Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    Bundesliga is pretty underrated IMO. Too many people cream themselves over La Liga.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    The Premiership has never been boring as such, but there is definitely and downward trend, which is reflected in the style of play and consequently the poor attendance figures.
    And Chelsea made their largest attendance (42,146) since 1986 against Aston Villa. I've always noticed that attendances at the beginning of the season are always low. Plus there's too much football on the TV to start with.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Bundesliga is pretty underrated IMO. Too many people cream themselves over La Liga.
    I wouldn't say that, there are some crackers in La Liga. Games aren't at all predictable, money does not equal success, stadiums are packed, success is evident in Europe.

Real Madrid can be beaten 3-0 by relative minnows. Can you see Sunderland thrashing Arsenal?

ReputationRep:
    Real Madrid can be beaten 3-0 by relative minnows. Can you see Sunderland thrashing Arsenal?
    It's not impossible.

Also our country is too much into football for what it's worth. If I wanted more entertainment I'd watch rugby both union (Australia v New Zealand) and some domestic rugby league matches (Leeds v Bradford) rather than football all the time. More to life than football.

And Chelsea made their largest attendance (42,146) since 1986 against Aston Villa. I've always noticed that attendances at the beginning of the season are always low.
    Which is still not filling The Bridge to capacity. You see my point? It's all well and good noting that attendances are low in the beginning, but you're the Title Holders and are breaking records for your league start. Not only are your away games not followed, but even your Champions' League matches are filled only to 2/3. It's not just Chelsea, we all recognise that, but it's a big example and argument to be made.

Plus there's too much football on the TV to start with.
    Agreed. Get rid of these irregular kickoff times, refuse MUTV etc

ReputationRep:
    Which is still not filling The Bridge to capacity. You see my point? It's all well and good noting that attendances are low in the beginning, but you're the Title Holders and are breaking records for your league start. Not only are your away games not followed, but even your Champions' League matches are filled only to 2/3. It's not just Chelsea, we all recognise that, but it's a big example and argument to be made.

Agreed. Get rid of these irregular kickoff times, refuse MUTV etc
    I agree. Although Chelsea's capacity is only 42,449, making it the largest league ground in London until Arsenal's new Emirates Stadium opens in 2006.

It's not impossible.
    Take a look at the La Liga table. Don't you think that is good for Spanish Football? Getafe's bubble will burst, no doubt about that, but Spain must be buzzing. Their league isn't already over, and the big spenders aren't monopolising.

Also our country is too much into football for what it's worth. If I wanted more entertainment I'd watch rugby both union (Australia v New Zealand) and some domestic rugby league matches (Leeds v Bradford) rather than football all the time. More to life than football.
    It's the national sport, it's what happens. We've aready gone down the road of what football means to different people - and just because you go to football matches doesn't mean you can't be an avid cricket fan.

ReputationRep:
    The national sport of England isn't football from the last time I heard - it's cricket.

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at the La Liga table. Don't you think that is good for Spanish Football? Getafe's bubble will burst, no doubt about that, but Spain must be buzzing. Their league isn't already over, and the big spenders aren't monopolising.
    Spanish football has kack defending and the big sides defend like custard, e.g. Barcelona and Real Madrid. Nobody's league is over, unless you failed mathematics at school. :rolleyes: Real Madrid, the big spenders of Spain, aren't monopolising because they can't gel all these stars as a team, they are just a bunch of individuals.

Spanish football has kack defending and the big sides defend like custard, e.g. Barcelona and Real Madrid. Nobody's league is over, unless you failed mathematics at school. :rolleyes: Real Madrid, the big spenders of Spain, aren't monopolising because they can't gel all these stars as a team, they are just a bunch of individuals.
    Precisely, it's teaching us a lesson. There, money =/= cups and that's the way it should be - although it obviously doesn't come down to this as such. As for my maths, it'll take a minor miracle for Chelsea not to win the damn thing.

But this isn't about Chelsea, it's about Premiership football as a whole... before this thread descends into Pool/Chelsea ****ging.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that it perhaps should have been a red card. :eek:
    Should have been from what i have seen.... but we still won so...

ReputationRep:
    Supporting Blackbur i went for the game... not that i want the game to be better than the result, but as i am used to results not going our way... i dont really care about the result, obviosuly winning is my aim and i enjoy winning but as long as i get to see my team playing 90 minutes of football i dont really care for the result unless its a win/draw, then i will be delighted... i will be sad with a loss but as long as the rovers give 100% i cant ask any more....

ReputationRep:
    Man Utd
    West Ham
    Newcastle
    Spurs

Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Chelsea

ReputationRep:
    Losers will always say the game, I am sorry if I offend anyone but thats my opinion. Its no use saying 'ah, they played really well, but they lost'. Losing don't get you no where.
    The result at the end of the day is the one that matters, the result is the one that gets the cups/trophies and to be up there at the top.

Okay yeah, its a pain in the butt if you have paid out x amount to watch your team and its blooming boring, but if they win, does it really matter. You don't pay to watch them play good and then still lose.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea fans will always say that ^^. :p:

I found the Newcastle match where we lost, much more entertaining than the Bolton game which we lost... i found the the spurs game where we drew, more entertaining than the fulham game we won... but the best one was Man Utd... that was sweet.

ReputationRep:
    The result is short term. Without the game to keep the supporters enthralled people lose interest. Not quickly but gradually. The mark of a great team is the ability to win and to win well. Man Utd and Arsenal were both magnificent attacking teams. Chelsea cannot be described as such.

ReputationRep:
    I thought chelsea had loads of 4-0 wins last season and score at least 2 goals a game this season, thats more then any other team. I support Leeds and so saw what happened when you didn't play for the results and played attacking football, it looked good but we always conceded in the last 15 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea fan or not. If I supported a different team I would still say the same. You want your team winning and if they played crap and won so be it. The outcome is they won. Chelsea sometimes can be very boring to watch and others exciting, its the winning that matters.

Whoever said its the taking part that counts, not the winning, came last!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent p......?)
    I thought chelsea had loads of 4-0 wins last season and score at least 2 goals a game this season, thats more then any other team. I support Leeds and so saw what happened when you didn't play for the results and played attacking football, it looked good but we always conceded in the last 15 minutes.
    Scoring a lot of goals does not always go hand in hand with creative, attacking football. Celtic under MoN would thrash teams ever other week but they, like the current chelsea team, did not play attacking football or anything which could remotely be described as flair play.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.