Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    And they love their barcodes. Wondered how long it would take for that joke to be made on here. I was supporting Newcastle on Sunday, of course.

ReputationRep:
    *joins kingslaw on moral high ground*

Pah, I support my local and League 2 side, Leyton Orient and the amount of people I see talking about somehow having to support a premiership side is sad. The fact that most of these so called "Premiership supporters" are mostly armchair supporters in that they rarely go to watch their team play usually whining about "Its too expensive, its too far or I can never get any tickets" and the only connection with the club they have, is sitting at home watching MOTD or sitting in the pub or at home watching on Sky in their replica strip and some dare I say have never even been to actually watch their team live.

My team, is surrounded by 5 Premiership clubs being within 6 miles of us being Tottenham, Arsenal, Charlton and West Ham and yet we still manage to hold our own in terms in terms of being a Football League club whereas every other shirt I see around East London is a Manchester United, Liverpool or Arsenal shirt. If more people were actually loyal to their local team, we'd be more successful as a club and its hard enough as it is...

I intend to stick with my local team through thick and thin, we were 80 minutes from relegation out of the football league in the penultimate game of the season 2 seasons ago and now we're the only team in the league with a 100% win record...

ReputationRep:
    Ah but the question remains: do you have to watch your team live to be a supporter? Fans may say yes but it's not all about contributing your part in the turn styles anymore. You can help your own team by purchasing merchandise and services etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seabiscuit)
    *joins kingslaw on moral high ground*

Pah, I support my local and League 2 side, Leyton Orient and the amount of people I see talking about somehow having to support a premiership side is sad. The fact that most of these so called "Premiership supporters" are mostly armchair supporters in that they rarely go to watch their team play usually whining about "Its too expensive, its too far or I can never get any tickets" and the only connection with the club they have, is sitting at home watching MOTD or sitting in the pub or at home watching on Sky in their replica strip and some dare I say have never even been to actually watch their team live.

My team, is surrounded by 5 Premiership clubs being within 6 miles of us being Tottenham, Arsenal, Charlton and West Ham and yet we still manage to hold our own in terms in terms of being a Football League club whereas every other shirt I see around East London is a Manchester United, Liverpool or Arsenal shirt. If more people were actually loyal to their local team, we'd be more successful as a club and its hard enough as it is...

I intend to stick with my local team through thick and thin, we were 80 minutes from relegation out of the football league in the penultimate game of the season 2 seasons ago and now we're the only team in the league with a 100% win record...
    Not necessarily true. What about the people who live near there local club who just happen to be in the premiership? What should they do? Not support them and go find the second closest team in the next league down to support?

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Ah but the question remains: do you have to watch your team live to be a supporter? Fans may say yes but it's not all about contributing your part in the turn styles anymore. You can help your own team by purchasing merchandise and services etc.
    I still think that to have any real affiliation with a club, you need to go to the games. It's all well and good buying your shirt and lining the pockets of the sharehlders (in the case of certain clubs), but football's not supposed to be about material possessions and boasting. It's all about the emotions and feelings - which are never conveyed as well on the TV as by forking out £30 and being in the stands.

ReputationRep:
    Very true Raindance. Its about screaming yourself hoarse on the terraces (in the stands). Is a random Japanese person who buys a Man Utd shirt who's never been to England let alone Old Trafford a true supporter?

Of course those who have a Premiership club as their local club have every right to support them but there is clearly a lot who I speak to and see down here who obviously don't happen to live near Old Trafford.

I'm not even saying that you HAVE to support your local team, some people may have other personal reasons for supporting a team despite not living near them and I don't mind those at all, but in my opinion, choosing to support a team just because they win all the time or are successful or are just a big club they have no connection with is wrong in my book.

When you have smaller clubs going out of business because of ITV Digital and the amount of money at the big clubs, spare them a bob or two before spending your money on the Premiership cash cow...

ReputationRep:
    I support Crystal Palace, they are my local team and I became greatly attatched to them through some gentle persuasion from family friends, and have been going since I was 7 and have had a season ticket since I was 9. I have travelled up and down the country since I was about 16 watching them, and have seen the 2 promotions of 97 and 2004 in person

My dad, a Liverpudlian born and bred, always encouraged me to support a team local to me rather than end up an estranged Red. I love Liverpool with all my heart, and now my dad isn't with me anymore I will still continue to support them but probably won't get to go up to Anfield as much as I can't afford it! Palace are always my priority as they are "my team" but Liverpool are a close 2nd

(Original post by Seabiscuit)
    Of course those who have a Premiership club as their local club have every right to support them but there is clearly a lot who I speak to and see down here who obviously don't happen to live near Old Trafford.

