Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0001/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for the best 10 CL winning sides of all times:
    Real Madrid 1956-1960(with Puskas and De stefano)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1971-1973(under Rinus Michels)
    41.67%
    Liverpool 1977-1978(under Paisley)
    41.67%
    Benfica 1961-1962(with Eusebio)
    16.67%
    Inter 1964-1965(under Herrera)
    33.33%
    Bayern Munich 1974-1976(with Beckenbauer and Muller)
    16.67%
    Nottingham Forrest 1979-1980(under Brian.C)
    25.00%
    Milan 1989-1990(under Sacchi)
    25.00%
    P.S.V Eindhoven 1988(under Hiddink)
    16.67%
    Red star Belgrad 1991(with Savicevic and Jugovic)
    0%
    Juventus 1996(under Lippi)
    33.33%
    Ajax 1995(under Van gaal)
    33.33%
    Real Madrid 2002(under Del bosque)
    50.00%
    Bayern Munich 2001(under Hitzfeld)
    25.00%
    Porto 2004(under Mourinho)
    33.33%
    Dortmund 1997(under Hitzfeld)
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Oh I am sorry.

If I wanted to pay money to be entertained I'd goto the cinema or watch a monkey smoke a fag or something.

The inane feeling that draws you to your team on a saturday afternoon (or monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday, sunday) to watch 21 over paid prima-donnas kick a ball around and the joy when your team win, cannot be explained. Obviously it's good to be playing good & entertaining football but I've never woken up and looked at my ticket and hoped "yeah, I hope we get entertained today".
    I agree completely!

Here's a narticle I came across some time ago here.

ReputationRep:
    Entertaining games don't win you trophies...points do!

ReputationRep:
    For those who voted game/entertainment I guess instead of being awarded points judged by whether you win or draw instead you will have four judges who rate your team out of ten? :rolleyes:

It's just as well I haven't come across any Dutch fans who say the game otherwise they can't complain about the lack of winning the World Cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Book-worm)
    We are the most successfull british team ever mate..why would supporting them be a daft thing to do?
    You mean like all those people who started to support Man Utd in the 90s, Arsenal a bit later on and now all those new Chelsea fans? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho has yet to join in...

ReputationRep:
    Ah but how was the goal scored? Not who scored it but how? Does the term begin with the letter "L"? Now if Chelsea did that...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Every successfull club will get new fans, it's inevitable.

I'm sure everton got a few extra fans after last seasons success, shame it did only seem like a flash in the pan!

What have Heather Mills & Everton got in common?
    Their second leg is
    just
    for show!

Everton have just announced 'Easy Jet' as the new club sponsor - They
    will
    get new shirts with ''in and out of Europe in a few hours'' printed
    on.

An old lady falls over outside Goodison and Moyes goes over to help.
    He
    asks the lady can she manage and she says
    ''F*ck off I don't want the job!''

After Everton's crap start to the season I nailed my season ticket to
    the
    club gates in disgust. Next day I had a change of heart and went back
    for
    it - and some b*stard had ncked the nail.

Rumour has it that Everton have got a new sponsor: Tampax. The board
    thought it was an appropriate change as the club is going through a
    very bad period.

Have you heard the one about the Evertonian who bought a 'Golden Goal'
    ticket and found the word "October" written inside when he opened it!?

What's the difference between Nigel Martyn and a taxi driver? A taxi
    driver only lets in four at a time

Why does David Moyes keep visiting Argos? Because that is the only way
    he can pick up any Premier points

Whats the difference between Everton and a tea-bag? A tea bag stays in
    the cup longer

David Moyes goes into a building society to deposit some money. Whilst
    there, a robbery takes place, and David is knocked unconsious during
    the struggle. In a few minutes he comes round, but is still very confused.
    "What, er, how, er, where am I?" he mumbles. "Relax. Your in the
    Nationwide" says a paramedic. Moyes replies, "Bloody Hell! You mean
    I've been asleep all season?"

David Moyes went to the Everton Xmas party dressed as a pumpkin. Come
    midnight he still hadn't turned into a coach.

The Post Office have just recalled their latest stamps The special set
    of commemorative stamps had pictures of Man United players on them... but
    people couldn't figure out which side to spit on.

