted of about 7/8 consistent goalscorers. Ultimately YOUR Defence and limited choice of true goalscorers would have let you down.

(Original post by Kuz)
    No the Arsenal of two seasons ago would have beat the Chelsea of now, as I believe the Chelsea of now would not have been able to withstand the enslaught of the Arsenal attack back then, after all the Arsenal of 2 seasons ago consisted of about 7/8 consistent goalscorers. Ultimately YOUR Defence and limited choice of true goalscorers would have let you down.
    May be true, but we have to remember that "games are won through attacking, titles are won by defense". If you can defend as a unit and from the front, odds are that even the best attacking sides will have problems. Believe me, I'd love for Arsenal to beat Chelsea. Your football's definitely aesthetically pleasing, and doesn't make me have a strong desire to claw my eyes out - I'd much rather fork out to go to Highbury than the Bridge (not least because of the price difference). It's just a wee bit circumspect to suggest that Arsenal of yesteryear would undoubtedly beat Chelsea of today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    May be true, but we have to remember that "games are won through attacking, titles are won by defense". If you can defend as a unit and from the front, odds are that even the best attacking sides will have problems. Believe me, I'd love for Arsenal to beat Chelsea. Your football's definitely aesthetically pleasing, and doesn't make me have a strong desire to claw my eyes out - I'd much rather fork out to go to Highbury than the Bridge (not least because of the price difference). It's just a wee bit circumspect to suggest that Arsenal of yesteryear would undoubtedly beat Chelsea of today.
    I know Chelsea are at the top of their game now, but to me they just DO NOT look unbeatable, (not to say I don't think they will run away with the title because they are ultra disciplined, and of course the money they have spent on players... and no I'm not a person that think Chelsea's spending power is the root of all evil... out loud... but seriously it may happen 2 us 1 day). But when we were at the top of our game it was literally like you score 2 we score 20. And we did score each we committed. However now due to our lack of finishing, and a aggressive passionate captain to implement this mentality we have fallen behind. However I don't believe the Chelsea of today would have been able to put up with this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuz)
    The Arsenal of two seasons ago was beaten by Chelsea though...in the champions league. And we were nowhere near being the team we are now.

Arsenal's 'fantastic' attacking football works great against rubbish defences but you seem to run out of ideas and become frustrated against better defences. This explains your poor record recently against chelsea, man utd, and, of course, in europe. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuz)
    Ah but with so many goals coming from midfield and the all important John Terry header here and there from set plays could make all the difference. The only problem with Chelsea with goalscoring is their strikers, their midfield is fine enough as it is. Also, remember who scored the second most goals last season, their attacking force is perhaps not as bad as people make out it is...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukeD)
    The Arsenal of two seasons ago was beaten by Chelsea though...in the champions league. And we were nowhere near being the team we are now.

Arsenal's 'fantastic' attacking football works great against rubbish defences but you seem to run out of ideas and become frustrated against better defences. This explains your poor record recently against chelsea, man utd, and, of course, in europe. :p:
    And look which league is most dominant in the Champions League finals - Serie A. Is it that surprising really? :rolleyes: Remember, Arsenal only play one way...

ReputationRep:
    Please vote for your best player.

1 Petr Cech
    2 Glen Johnson
    3 Asier Del Horno
    4 Claude Makelele
    5 Mickael Essien
    6 Alberto Ricardo Carvalho
    8 Frank Lampard
    9 Hernan Crespo
    10 Joe Cole
    11 Damien Duff
    12 Carlton Cole
    13 William Gallas
    14 Njitap Geremi
    15 Didier Drogba
    16 Arjen Robben
    18 Wayne Bridge
    19 Lassana Diarra (Reserve)
    20 Renato Paulo Ferreira
    22 Eidur Gudjohnsen
    23 Carlo Cudicini
    24 Shaun Wright-Phillips
    26 John Terry
    29 Robert Huth

ReputationRep:
    Non-Chelsea fans, please vote for the player you would most like to shoot if you had a gun with 1 bullet.

1 Petr Cech
    2 Glen Johnson
    3 Asier Del Horno
    4 Claude Makelele
    5 Mickael Essien
    6 Alberto Ricardo Carvalho
    8 Frank Lampard
    9 Hernan Crespo
    10 Joe Cole
    11 Damien Duff
    12 Carlton Cole
    13 William Gallas
    14 Njitap Geremi
    15 Didier Drogba
    16 Arjen Robben
    18 Wayne Bridge
    19 Lassana Diarra (Reserve)
    20 Renato Paulo Ferreira
    22 Eidur Gudjohnsen
    23 Carlo Cudicini
    24 Shaun Wright-Phillips
    26 John Terry
    29 Robert Huth

ReputationRep:
    For the first one, 10...the other one 15

ReputationRep:
    1 bullet it would be between robben for nt going to united and drogba for acting all cocky whilst being the worst player on the team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiggaman7)
    1 bullet it would be between robben for nt going to united and drogba for acting all cocky whilst being the worst player on the team

United suckzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz

CHELSEA are :champ:

nike_inc: 11. Damien Duff
    Reloaded: 8. Frank Lampard

ReputationRep:
    best player is cech

and shoot the lampshade

ReputationRep:
    Best player: Makelele
    Would like to shoot: Drogba - so frustrating to watch him play like a muppet.

(I'm a fan of Chelsea)

ReputationRep:
    Cech probs

ReputationRep:
    best player - lampard
    player i want to shoot - i'll keep the bullet for RVN, but of course he would roll around in the box afterwards wanting a penalty

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping for a good cup run, but it's hardly likely now (unless it's in the FA Cup).

A top six place should do Tottenham this year. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    In terms of goals, assists over last 2 or 3 seasons...probably Lampard.

Its almost impossible to decide between him, Terry and Makalele though.
    Cech is obviously class but he doesn't usually have much to do.
    Essien is looking like a good player.

...and drogba for acting all cocky whilst being the worst player on the team
    LOL

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.