I'm not even saying that you HAVE to support your local team, some people may have other personal reasons for supporting a team despite not living near them and I don't mind those at all, but in my opinion, choosing to support a team just because they win all the time or are successful or are just a big club they have no connection with is wrong in my book.
    Around here, Hertfordshire, there are very few football teams around - definitely an eye-opener when I moed down here from Liverpool. The true local team is Stevenage Borough - but I see few connections in the community with them. Instead, as it's only 40km away, the kids look towards London - or is often the case, Old Trafford. Fair play to them, 7 years ago the majority supported Spurs - the closest established club. However, you could see the kids who were proudly sporting their Spurs kit eventually commit a cardinal sin of swapping it for Arsenal's. Go down to the Common now and ask some kids who are having knock about of their team and it'll be Chelsea.

Really, I find that you'll find the glory hunters who've never been to see their team play in white, middle class areas without a proximity to a league team. What doesn't help around here is it's a place where families move in from over parts of Britain as the commuting to London is easy. The children won't support the team of their parents as it's unfashionable in the playground to support a Div 1 side, or a lower table club. Everything was far simpler and black and white where I grew up - Liverpool or Everton. Make that blue and red.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    The children won't support the team of their parents as it's unfashionable in the playground to support a Div 1 side, or a lower table club.
    That's where the problem lies. As with most things, it all starts off at an early age. When you're playing football when you're 5 years old and everyone is saying "Free kick by Beckham" just before they kick the ball etc, it suddenly becomes uncool to support anything outside of the top 10 of the premiership.

If people actually grew up with the idea that it's fine to support their local club, then everything would be peachy. However, what are the chances of that happening.

ReputationRep:
    The good clubs are always going to be attractive as most people are fickle and only want to support a team (or anything for that matter) if it's doing well. Local clubs aren't fashionable or popular, you get frowned upon. But you look cool in a Chelsea shirt with mummy and daddy driving you up from Woking to Stamford Bridge to see them in some 2 bob pre-season friendly because thats all you can get to. It's sad.

(Original post by Sophdoph)
    I support Crystal Palace, they are my local team and I became greatly attatched to them through some gentle persuasion from family friends, and have been going since I was 7 and have had a season ticket since I was 9. I have travelled up and down the country since I was about 16 watching them, and have seen the 2 promotions of 97 and 2004 in person
    I've always had a thing about Palace... lived in Croydon for a year, so that must be it! Thinking about it, do any of you have an adopted 'second club' that you look out for? Palace aside, I've always had a thing for Wolves and Molineux.

ReputationRep:
    Aylesbury United F.C :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I still think that to have any real affiliation with a club, you need to go to the games. It's all well and good buying your shirt and lining the pockets of the sharehlders (in the case of certain clubs), but football's not supposed to be about material possessions and boasting. It's all about the emotions and feelings - which are never conveyed as well on the TV as by forking out £30 and being in the stands.
    But then only certain amount of people can go to top teams with a small ground. Highbury is smaller than Stamford Bridge in terms of capacity. When you buy services and merchandise you help raise revenue to the club.

I'm not complaining though, I've been to Stamford Bridge many times. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophdoph)
    Woking to Stamford Bridge
    got a problem with Woking?

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    But then only certain amount of people can go to top teams with a small ground. Highbury is smaller than Stamford Bridge in terms of capacity. When you buy services and merchandise you help raise revenue to the club.

I'm not complaining though, I've been to Stamford Bridge many times. :cool:
    You can still get tickets for matches - you don't just have to go and see Category A matches. And what do you think the point is of having away supporters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fernando)
    got a problem with Woking?
    No just a long running joke in my friendship group. I like Woking, I change trains there loads

ReputationRep:
    I've always had a thing about Palace... lived in Croydon for a year, so that must be it! Thinking about it, do any of you have an adopted 'second club' that you look out for? Palace aside, I've always had a thing for Wolves and Molineux.
    Unlucky..living in Croydon Kinda look out for my really local team Carshalton Athletic

ReputationRep:
    40% of the people who voted on this poll support teams which amount to 3% of the football league.

Yet no-one admits to supporting their team simply because they're succesful.

Something doesnt figure...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You can still get tickets for matches - you don't just have to go and see Category A matches. And what do you think the point is of having away supporters?
    Yes I'm aware of that. I suppose I've supported Fulham from time to time too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    40% of the people who voted on this poll support teams which amount to 3% of the football league.

Yet no-one admits to supporting their team simply because they're succesful.

Something doesnt figure...:rolleyes:
    A lot of girls I know used to support Man U, then moved to Arsenal, and now support Chelsea. They freely admit they just support whoever is currently "the best" but most people don't want to just say they are following a team purely based on how many trophies they win as it seems fickle.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.