ReputationRep:
    Man Utd
    Middlesborough
    Newcastle
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Arsenal

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    For those who voted game/entertainment I guess instead of being awarded points judged by whether you win or draw instead you will have four judges who rate your team out of ten? :rolleyes:

It's just as well I haven't come across any Dutch fans who say the game otherwise they can't complain about the lack of winning the World Cup.
    Ermm... blatantly not? My aim as such was to stimulate discussion on positive and negative football, not on the merits of reforming the points system or to define what constitutes a "glory hunter".

Are people truly happy to fork out £30-60 to see 1 shot on target or an own goal? Or doesn't it matter to spend so much for bad quality football, just to have the satisfaction of knowing you're 3pts better off? Premiership teams have it in them to play fantastic football; we have strong defenses, a combatative approach, reasonable finances, and yet no inclination for any spark or brilliance. Even your own Chelsea has the resources to play easily as well in attack as Barcelona or any other top European club who can fill their vast stadiums. Surely that would be more attractive than watching 11 players namby-pambying around trying to get all 11 men behind the half way line when they lose possession. As it is, people are by and large protesting with their feet. It's idealist, I recognise that, but not out of our reach.

ReputationRep:
    Correct.

The Post Office have just recalled their latest stamps The special setof commemorative stamps had pictures of Man United players on them... but people couldn't figure out which side to spit on.
    Not Chelsea? :eek: What?! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    i suppose. but even if they didn't actually score a goal in that match, the play in general was very promising.

paul robinson is spurs' best asset, he is such a fantastic keeper, he is the best defence we have, spurs need to build on their teamwork, but it was a satisfactory win for us, seeing as london derbys tend not to go in spurs' favour!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silence)
    i suppose. but even if they didn't actually score a goal in that match, the play in general was very promising.
    Depends on your view and what you think Spurs can achieve this season though doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Even your own Chelsea has the resources to play easily as well in attack as Barcelona or any other top European club who can fill their vast stadiums. Surely that would be more attractive than watching 11 players namby-pambying around trying to get all 11 men behind the half way line when they lose possession. As it is, people are by and large protesting with their feet. It's idealist, I recognise that, but not out of our reach.
    Ok, we all want to see entertaining games...but that isn't the main reason the attendances are dropping. I would go to every Chelsea game if i could....even if we won 1-0 all the time...but there's just no way i can afford it.
    The bundesliga is hardly the most entertaining league in the world, but because the prices are a lot cheaper, they have (i think) the biggest attendance figures in europe.

ReputationRep:
    Spurs can get a top six place.

I didn't see all the game, but Jol said we had a lot of chances.

I hope we can keep winning until the Ars*nal game in late October!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Are people truly happy to fork out £30-60 to see 1 shot on target or an own goal? Or doesn't it matter to spend so much for bad quality football, just to have the satisfaction of knowing you're 3pts better off?
    Did you go to the Liverpool v Man Utd game this season? If so did you feel ripped off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukeD)
    The bundesliga is hardly the most entertaining league in the world, but because the prices are a lot cheaper, they have (i think) the biggest attendance figures in europe.
    Correct. They have price capping over there.

(Original post by lukeD)
    Ok, we all want to see entertaining games...but that isn't the main reason the attendances are dropping. I would go to every Chelsea game if i could....even if we won 1-0 all the time...but there's just no way i can afford it.
    No, it's not the main reason but you must admit it's a big big factor. TV saturation of televised games, ridiculous ticket prices etc all have links. It's not a big problem yet, but I think it may be in the future. But anyway, my gripe is negative play atm.

And also the most goals per game ratio in europe... I think?

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Did you go to the Liverpool v Man Utd game this season? If so did you feel ripped off?
    No, not for the MU game as it's the MU game. But if that match were against, say, Charlton, I'd be fairly pissed off.

ReputationRep:
    Does this really happen though? Ok, you might get fans who'd lost interest 'coming out of the woodwork' - but i can't really imagine anyone over the age of about eight suddenly swapping teams. I've certainly never met anyone who has. It just goes against what everything about supporting a team is about.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.